New high-contrast Skyline screens - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 32 Old 09-07-2011, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
There is a new screen that combines the best spec. from "SI Black Diamond" and "Dalite HP"... It's the new High Contrast Screen from "Skyline Screens"! :

http://www.skylinescreens.com/about-1/recensioni/

It's a new 1.8 (2.5 gain is avalaible too...) gain screen, with light rejection properties, that help you to have a brightest white and at the same time a darkest black, with even ambient light... or in a living room with white reflective ceiling and wall. Black diamond is only dark, Da lite HP is only light, Skyline have dark black and light white! I have bought one 91" and i'm going to describe it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 09-08-2011, 07:17 AM

Liked: 10
Looks sketchy.
post #3 of 32 Old 09-08-2011, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

First, sorry for my english...
So I'm going to describe my environment. Bad, or perhaps as the worst kind of environment for the screening: off-white walls, roof idem, low roof, reflective floor, 2 very large windows on one of the side walls, open the other side wall of a room and a corridor, practically impossible to have very dark room ... More, low roof and clear side window and floor, triggering a series of reflections bounce deadly chain that end up on the screen. The effect is to have as bright spotlights on the roof eight inches from the screen to a width greater than that of the screen. So the room was lit per day allowing you to read easily without turning on the light ... So you can imagine how you could see the images with light medium / medium high or high even worse ... The whites were shooting but above all the shade in the gray became clear ... In conclusion, low ANSI contrast in bright scenes, with the total inability to have in the same image, a very light and a very dark side, becoming a part clear and part of medium / medium light, make a comparison to television, as we say an LCD of 5 or 6 years ago, where the black was a very light gray, with black bands in the visible backlight of 21:9 or parts darker and the contrast was much lower than the plasma then. Here are some pictures to make the idea:

continues...
Elix likes this.
post #4 of 32 Old 09-08-2011, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

You will have realized that in my own environment you have to be keen to enjoy the video projection ... Not hide the fact that I thought more than once to take away everything and take a plasma tv 60/65 inches, I would have saved money (since the cost of new TV ...) and eliminated the problem of black and contrast, but ... The projection is a different thing, than a big plasma , is better a great image! Seriously, there were no solutions to my problem, as masking the roof and walls is impossible (it is a lounge / dining room), I cannot paint in black, or attack velvet and various fabrics on the ceiling ... Projector does not need to change, as the best projector in the world is no match for my reflexes like! No black level remains the same in the presence of ambient light to be reflected in the day! And then? The first hope I had them years ago when I read a review of the DNP supernova, but records do not fully convinced me and I decided to wait times and better materials. Then came the SI Black Diamond and things seemed better, but the users complained about the owners of the cloth (at least some) some defects unacceptable to me, as sparkles and more or less visible in some types of installation, definitely unbearable ... Then came the most interesting Skyline, from the technical specifications (gain of 1.8 against 0.8 BD) especially in view of a future 3D projector, and which was said to have no side effects like hot spots or sparkles etc.. Reading minireview by the first owners and others who had seen him, and after long talks with Simone Berti (Skyline Screens's Principal), I decided to buy it, and I bought a Skyfix 91 "16:9, the result is:

old screen Adeo Plano 80" 1.2 Gain:

Skyline Skyfix 91" 16:9 :

Apart from the reflections in the room decreased significantly, (even if the camera has darkened a bit more than they should) see that the projected image remains in the dark levels in the upper left portion in the presence of 2 / 3 of high brightness image!
2 Other images:

Adeo Plano

Skyline:

Apart from the photos reflected the situation at the 90/95% live (due to the fact that the objective is not very sensitive and "lost" a bit of ambient light in the photos with Skyline, as the ambient light lower than the one with the Plano ...), I can tell you this:

continues...
Elix likes this.
post #5 of 32 Old 09-08-2011, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Seriously, the picture has changed completely, in my case the upgrade is huge, like being passed by an old type 3 LCD like Epson TW700, to a JVC DLA as the X3 or similar ... No kidding, before the showed bands of 21:9 ranging from night scenes in a dark gray, light gray to a daytime scenes in the same movie ... more bands were affected reflex position, that is, if a frame had a blue sky with yellow sun on the left, the bands due to reflections on the ceiling, they became, the upper whole gray / blue, but left turns gray / yellow ! This was of course also within the image itself. The contrasts were such scenes only in medium-dark, poorly lit, and at a light like the moon in a very dark night sky, light pollution created around himself, creating a soft glow that spread in the area around the moon itself, is so all the way to bright objects that formed the image.
Now is no longer so, the black bands are such regardless of the content displayed, do not stain more depending on the light portions present, and especially every single part of the image is independent of its neighbor! This means that in a starry sky, every star shines by itself, is not to illuminate the black space around! This involves a very high perceived contrast, ANSI contrast with unthinkable for a projector in my class, it benefits enormously sharpness, the images become much more defined, sharp, three-dimensional. Three-dimensional is the right word, because each object takes place in the virtual plane that houses it, so come to define an infinite number of plans that make up the image, the colors seem to be brushed by the best artist on the square ... It seems to be in front of one of the much vaunted and hoped for 3D TV without glasses, and LED backlighting with local dimming! For example, in the scenes set on Pandora, you can distinguish the various bushes and trees and plants that make up the picture gradually in depth imagining the relative distances as if we were there in front ... The images are bright as they should be: bright ... and contrasted! The dark parts as small, dark and still do not attack and break down the overwhelming brightness, while the dark scenes will benefit by having a dark painting and insensitive to the basic reflexes that then sink to the blacks and at the same time enhances the bright areas on the basis of a positive gain to 1.8. In short I have tested with Avatar and I came to disconnect the auto iris and manual iris closing some and activating the automatic control of the lamp, I was able to have a very contrastated image and dynamic scenes is very good in both day and night scenes. I repeat no dynamic iris active! I hate to think what she could do a sheet like that in a controlled environment a little more of my ...
Bottom line: definitely the best purchase I could do for my projection room, the best upgrade for those like me who is plagued by problems of environmental reflections, really changes the way of enjoying video projection, making any environment (even a bad like mine, maybe one case "limit") suitable for home projection, managing to bring out the best of any projector. This does not mean that if you have a business model like acer vpr, it can make a JVC, but you will undoubtedly come up with the 90/95% of what you can give. This is demonstrated by the fact that the first adjustment I had them in multiple steps, to warn that the change of image parameters, such as the brightness, I do appreciate them for gross changes, such as two / three notches of brightness to see the change on screen, each notch now more or less, you can see the whole screen, with obvious benefits of the possibilities of calibration and control ...
Hello everyone and hope to be able to express the feelings that this cloth has brought me, and how he managed to rekindle my passion for video projection!
post #6 of 32 Old 09-09-2011, 03:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Is there a mfgr's website? google results obscured by many false hits

Noah
post #7 of 32 Old 09-09-2011, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

The original Link is: http://www.skylinescreens.com/about-1/recensioni/

is an Italian site, i've before posted a link with google translator...
post #8 of 32 Old 09-09-2011, 09:37 PM

So do they ship to the US?
post #9 of 32 Old 09-11-2011, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter

I asked the manager, and he said he has no problem to ship in Usa...
post #10 of 32 Old 09-11-2011, 05:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 250
your screen might be the 1.8 gain Skyline version, the Shootout on the Skyline site compared the .8 gain versions of the DNP and BD screens with a 2.5 gain Skyline.

Hardly anything but a test weighted favorably toward the Skyline. A true comparative test would be involving at least the 1.4 gain Gen.3 BD and the 1.7 gain SNP screens against the 2.5 Skyline.

Pretty much "business" as usual. But also a interesting entry into the field. I'm certain many EU PJ enthusiasts will be pleased to give it a go...if it doesn't cost too many Euros (...or Lire...)

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #11 of 32 Old 09-11-2011, 06:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliv7 View Post

The original Link is: http://www.skylinescreens.com/about-1/recensioni/

is an Italian site, i've before posted a link with google translator...

So you did, sorry.

I read it but thought it must be a 3rd party site, as mfgr's are usually smart enough not to offer tests of their products against competitors', as no one would believe they're not biased.

As MM points out, the test is silly because of the gain differences.

Noah
post #12 of 32 Old 09-11-2011, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Caliv7,

Is the screen retro-reflective or angular reflective? Will I lose a significant amount of gain if the projector is ceiling-mounted (as in the case of HP)?

Thank you.
post #13 of 32 Old 09-13-2011, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theologian View Post

Will I lose a significant amount of gain if the projector is ceiling-mounted (as in the case of HP)?

Absolutely not, the screen is perfectly suited to the projectors mounted in line with the lower or upper edges of the screen ...
Mine is mounted on a small table in line with the lower edge of the screen and it works great!
post #14 of 32 Old 09-13-2011, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliv7 View Post

Absolutely not, the screen is perfectly suited to the projectors mounted in line with the lower or upper edges of the screen ...
Mine is mounted on a small table in line with the lower edge of the screen and it works great!

Obviously, you need to mount the new screen a few inches higher....
post #15 of 32 Old 09-14-2011, 08:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ_777 View Post

Obviously, you need to mount the new screen a few inches higher....

Being a High Gain screen, that might resign the performance to taking a hit.

Go figure.

And what might happen if the PJ must be place several inches above the Screen? Oops. In the EU, a great many PJs are table mounted, and Screens encroach the Floor due to lack of Ceiling access /material constructions / lower ceilings / beams, etc.

Much needs to be clarified and examined before this Screen can tout being adaptable to many situations, and as to if it's priced commensurate to it's performance considerations.

And it might be nice to know if you can even order one here in the US.

Mightn't it? I don't think it's even on that agenda.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #16 of 32 Old 09-14-2011, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 43
caliv7,
What projector are you using, and what's the calibrated lumens right now? Can you give us a ball park figure on USA converted pricing? If it's $800, then it might draw me, but if it's in the thousands, then I'm out.

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #17 of 32 Old 09-14-2011, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

And what might happen if the PJ must be place several inches above the Screen? Oops. In the EU, a great many PJs are table mounted, and Screens encroach the Floor due to lack of Ceiling access /material constructions / lower ceilings / beams, etc. Much needs to be clarified and examined before this Screen can tout being adaptable to many situations, and as to if it's priced commensurate to it's performance considerations.
And it might be nice to know if you can even order one here in the US.

The projector can be mounted either above (ceiling) or below the screen, many people have it mounted on the ceiling, even in the EU most people will mount on the ceiling, I have it on a table because I do not like the 'aesthetic effect of Pj. mounted on the ceiling and not because to lack of Ceiling access /material constructions / lower ceilings / beams, etc. You seem to know much of the EU (though not all know well ...) you have relatives here in EU? However, if you want, you can order one or more in the United States, just only have to pay ...

Here there is price list:

http://www.skylinescreens.com/listino/
post #18 of 32 Old 09-14-2011, 08:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

a 113" diagonal 16:9 Skyline Screen costs just over $2700.00 USD
a 136" diagonal 16:9 Skyline Screen costs just over $3000.00 USD
a 181" diagonal 16:9 Skyline Screen costs just over $3750.00 USD (now that's a biggun')

Before shipping....

Price points are certainly competitive with the DNP Supernova
Ridiculously less than the Black Diamond

If it is near to as good as anyone might hope it is, then somebody out to be vying for distribution rights and get a cargo container load over asap.

I'm just sayin'

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #19 of 32 Old 09-15-2011, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
a 113" diagonal 16:9 Skyline Screen costs just over $2700.00 USD
a 136" diagonal 16:9 Skyline Screen costs just over $3000.00 USD
a 181" diagonal 16:9 Skyline Screen costs just over $3750.00 USD (now that's a biggun')
the 113" 2500 USD
the 136" 2900 USD
the 181" 3600 USD

because of change Euro/dollar (ex. in EU we buy the 113" . 1850 ...)

i think you can buy it for less with co-buy or multiple order...
post #20 of 32 Old 09-16-2011, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
The price include frame or just the fabric? It would interesting if it can reject side/top/bottom ambient light and with wide viewing angle. As I already had a fixed screen frame, it would be cheaper for me to just get the fabric.
post #21 of 32 Old 09-19-2011, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjyap View Post

The price include frame or just the fabric?

The price include the frame, but they sell also just the fabric... The price is about 550$ for one square meter.
post #22 of 32 Old 01-27-2013, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 32
So, anyone tried ordering this?
post #23 of 32 Old 01-29-2013, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
They sent me a sample to see if I want put it in my screen line. I honestly haven't even tested it against my black diamond I have on display
post #24 of 32 Old 01-29-2013, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

For real? eek.gif Is it 1.8 or 2.5? Can you take a look? Please!
post #25 of 32 Old 01-29-2013, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I think they might have sent both its in a tube I hope my wife didn't toss it. It has been over a year. I didn't have my room/showroom done. Ill try to find it this weekend
Elix likes this.
post #26 of 32 Old 01-29-2013, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd be very greatful.
post #27 of 32 Old 04-11-2013, 05:34 AM

Any Update on the Skyline Screen vs the Blackdiamond?
post #28 of 32 Old 04-19-2013, 04:42 PM

Also keen to understand How compares to dnp flex classic.

...... Anyone?
post #29 of 32 Old 04-19-2013, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

post #30 of 32 Old 04-21-2013, 06:59 AM

Thanks Elix. I had looked at the thread ...a good discussion. Looks like I will be making the decision between the draper react 2.1 and the dnp super flex classic. ...just not sure if the dnp 08.85 will have enough pop for my 1600 max lumens Panasonic, and also concerned that the lack of tab tensioning on the dnp will lead to wrinkles in the screen as I am likely to open and retract on a regular basis. Never heard of the skyline before. If I could get dnp flex classic for same price as a draper react 2.1 linear...... By all accounts the dnp would still be the choice....would you agree?
Reply Screens