Vutec Silverstar with Mitsubishi HC6800? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-05-2011, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys, please help. A local installer recommended the HC6800 for my dedicated media room (light controlled, no windows, dark carpet/walls, etc) and the Vutec Silverstar screen (110in).

What do you guys think? Will this screen work well with this projector? The main purpose of the room is to watch movies (in total darkness) and HD sports (with ambient lighting on).

Please help...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2011, 08:19 AM

Liked: 11
Nothing wrong with the Mitsu, but i would not recommend you go with the Silverstar screen for your application. No need for such a high gain.
You would be just fine with another manufacturer at a more reasonable gain. Prices would be similar to the Vutec.

Benito
Old 07-11-2011, 02:52 PM

It sounds like what you are looking for is versatility. In your case, I would recommend 2 separate settings on your projector; one for an ambient light/sports theme and the other for nighttime/dark room movie mode. You can save these settings and recall them depending on the conditions. SilverStar has ambient light diffusing characteristics that will give you better results in a room with ambient light in comparison to other lower gain options.

SilverStar works great in all lighting conditions, including rooms with low ambient light. One of the benefits in a dark room scenario is the ability to obtain a vivid TV like image that we all have been accustomed to with today's high performing bright displays, without overdriving the lamp. A lamp that runs cooler prolongs it's life, is more energy efficient and the fan runs quieter. Setting this projector into low lamp mode would double lamp life from 2000 to 4000 hours. The more flexibility and options you have for set-up, the better your picture will be without compromising quality.

The HC6800 is a great bang for the buck producing a great image with good black levels and contrast. At 1,500 lumens, it would be sufficient to light up a SilverStar screen even bigger than the 110you're installing. Properly calibrate, however, you're looking at an output of just under 700 lumens.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
I own a Vutec soundscreen 1.0 screen and works great in my living room. Using Sony 90ES 3D pj. Screen is 110" and watch during the day with great results. Vutec is a good screen at a great price IMO- as mentioned above I do not beilieve you would need a high gain go with Vutecs lower gain screens. I have mine ceiling mounted and drops down in front of my equipment

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-18-2011, 11:24 AM

While the high gain isnt necessary, it does give the image a lot of pop. Like all high gain screens, it does have a narrower viewing cone, but its still reasonable