Projector screen advice - 140" x 82", 16' throw, Epson 8700 UB - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-07-2011, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was hoping I could get advice for a projector screen based on the room and specs below:

Projector: Epson 8700 UB
Throw: 16'
Image size: 140" wide by 82" tall
Room: Dedicated theatre room, light-controlled. See pics below.
Type: Prefer fixed screen

Diagram:

In a prior media room, I just got some no-name projector brand off eBay and it worked perfectly fine for my needs. But, that was a much more "normal" home theatre setup, whereas here I'm maxing out the capabilities of the Epson 8700. So, would I be shooting myself in the foot if I did that again? If so, what sort of screen should I be ordering?

The center in-wall speaker will be covered by the screen -- is that an issue for sound quality? I'm not sure how well sound passes through the screen fabric.

Any advice would be HUGELY appreciated -- I'm pretty desperate to get the screen ordered so I can start enjoying the room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-08-2011, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Bumpity - very much craving advice and would love to hear anything you can tell me.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-10-2011, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Bump again -- somebody save me, please!

Also, first post edited to reflect a question I hadn't put in yet (the screen will cover the center speaker).
post #4 of 7 Old 09-11-2011, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
You will need an acoustically transparent screen to have the center channel behind the screen fabric. If you are getting an AT screen, I would go ahead and all the front three speakers behind the screen for a more cinematic experience.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-25-2011, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Dave.

Can anyone tell me how I go about buying a screen of this size? I've been scouring the internet and can't find anything. Are there companies that sponsor/support this board that I can go to?

I'm really pretty desperate for help. Should I update the first post with more information about what I need?
post #6 of 7 Old 09-26-2011, 06:16 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drzy View Post

Thank you Dave.

Can anyone tell me how I go about buying a screen of this size? I've been scouring the internet and can't find anything. Are there companies that sponsor/support this board that I can go to?

I'm really pretty desperate for help. Should I update the first post with more information about what I need?

For your projector to work with an AT screen that is 140" wide, you are going to have to go with a microperf screen with some gain. I would not look at anything with less than 1.5 gain. This size and type of screen will cost much more than your projector. Personally, I would look at a smaller screen for that projector. If you would like some more advice, please email me.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-26-2011, 07:14 AM

Liked: 11
just like mjg said. The size seems a bit big for the projector. You will definitely be stretching it's limits. We carry different manufacturers that can attack different budget points. Feel free to contact us for pricing.

Benito
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page