New High Contrast High Power Discussion Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 429 Old 11-14-2011, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Anyone using the 159" 16:9 High Power--what projector and what is your experience--especially if you have it ceiling mounted?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 429 Old 11-14-2011, 05:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by threed123 View Post

Anyone using the 159" 16:9 High Power--what projector and what is your experience--especially if you have it ceiling mounted?

I have a ~147" diag 16x9 (128x72) HP2.4 with a RS20. It is mounted on a stand, though, and only a ft or so above eye level. Great combo, plenty bright.
post #183 of 429 Old 11-15-2011, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Just picked up HCHP 120" should have it installed tonight! Should be fun to
compare.

Specialize in maximizing performance on a beer budget!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #184 of 429 Old 11-15-2011, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
well now im not sure what to get
my set up is the projector will be ceiling mounted the ceiling is 8' high the projector is a sanyo z2000 the first row of seats will be 15' back and second 18'..the screen i want is 133" high power white...will this work for the high power? or should i stick to a screen with 1.0 gain? thanks...
post #185 of 429 Old 11-15-2011, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondeast View Post

well now im not sure what to get
my set up is the projector will be ceiling mounted the ceiling is 8' high the projector is a sanyo z2000 the first row of seats will be 15' back and second 18'..the screen i want is 133" high power white...will this work for the high power? or should i stick to a screen with 1.0 gain? thanks...

Unless you put the projector in the optimum location 6-14" over your head, you won't get any benefit from the high power.. it will be like any other utility gain screen.
post #186 of 429 Old 11-15-2011, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

Unless you put the projector in the optimum location 6-14" over your head, you won't get any benefit from the high power.. it will be like any other utility gain screen.

How is this for my set up?
LL

Specialize in maximizing performance on a beer budget!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #187 of 429 Old 11-15-2011, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

In a light controlled bat cave the HCHP has a superior picture to the HP screen.
I know that some of you may think I want to justify my purchase but really there is no contest. The RS2 with the HCHP looks 3D end of story. I also noticed that the green are not neon any more. There is a calmness to the picture that look real and naturally but not forced like the HP 2.4 I just took down. Black levels are superior and my blacked out room no longer lights up like a christmas tree.

The screen still is crap with ambient light but that is not a problem with my room. I was right that samples cannot give you the whole truth about a screen and am happy that I took the plunge. If you view the screen or are seating outside the screen there is a cone effect but very accurate with no color shift.

I noticed no artifacts induced by the screen or hot spotting.

Watching Transformers 3 or Lord Of the Rings is like seeing it for the first time

I will use the HP 2.4 for my outdoor home theater screen as it is no longer
worthy for my Man Cave.

Da-lite hit a home run and can't believe there has not been more hype about this screen.

Coming from crt this is the best setup I have ever had.

You can take my words with a grain of salt but no regrets here!

post #188 of 429 Old 11-15-2011, 08:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Glad to hear that the HCHP works for you, Greg; sounds very nice! I only had the samples of HCHP and the regular HP2.4, and I backed off the HCHP because in my setup the narrower viewing cone lead to noticeable lack of brightness uniformity over the whole screen from my MLP. The regular HP, though, was completely uniform, and i've been extremely happy with it. (It may be that my screen is quite large, 144" W, so may have made a greater demand on the viewing cone.)

So I would just encourage people to get samples and check all this out for their specific situation.
post #189 of 429 Old 11-15-2011, 09:30 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg1292 View Post

In a light controlled bat cave the HCHP has a superior picture to the HP screen.
I know that some of you may think I want to justify my purchase but really there is no contest. The RS2 with the HCHP looks 3D end of story. I also noticed that the green are not neon any more. There is a calmness to the picture that look real and naturally but not forced like the HP 2.4 I just took down. Black levels are superior and my blacked out room no longer lights up like a christmas tree.

The screen still is crap with ambient light but that is not a problem with my room. I was right that samples cannot give you the whole truth about a screen and am happy that I took the plunge. If you view the screen or are seating outside the screen there is a cone effect but very accurate with no color shift.

I noticed no artifacts induced by the screen or hot spotting.

Watching Transformers 3 or Lord Of the Rings is like seeing it for the first time

I will use the HP 2.4 for my outdoor home theater screen as it is no longer
worthy for my Man Cave.

Da-lite hit a home run and can't believe there has not been more hype about this screen.

Coming from crt this is the best setup I have ever had.

You can take my words with a grain of salt but no regrets here!

I am considering moving to this screen from a HP 2.8 with my Pro8100.. unfortunately I do not have a batcave, but instead am in an apartment with white walls. Not sure whether or not this screen or a new projector are in order, but I am desperate to get better black levels.

Can you speak a little more on the difference in black levels between the HPHC and HP? And the difference between the two with regards to ambient light?

Thanks.
post #190 of 429 Old 11-15-2011, 11:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

So *not* true.

Even if it's only giving unity gain, it still has the benefits of not hotspotting, rejection of ambient light, and freedom from waves showing.

Noah
post #191 of 429 Old 11-16-2011, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpage View Post

I am considering moving to this screen from a HP 2.8 with my Pro8100.. unfortunately I do not have a batcave, but instead am in an apartment with white walls. Not sure whether or not this screen or a new projector are in order, but I am desperate to get better black levels.

Can you speak a little more on the difference in black levels between the HPHC and HP? And the difference between the two with regards to ambient light?

Thanks.

The HCHP screen has deeper blacks and more depth and shadow detail back into the screen with less noise in the image. Blacks with lots of ambient light are about the same with either screen but with the lights off
HCHP does shine. Sure would like to see Tyrg do a review of the HCHP.

post #192 of 429 Old 11-16-2011, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

Glad to hear that the HCHP works for you, Greg; sounds very nice! I only had the samples of HCHP and the regular HP2.4, and I backed off the HCHP because in my setup the narrower viewing cone lead to noticeable lack of brightness uniformity over the whole screen from my MLP. The regular HP, though, was completely uniform, and i've been extremely happy with it. (It may be that my screen is quite large, 144" W, so may have made a greater demand on the viewing cone.)

So I would just encourage people to get samples and check all this out for their specific situation.

I agree coming from HP wider viewing cone but if you sit 12ft back from a 10ft screen and sit inside (edge to edge) go with the HCHP and be amazed.

post #193 of 429 Old 11-16-2011, 07:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I agree coming from HP wider viewing cone but if you sit 12ft back from a 10ft screen and sit inside (edge to edge) go with the HCHP and be amazed.

I would agree with your situation.

My 'problem' is that I sit ~ 11ft from a 12ft W screen, and with this size screen the pj has to be about 17ft from the screen. So the angle from lens, to various pts on the screen, to eye varies enough that the narrower viewing cone of the HCHP led to noticeable brightness variation.

My only suggestion was that each person would be wise to check out all this for their own situation.
post #194 of 429 Old 11-16-2011, 07:13 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

The HCHP screen has deeper blacks and more depth and shadow detail back into the screen with less noise in the image. Blacks with lots of ambient light are about the same with either screen but with the lights off
HCHP does shine. Sure would like to see Tyrg do a review of the HCHP.

So the Chasm has been finally Crossed with the HCHP. Took forever.
post #195 of 429 Old 11-17-2011, 02:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
I have just ordered one and will write up a comparison to a normal 2.4 HP in a white livingroom when it arrives. That should be in two weeks or so.
post #196 of 429 Old 11-17-2011, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickrock View Post

So the Chasm has been finally Crossed with the HCHP. Took forever.

As far as PQ the HCHP has but the HP still offers alot
wider viewing cone. Both are great screens and if I had not
had both to compare I still would have been happy with
the HP. Da-lite does a great job with both of these screens.

post #197 of 429 Old 11-17-2011, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Currently have a 113" wide scope 2.8 HP and really like it. My projector is an RS20 in a dedicated light controlled theater. Greg's posts really has me thinking of an upgrade to a HCHP.

Would like to go to a 120" wide scope screen (max I can fit). My screen width would be 120" in a 2:35:1 format. Four seats with outer chair view area measuring 115" apart. Screen to my eyes is 15'. The projector is table mounted and the lense is about 30" from the back of my head. From the discussion above it would seem that my outer chairs would be just within the acceptable light cone. Just outside the outer chairs the light would drop off drastically, correct? The Microlite screen seemed interesting, but who knows when it will be released.

I am considering the Sony 1000 projector for this screen. The Sony is speced at 2000 ansi lumens but may put out about 1500 al when calibrated. With this kind of brightness do you guys think it would work well with the HCHP? Or would it be best to go with a white 1.3 gain screen ie. ST 130? These types of screens are angular reflective which is not ideal for a table mounted projector.
post #198 of 429 Old 11-17-2011, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I would order the samples and take a look on your 2.8 HP.. the HCHP was very unimpressive compared to the 2.8 at my house .. lights on or off. The comparison greg1292 made was against the 2.4 which is not very impressive compared to the 2.8.. yes the gain is less so black is blacker..
post #199 of 429 Old 11-17-2011, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

I have ordered 2.4 HCHP and 2.4 HP samples. What I found interesting was Greg's observation that the HC did not light up his theater with reflected light near as bad as the normal HP, and with a very bright projector it will only make matters worse.
post #200 of 429 Old 11-17-2011, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Airscapes, what projector are you using?
post #201 of 429 Old 11-17-2011, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

G-REX stay with the HP or higher gain you would miss the pop. Think
of the HCHP having a little less pop than a 2.8 but overall a more natural
picture and better black level.depth,and shadow detail. If I'm happy with
the RS2 brightness your RS20 will be smokin.

post #202 of 429 Old 11-17-2011, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post

Airscapes, what projector are you using?

HC3000 but my screen is very small so I get 30fl on low lamp in the sweet spot.. I am not saying the HCHP is bad, just not something I would want after the living with the 2.8. Samples don't tell the complete story but there is no reason not to check them out since they are free.
Also once a projector is calibrated in the environment with HP the image is very natural and accurate. I am not really bothered by the raised black. This could be due to the small screen size and the over all pop of DLP.
post #203 of 429 Old 11-17-2011, 05:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Great to hear the screen is working out so well for you. But...

Quote:

The HCHP screen has deeper blacks and more depth and shadow detail back into the screen

That type of description can be confusing especially for people trying to learn about screens. What you describe are not attributes of a screen - they are attributes of a particular projector in a particular room on particular settings etc. Someone else may be getting deeper black levels and/or better shadow detail with the original HP screen, depending on their projector/settings/room.

I only point this out so some readers don't get confused that screens come with attributes like "displaying deeper black levels/better shadow detail, depth" etc.

Cheers,
post #204 of 429 Old 11-17-2011, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the correction. Just a happy camper thanks to all the great
advice received on the forum.

post #205 of 429 Old 11-17-2011, 08:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

I only point this out so some readers don't get confused that screens come with attributes like "displaying deeper black levels/better shadow detail, depth" etc.

Cheers,

If one of the screens attributes is off-axis light rejection and a room suffers from off-axis light contamination onto the screen such as might be encountered from light bouncing off a wall, ceiling, or floor close to the screen then in practise the screens inherent qualities will help maintain the attributes you list. The HCHP was designed for better of-axis light rejection that the 2.4 and 2.8 and it has succeeded. If some don't find this impressive I would suggest doing comparisons with something larger than coaster size samples while making efforts to match brightness levels, otherwise determinations are based on a skewed and rather useless set of references for the purpose of visually evaluating and comparing the screens intended performance parameters.
post #206 of 429 Old 11-17-2011, 08:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughman View Post

If one of the screens attributes is off-axis light rejection and a room suffers from off-axis light contamination onto the screen such as might be encountered from light bouncing off a wall, ceiling, or floor close to the screen then in practise the screens inherent qualities will help maintain the attributes you list. The HCHP was designed for better of-axis light rejection that the 2.4 and 2.8 and it has succeeded. If some don't find this impressive I would suggest doing comparisons with something larger than coaster size samples while making efforts to match brightness levels, otherwise determinations are based on a skewed and rather useless set of references for the purpose of visually evaluating and comparing the screens intended performance parameters.

Though I chose the regular HP2.4, I think I agree with the point you are making here. E.g., if one has light-colored walls and has an issue with side-wall reflected light, the HCHP could be very helpful in taming this. OTOH, if one has more of the black hole type room situation, with dark non-reflective side walls and ceiling, I think the std HP might be preferred; it was for me.
post #207 of 429 Old 11-18-2011, 03:39 AM
Advanced Member

My walls are a medium/dark fabric. The ceiling is painted a fairly dark beige and is very tall so its a good distance above the screen which helps to minimizes reflections. Despite this, the normal HP seems to still light up the room. Does the HCHP screen prevent light from bouncing off the screen and lighting up the theater similar to a low gain Black Diamond would?

Could any of you answer my question re the sweet spot of this screen. Do you guys think that my outer two chairs will have acceptable light and be within the proper viewing cone? See my measurements a few posts back. Thanks
post #208 of 429 Old 11-18-2011, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post

My walls are a medium/dark fabric. The ceiling is painted a fairly dark beige and is very tall so its a good distance above the screen which helps to minimizes reflections. Despite this, the normal HP seems to still light up the room. Does the HCHP screen prevent light from bouncing off the screen and lighting up the theater similar to a low gain Black Diamond would?

Could any of you answer my question re the sweet spot of this screen. Do you guys think that my outer two chairs will have acceptable light and be within the proper viewing cone? See my measurements a few posts back. Thanks

I have black walls and ceiling and the HCHP has less reflected light in a dark room which I was going after but did not want to give up the 2.4
gain. Just wanted a better picture. Last night I watched a movie 10 inches outside the screen with no noticeable drop off. Hope this helps.
As far as black diamond which I sell is the light rejection king but I don't
like the increased artifacts intoduced into the screen by the 1.4BD.
To me the HCHP is a cross between a JKP/BD/HP just an opinion.

post #209 of 429 Old 11-18-2011, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have black walls and ceiling and the HCHP has less reflected light in a dark room which I was going after but did not want to give up the 2.4
gain. Just wanted a better picture. Last night I watched a movie 10 inches outside the screen with no noticeable drop off. Hope this helps.

Interesting.. did you calibrate your projector off the screen using a high quality meter since installing the HCHP? It would be interesting to see how much if any the brightness needs to be change and if there is any major color shift.
post #210 of 429 Old 11-18-2011, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It does help...thanks. I don't know that much with regard to the JKP Affinity screens. I will read up on it. The sheen and the fairly narrow viewing angle ruled out the BD 1.4.
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page