is xtremscreen real? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 05-22-2011, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey I found this guy on youtube and I was wondering is this real? He doesnt show the projector in the video so let me know what you guys think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8Db_L-H1N0

the fact that the white screen looks so good in this setup makes me doubt it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ7kc0udark&NR=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-22-2011, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
from france ????
post #3 of 17 Old 05-22-2011, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

I believe the guy is the states if I'm not mistaken, now the link above the guy might be from france. If anybody know's let me know.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrLecvip#p/u/17/EdHgXhq4ZF8
post #4 of 17 Old 05-22-2011, 10:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
How big is that screen, six square feet? So if he's using dynamic mode on an Epson, say 1200 lumens, that's 200 ftl. Mix up some SF 10 and it'll probably look even better. Not really all that amazing...
post #5 of 17 Old 05-23-2011, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
the screen on the first video is less than 3 ft... is dark but lacks black level detail. it also has no direct sunlight hitting it... as the windows are on the side of the screen... and not facing the screen.

the last link the screen is about 5ft with a 7-8ft throw at max... again it is dark but lacks considerable contrast, detail, and color saturation. it's not impressive at all and honestly not really very watchable.

in any case, mix up a SF V2 4.0 and above... and at those small dimension... what it kick some arce.
post #6 of 17 Old 05-23-2011, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

it looks pretty impressive to me, I have seen some screenshots from mm and the dude with the black diamond other than that I havent really seen anybody with good screenshots of ambient light right on the screen, if you guys have a link please post it. I really dont have time to mix my own screen paint, is there anybody here that is reputable willing to ship me a can? I guess i can start another thread about it.
post #7 of 17 Old 05-23-2011, 11:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Before anything else iis considered, you'll have to relate some things about your situation.

Pj type.
Throw distance possibilities / limitations
Desired Screen size.
Room light (ambient or direct....Sunlight or Artificial.)
Screen's Proximity to ceiling and the Color of ceiling.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #8 of 17 Old 05-25-2011, 02:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegetter View Post

it looks pretty impressive to me, I have seen some screenshots from mm and the dude with the black diamond other than that I havent really seen anybody with good screenshots of ambient light right on the screen,

Again, throw a lot of lumens at a tiny screen... The smaller the screen, the easier it is to do well in ambient light. But what's the point? If you're going for a 42" diagonal screen, get an LED or LCD TV.

If you don't have the time to mix up a can of paint, you certainly don't have time to prepare the surface and paint it. Just saying...
post #9 of 17 Old 05-26-2011, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Before anything else iis considered, you'll have to relate some things about your situation.

Pj type.
Throw distance possibilities / limitations
Desired Screen size.
Room light (ambient or direct....Sunlight or Artificial.)
Screen's Proximity to ceiling and the Color of ceiling.

I have a diy lcd, throw distance about 22ft, I would like 100 inches at least. I do have black out curtains but I would like to watch with windows open if possible with normal ambient light. The screen would be about 4 feet from ceiling and the ceiling is beige. And thank you kirnak for letting me know what I do and dont have time for.
post #10 of 17 Old 05-27-2011, 07:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegetter View Post

I have a diy lcd, throw distance about 22ft, I would like 100 inches at least. I do have black out curtains but I would like to watch with windows open if possible with normal ambient light. The screen would be about 4 feet from ceiling and the ceiling is beige. And thank you kirnak for letting me know what I do and dont have time for.

Being somewhat familiar with DIY LCD PJs, you must be either using a very bright panel or some such adaptation to even get a watchable image from 22', or you have outfitted the PJ with a special lens that has an exceedingly long Throw ratio.

If the lens can give you 100" diagonal at that distance without bottoming out on Zoom mode, your doing something that even a Eposn 8350 cannot do, and the Epson is judged to have the widest Throw/Zoom ratio of any PJ currently on the market.

Now of course you can always go bigger, but the amount of lumens your producing will either curtail or assist such a choice. I don't know what your dealing with in that respect either, so understand that my comments, as well as other's can only be based on known values and specifications.

The only way to be certain is to always try your best to reduce distances commensurate to the size screen being utilized.

And BTW...cut Kirnak a wee bit of slack. This is a DIY Forum, and the way you stated your request did seem somewhat dismissive of wanting to be too bothered. And in the all in all, someone with that sort of mind think going into a DIY project just might...just might mind you...decide to cut corners or simply not do all that needs to be done to accomplish a DIY Screen that is more than worthy of note.

When that happens, all too often the application itself takes the blame...and we have another disgruntled Poster. The decision to try to take too easy a route often goes hand in hand with lessor results...or abject failure. That in fact we do not see hardly any of such people railing about the injustice of the work ethic vs. end results obtained via the DIY Screen making route should tell you about everything you need to know.

Rephrase the request and I'll betcha someone with extra paint left from having mixed up a gallon for a 100'er just might be really happy to oblige ya!

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #11 of 17 Old 05-27-2011, 09:57 AM

I don't believe thats a 70" screen on that video, first off compare it to the windows size, its more like a 42"-32" screen if u ask me. When I first Had my sony projector my tv went out. I was using it at about 70" and with all the lights on at my house it retained a very very good picture. I then took it to a friends place and over 80" it washed out . Not to mention that I was just projecting on a white painted wall.

Av123 Onix Rockets RS1000 , AV123 RSC200 BIGFOOT, B&W WM6 White, Denon AVR-4311CI 9.2
DIY Stereo Integrity SI 18" Subwoofer X2, HTPC Running XBMC 14TB , Roku HD Player
Sony VPL-VW70 Pojector, Xbox 360 250GB, Yamaha RX-V573
post #12 of 17 Old 05-27-2011, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

point taken mm, reality is I'm no paint expert and all too busy at the same time, and of course I would be willing to pay for the paint. Didn't mean to sound dismissive. Also I work 12 hours a day and me and my wife work opposite schedules to avoid paying a babysitter (saving that money allows me to buy my toys), I have 4 kids ages 6 to 7 months that I have to tend to once I get home from work. Took me forever to make my diy projector but glad I got it going. I appreciate these forums and all the help offered. Thanks.
post #13 of 17 Old 05-23-2013, 11:13 AM

Hi everybody,
I confirm this screen is real, I'm french and you can find a french review of this screen here: http://www.audiovideohd.fr/tests/365-XtremScreen-Daylight-0.html
The screens will be released in Jun 2013 and the website will come soon.
After reading the review it's simple, I want one!! this screen is crazy.
Regards,
Bob
post #14 of 17 Old 06-02-2013, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
oy vey, 2200 Euros for the 3m diag.
post #15 of 17 Old 06-03-2013, 07:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Is this old Dog still hanging around looking for a bone? Seems like someone left the door open to the Kennel and it slipped out. (...Thread should have been moved / deleted long ago...)

DIY Screen making has progressed to the extent that specialty screens such as the one mentioned here can be virtually matched in "ambient light" performance. And do so for literally thousands of $$$ less.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #16 of 17 Old 06-04-2013, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
post #17 of 17 Old 06-04-2013, 04:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

DIY Screen making has progressed to the extent that specialty screens such as the one mentioned here can be virtually matched in "ambient light" performance. And do so for literally thousands of $$$ less.

Doubtful that any DIY screen can approach the performance of multilayer/microstructured optical screens.

Noah
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page