Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 429 Old 07-30-2011, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemansfanatic View Post

okay it sounds like this HCHP is what I need, but I'm still new at this, my setup:

In our bedroom, just me and wifey lay directly 3 feet under center of projector (Epson 8350) No other movie watchers from any other angles

No light control - we have white walls ceilings etc

Brightness uniformily doesn't matter to me, only redirecting bounceback light for preserving highest contrast because shadow detail and black levels are the most important thing to me as I will have plenty enough brightness from 9 feet away on 100" manual pulldown screen

Is this what I need? or just regular HC 1.1 gain, or HP white> ahhhh!!!!

With a 100" screen, get the 1.1 HC screen. You do not need the gain of the HP screen at that size using an 8350.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 429 Old 07-30-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondeast View Post

right now i have a 92" high power screen with 2.8..i want to get a bigger screen 120" because i will be getting a new house and the home theater room will be 16'x35'...should i stick to the high power white or hchp? why did they change the gain from 2.8 to 2.4?

I thought that I read that the 2.8 gain was still available.
post #153 of 429 Old 07-30-2011, 05:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 View Post

I thought that I read that the 2.8 gain was still available.

No longer.
post #154 of 429 Old 07-30-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

No longer.

I had read that you could special order it. Is that not correct?
post #155 of 429 Old 07-30-2011, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 View Post

I had read that you could special order it. Is that not correct?

Nope, only available used if you can find one..
post #156 of 429 Old 09-10-2011, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
So, in reading Millerwill's multiple posts it seems like the further you site back from the HCHP, the less light drop off from the corners (no doubt due to the smaller angle involved with moving away, perpendicular, from the screen). My question is, what light percentage drop off is usually perceptible by most people. I know this is a general question, as there are people on AVS that claim to see a gnats ear at 100 feet. But I've read professional reviews that A-B'd pj's that had >20% light difference in side by side viewing and they state that it is hardly perceptible. My main question is, when using FLyboy's gain calculator, is .1-.2 gain dropoff acceptable when using from on access to the furthest viewing position (extreme edge of an 8 ft. long couch). I'm about 14 ft. away from my screen position, I was thinking a 106" but I want to know how if I should go smaller in order to decrease the unevenness in the corners of the screen. (and also whether to go with HCHP or re. HP fabric).

Thanks for any insight.
post #157 of 429 Old 09-10-2011, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post

So, in reading Millerwill's multiple posts it seems like the further you site back from the HCHP, the less light drop off from the corners (no doubt due to the smaller angle involved with moving away, perpendicular, from the screen). My question is, what light percentage drop off is usually perceptible by most people. I know this is a general question, as there are people on AVS that claim to see a gnats ear at 100 feet. But I've read professional reviews that A-B'd pj's that had >20% light difference in side by side viewing and they state that it is hardly perceptible. My main question is, when using FLyboy's gain calculator, is .1-.2 gain dropoff acceptable when using from on access to the furthest viewing position (extreme edge of an 8 ft. long couch). I'm about 14 ft. away from my screen position, I was thinking a 106" but I want to know how if I should go smaller in order to decrease the unevenness in the corners of the screen. (and also whether to go with HCHP or re. HP fabric).

Thanks for any insight.

Call dalite and order samples.. Let you eyes tell you which is better for your environment
post #158 of 429 Old 09-10-2011, 05:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks for any insight.
I'm not nearly as knowledgeable and experienced as most people in this game, so I think when I see something it has to be pretty blatant!

I think the reason that I saw this problem (brightness variation, esp darkening at the extremities of the screen) with the HC HP material is because I was going to a considerably larger screen, 144"W compared to my original 110"W (HP2.8 material) screen, and still sitting very close, ~ 12.5 ft, i.e., just over 1 SW. So I had to put my pj (RS20) further back behind my our 2 recliners: for the older, smaller screen the pj was only a ft or so behind our heads, but with the new larger one it was ~ 4 to 5 ft behind our heads (but still as low as possible for the pic to clear our heads). So the relevant angles for the retro-reflective character of the screen varied considerably more for various points on the screen than when it was much closer to our eyes (by being just behind our heads). So the much narrower viewing angle of the HC HP material reared its head.

BTW, I am incredibly pleased and impressed with the new HP 2.4 (non-HC version). The pic is so wonderfully smooth and precise, even more so than the older 2.8 HP, which was already outstanding in the regard.

While at CEDIA the last few days, just for the fun of it I walked by the Dalite booth to tell them how much I liked my new screen, and they said the the new HP2.4 material had borrowed aspects of their JPK Affinity screen, the super smooth material that Joe Kane helped developed esp for high res HD projectors.

The morale is that it really pays to get samples from Dalite to check all this out for your own specific situation!
post #159 of 429 Old 09-27-2011, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey guys,
I'm planning to convert a living room into a HT room. I've got decent lighting control (screen will drop down over only window in the room) carpet is light brown, walls are brown but ceiling is white. I'll be sitting about 14' from a 110" diagonal and will probably be purchasing one of this fall's crop of pjs (RS45, Epson 5010, Pany 7K or similar) and mounting it in a closet 1 ft. above and behind my couch. While I think the HCHP would help with the white ceiling's light scatter, I'm a little worried about the dark corners cause by the gain rolloff. It seems that Millerwill proved that a smaller ratio of screen size to seating distance minimizes this...does anyone have a setup where this is not noticeable (and what size is screen and seating distance?).

Thanks,
Cory
post #160 of 429 Old 10-02-2011, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

The problem with samples, especially with a screen that you're worried about droppoff of brightness in the corners, is that screen samples don't really cut it. Even if you ordered samples for the center and corner, it wouldn't really tell you how gradual the droppoff was.
post #161 of 429 Old 10-02-2011, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't think many folks here bought this screen, the samples are very non impressive compared to the standard HP. I do not recall seeing a member post a review of this product after buying it. It has only been on the market since this threads inception.
post #162 of 429 Old 10-02-2011, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
If you guys can wait.. I can give you the impression of HCHP.

My screen will be 158" 16:9 screen.

My projector will be Infocus 8604 1700 lumen.
post #163 of 429 Old 10-02-2011, 11:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The problem with samples, especially with a screen that you're worried about droppoff of brightness in the corners, is that screen samples don't really cut it. Even if you ordered samples for the center and corner, it wouldn't really tell you how gradual the droppoff was.

Samples are certainly not perfect, but can still be very helpful. E.g., it was clear to me that the HC version of the 2.4HP material was significantly darker at the extreme edges of the screen, compared to the center region, while the regular HP2.4 material was much more uniform.

This is probably because I have a very large screen (144" W) and sit quite close, so this issue with the HC version may not be a problem for many situations. But I would advise trying things as best you can with the samples.
post #164 of 429 Old 10-04-2011, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I had an opportunity to compare HPHC with Black Diamond side by side. The most noticeable difference: HPHC did not display any color shift and the Black Diamond did. I didn't think I would care for HPHC, but I have to say, it's mighty impressive and deserves to be on the short list of possible materials for ambient lit living rooms and family rooms and/or light-challenged projectors. The fact that it has a structured backing and is not a vinyl-based screen makes it possible to forgo the added expense and poor aesthetics of tab tensioning in retractable deployments.
post #165 of 429 Old 10-06-2011, 07:47 PM

How do I find the product number for these screens? I'm looking for a 92" Model C with the HPHC material.
post #166 of 429 Old 10-07-2011, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not sure what you mean by model C. I think it depends on the frame or the case type + the material and size. You can go on their website and tell them what you have in mind and they can give you the part number.
post #167 of 429 Old 10-07-2011, 02:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Model C = Manual pull down.
I'd recommend you call Da Lite directly for the part number. If you have trouble reaching them, we are a Da Lite dealer and can also help.

Benito

Benito Joaquin, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 1-585-454-1460 x110
Email Me: Benito@AVScience.com

Now taking pre-orders for JVC and Epson projectors!

Contact us for your screen needs!!
post #168 of 429 Old 10-07-2011, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

it would be great if we all could have every major screen type set up in our room and easily return any ones which we didn't want.

Current Projects:
IN PROGRESS (80%) - Building 3D Theater room.
IN PROGRESS (30%) - Building Lounge/Hallway Area.
IN PROGRESS (15%) - Building Home LAN (4 PCs).
ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
post #169 of 429 Old 10-07-2011, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

On the dalite website, you click product, manual wall screen, model C, and on the right you will see a list of pdf, including one call "part numbers and pricing". Prices are list and normally a bit more than you pay if you order though AVS. AH.. they have not updated the file .. give them another 9 months or so.. they don't really jump right on documentation...
post #170 of 429 Old 10-12-2011, 02:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

On the dalite website, you click product, manual wall screen, model C, and on the right you will see a list of pdf, including one call "part numbers and pricing". Prices are list and normally a bit more than you pay if you order though AVS. AH.. they have not updated the file .. give them another 9 months or so.. they don't really jump right on documentation...

I noticed that too. From what I have heard you can use the part number for the High Power version, but add a C to the end for Custom, then have the customization be to get the high contrast high power. For instance, order 11111C instead of 11111. Other things like a black case or extra drop may cause a C also.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #171 of 429 Old 10-12-2011, 05:46 PM

Glad I found this thread I have been looking at the 2.4 Hi Power 133" Cinema Contour. Any word on waves ever appearing on this screen? Is it tensioned or whatever? I want something that will be good for 3D with my new panny so I want something with some decent gain but have heard that since the lumen output on the panny 7000 is pretty strong in a light controlled room that the video is borderline too bright when just doing regular 2d even in eco mode on a high gain screen.. Thoughts?

my setup is panny 7000 throwing @ 18'
completely light controlled room
dark red/crimson carpet and walls
post #172 of 429 Old 10-12-2011, 06:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronsmity View Post

Glad I found this thread I have been looking at the 2.4 Hi Power 133" Cinema Contour. Any word on waves ever appearing on this screen? Is it tensioned or whatever? I want something that will be good for 3D with my new panny so I want something with some decent gain but have heard that since the lumen output on the panny 7000 is pretty strong in a light controlled room that the video is borderline too bright when just doing regular 2d even in eco mode on a high gain screen.. Thoughts?

There is no question of waves on the Cinema Contour, or other fixed frame screens.
post #173 of 429 Old 10-13-2011, 07:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

never came across waves with this material.
Are you looking to do fixed, motorized or pull down?

Benito

post #174 of 429 Old 10-13-2011, 09:55 AM

I am looking for fixed since it saves me on space.. so I guess waves are usually only with pulldown or motorized screens? thats good to know
post #175 of 429 Old 10-13-2011, 09:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I am looking for fixed since it saves me on space.. so I guess waves are usually only with pulldown or motorized screens? thats good to know

Your chances of getting waves on a fixed screen are slim to none! You might come across other problems but they are problems you would catch right away and get it taken care of under warranty.

Benito

post #176 of 429 Old 10-13-2011, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post

I noticed that too. From what I have heard you can use the part number for the High Power version, but add a C to the end for Custom, then have the customization be to get the high contrast high power. For instance, order 11111C instead of 11111. Other things like a black case or extra drop may cause a C also.

--Darin

Have you tested your sample?

My new favorite game is Save The Titanic

post #177 of 429 Old 10-13-2011, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

High Power High Contrast has a structured backing (fiberglass), so it maintains its shape -- does not require tab tensioning as would a more stretchy vinyl material.
post #178 of 429 Old 11-08-2011, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I just purchased a HCHP 120" pulldown and should have it next week. I will
compare it to my HP 2.4 in a light controlled room. The projector is an JVC
RS-2 which I know run on low lamp mode and projector is centered to the
screen. All my seating is straight on with none outside the screen width.

Would be nice if this screen gives me better blacks and
a better picture with the lights on. Big HP screen fan so will be
fun to compare. The loser will be my outdoor screen

Specialize in maximizing performance on a beer budget!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #179 of 429 Old 11-08-2011, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg1292 View Post

I just purchased a HCHP 120" pulldown and should have it next week. I will
compare it to my HP 2.4 in a light controlled room. The projector is an JVC
RS-2 which I know run on low lamp mode and projector is centered to the
screen. All my seating is straight on with none outside the screen width.

Would be nice if this screen gives me better blacks and
a better picture with the lights on. Big HP screen fan so will be
fun to compare. The loser will be my outdoor screen

Looking forward to your review. The sample did not impress..
post #180 of 429 Old 11-08-2011, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Sample looked good enough to give it a try. Even though seems to small to make an honest evaluation. Will let you know how it turns out.

Specialize in maximizing performance on a beer budget!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page