AT screen: cheaper than factory made, easier than DIY - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 79 Old 01-11-2012, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Nice, that should save a little time too, since you'll have the material pre-cut for the frame - hope you enjoy it, mine has worked great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 79 Old 01-11-2012, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thx for your help on this. I'm putting a B&W CWM7.3 behind it, in wall. I am a bit concerned about the sonic pressure behind the screen, is there an issue putting the screen 2-3 inches from the speaker? I certainly don't want it moving with the sound....

post #33 of 79 Old 01-11-2012, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You'll be fine, lots of people have their LCRs that close, not a problem with a woven screen.
post #34 of 79 Old 01-11-2012, 05:59 PM

Cool!

post #35 of 79 Old 01-11-2012, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishet View Post

I talked to James today and they are now also offering the Centerstage XD material from Seymour...

YYYEEEEEEESSSSS!!!!!

Although I wonder which is cheaper/cost effective.... To buy the frame and Seymour and put them together like mentioned at the beginning of this thread, or to get them from James as a "bundle"...

I mean, James has to have the screen material shipped to him and then shipped back out and Seymour is about 2 hours from my house... Oh the things to ponder... I am still a good 2 months from being close to needing a screen, so I will have time to see how things pan out.
post #36 of 79 Old 01-12-2012, 05:41 PM

I'll double up this post as a lot of folks are reading this thread....I ordered my Jamestown Home Theater / Seymour Centerstage XD screen today....what a great guy James is, he was very helpful and quoted me a great price. Now that he is offering the XD material his business is booming. I also asked about the recommended tilt of the fabric, see the Seymour DIY link...he indicated that they do cut the material with the recommended tilt...cool!

post #37 of 79 Old 01-13-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishet View Post

I'll double up this post as a lot of folks are reading this thread....I ordered my Jamestown Home Theater / Seymour Centerstage XD screen today....what a great guy James is, he was very helpful and quoted me a great price. Now that he is offering the XD material his business is booming. I also asked about the recommended tilt of the fabric, see the Seymour DIY link...he indicated that they do cut the material with the recommended tilt...cool!

I did the same thing several weeks ago. Ordered a 125" Seymour AV XD screen through Jamestown with their frame. Could not be happier with the customer service and the screen will be delivered Monday.

I was originally going to buy the screen material from Seymour and build the frame myself, but at this price, it just seemed to make more sense for me.
post #38 of 79 Old 01-13-2012, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah it ended up costing less for me to buy the frame than to build using 80/20 material, which had been my initial thought. And assembly only took a couple hours - instant (well nearly) gratification is good!
post #39 of 79 Old 01-16-2012, 06:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I just found out yesterday that one of my buddies bought a Panasonic PT-AE7000U projector and a finished Seymour Centerstage screen. He will have it set up as a constant height screen. He also bought a full size center speaker to match his mains & will be ditching his previously "matching" center speaker.

I plan on visiting this Friday night to check it out. I can't wait! Although I can't (or am unwilling) to afford the Panasonic projector, I am planning on using the Centerstage screen material.
post #40 of 79 Old 01-20-2012, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I posted in another thread a while ago how I added supports to prop the screen open when needed, but thought I'd add it here in case it helps anyone:

---------------------------

After thinking and thinking about different ways to prop the screen up when I need access behind the screen, starting with linear actuators, I decided to get off the pot and just do something fairly simple, which you see here - a couple pieces of 3/8" rectanglar steel tube, bolted to the back of the screen frame on one end, and drops into a hole drilled into false wall blocking on the other end.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!
post #41 of 79 Old 03-28-2012, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 68
post #42 of 79 Old 03-28-2012, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Do you think that the screen would warp if the center supports were not in there?
post #43 of 79 Old 03-28-2012, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, definitely - when I removed the vertical supports (to paint them black, to get rid of reflection that could be seen through the screen), the frame flexed enough under the screen tension that it wasn't tensioned properly anymore. But when I put them back, all was well, and didn't have to retension the fabric.

So maybe it wouldn't warp, but I don't think it would be strong enough to maintain the screen tension.
post #44 of 79 Old 03-30-2012, 06:45 AM

Liked: 14
Does anyone know if James is or will be offering the Enlightor 4K material?

Thanks,

Chuck

"The Ginky Weeds" Theater Design and Construction Thread
post #45 of 79 Old 07-04-2012, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Just wanted to add some (poorly photographed) screenshots of my Jamestown hybrid 16:9 152" diagonal screen with Seymour XD fabric and Seymour blackbacking. Please ignore my as-yet unpainted height and wide speaker grills. Projector is an Epson 5010 and room is 17 x 13 x 9. Thanks to Brad Horstkotte and the other members who turned me on to this screen option.

With flash so can see the screen on the wall - it's hard to get good pics due to the wall color and all the acoustical panels:

DSC_0447.jpg

YAMJ jukebox:

DSC_0455.jpg

Monsters Inc:

DSC_0462.jpg

Hugo:

DSC_0464.jpg
post #46 of 79 Old 07-04-2012, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #47 of 79 Old 07-12-2012, 10:45 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Looks great Dave =)

So are people with this screen living without any masking when switching between 235 and 16:9?
post #48 of 79 Old 07-12-2012, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Can't speak for others, but I don't have masking - not to say I never will (DIY), but have been watching movies on it for a year, and it doesn't bother me enough to do anything about.
post #49 of 79 Old 07-13-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

Can't speak for others, but I don't have masking - not to say I never will (DIY), but have been watching movies on it for a year, and it doesn't bother me enough to do anything about.

I've had a DIY masking system in place for quite a while now, and to me, I couldn't go without it again. It really helps to get lost in the picture better. There's a number of different ways folks have gone about it. A search for "masking" in the DIY screen section should bring up a good number of older threads, including mine.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #50 of 79 Old 07-13-2012, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
What is the purpose of the "tab" cuts on the Seymour fabric?
post #51 of 79 Old 07-13-2012, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The screen material is held in place by metal bars attached to back of the frame; the metal bars are attached to the frame with screws every 6-8"; the cutouts on the screen material are where the screws go ("tabs" on the material slide under the bars in between the screws).
post #52 of 79 Old 07-13-2012, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

The screen material is held in place by metal bars attached to back of the frame; the metal bars are attached to the frame with screws every 6-8"; the cutouts on the screen material are where the screws go ("tabs" on the material slide under the bars in between the screws).
oic, the material is not perforated by the screws and it can be tightened up when the screws are loosened. makes perfect sense. ty
post #53 of 79 Old 07-14-2012, 04:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
great solution and great thread, thanks for showing us this. This is my next step this fall. Need a larger AT screen and need a cure for Moire with Elite screen.

Pre-Pro: Emotiva UMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
post #54 of 79 Old 07-14-2012, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post

great solution and great thread, thanks for showing us this. This is my next step this fall. Need a larger AT screen and need a cure for Moire with Elite screen.

It's even easier now, as Jamestown sells their frames with precut Seymour material as an option.
post #55 of 79 Old 07-23-2012, 01:48 AM

Liked: 11
Hello everybody,

Just a quick question about your experiences with the Centerstage material--are you seeing the perforations with bright scenes, say at a distance of 10 feet back or is it all pretty flat like a normal screen?

Also, I have a set of Def Tech Mythos one speakers with a "matching" center Mythos 3. Would there be a practical benefit in changing the middle to another Mythos one tower?

Thanks,

Joe
post #56 of 79 Old 07-23-2012, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My front row is 12' from the screen, I don't see any weave. I've had one visitor (14 yr old friend of my son) who said he could see the holes.

Can't comment on the speaker question, probably get more feedback in a Def Tech owners' thread.
post #57 of 79 Old 07-23-2012, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I sit about 11' away from my Seymour Center Stage screen. I have never noticed the weave. For reference, I'm using an Epson 8350 mounted near the ceiling about 12' away from the screen.

I don't know much about the Def Tech speakers, but if you're happy with the way they match up tonally now, they should only improve once they are at the same plane. I have three identical speakers for the mains/center and the sound stage across the front matches beautifully now that I have the Seymour acoustically transparent screen. I waited YEARS to finally get to this point. Before this, my center speaker was on top of a 65" HDTV. A friend that bought the same screen actually did purchase an identical speaker to his mains. I believe he has Swan Diva speakers.
post #58 of 79 Old 09-13-2012, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Man It seems like this might be the route for me and alot of good posts here... But I am so worried about stretching the fabric and putting this thing together ..

And I still cant decide between 2:35 and 16:9
post #59 of 79 Old 09-14-2012, 06:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by joechuan View Post

Hello everybody,
Just a quick question about your experiences with the Centerstage material--are you seeing the perforations with bright scenes, say at a distance of 10 feet back or is it all pretty flat like a normal screen?
Also, I have a set of Def Tech Mythos one speakers with a "matching" center Mythos 3. Would there be a practical benefit in changing the middle to another Mythos one tower?
Thanks,
Joe

Generally from 11' or more you are safe. Closer than that and you should consider the EN4K screens, but a big difference in price. I love my EN4K screen.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #60 of 79 Old 09-16-2012, 11:33 PM

I don't need my screen to be AT, but this seems to be the way I want to go. Are there any other screen options available from JT?
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page