Looking for advice on projector screen vs paint - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-23-2011, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all! First time poster here.

I recently purchased my first projector (an Epson 8350). I've spent the last couple of days reading forums (primarily this one) trying to decide between a DIY painted screen and a pre-made, fixed screen. Long story short, I'm still completely undecided. I was hoping I could get a little advice from more experienced HT folks. I thank you in advance if you're able to take a few moments to offer any.

Here's what I'm working with:
- Projector: Epson 8350
- Desired screen size: 120" (16:9)
- Room: 15.5' deep by 25' wide
- Lighting: There are a couple of curtained windows, but they let some ambient light in. I'm not sure but I would say the ambient light level is medium. (If this is a deal breaker I am willing to do more work in terms of black-out curtains. Additionally, I usually only have time for gaming/movies at night due to work.)
- Surrounding Walls/Ceiling: My walls are painted a very light blue, but as the room is large-ish I was hoping the reflection from them would be minimized. The ceiling itself is vaulted and about 20' to the top so I was thinking it would not be much of an issue.
- Budget: Less than $750 (the lower, the better)

Again, if you're able to offer any advice, I thank you for it.
If not, I'll keep reading and will eventually update this post with my decision.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-23-2011, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Brian,

I have had an Epson 8100 and it is my first projector setup. I have an Accuscreen 106" diagonal electric screen and I love my setup, but if I were to do it over I would do a Sintra/Komatex screen and a paint solution. I have excellent light control, so my white screen works, but with ambient light and the size of the screen you want to build a DIY screen would come in under $300 including paint. Also, if you watch a lot of movies you might want to consider a 2.35:1 ratio because it is easy to side mask to 16:9 with black curtains.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-23-2011, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Hey thanks for the info!

I've had my eye on Accuscreen because of their price-point. Amazon has a 120" Accuscreen for <$100. Even if they're only "ok" it's tempting at that price...

The paint option also seems like a pretty affordable way to go but I've been a little overwhelmed in terms of the number of options. The special projector-screen paints are pretty expensive (but maybe worth it, from what I've read).

I think I'll tackle the light control aspect of my room regardless of the screen solution I go with. It's never been an issue before I got the projector, but it seems like an obvious thing to do now.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-26-2011, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Final update: Thanks to the 1 fella who replied here. In case anyone else is interested I have actually decided (for now) to go the Accuscreens direction as well, mostly due to a really good deal I found on Amazon (120" screen for $96). I'll probably look at a DIY screen again at some time in the future when things are a little less hectic.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-26-2011, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Brian,

I am glad you got a good deal on a screen. Keep in mind that if you decide to paint down the road you can always paint your screen, even if it is electric. I may do that myself one of these days because my 16:9 screen is the right aspect ratio for watching football, which is when I do most of my watching with ambient light, anyway. Enjoy your new theater setup!
Reply Screens