Need help in deciding screen for 2.35 CIH - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-26-2011, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Folks,

I am planning a CIH setup with a 115x49 screen of 2.35 aspect ratio and a throw of 13.5 feet using my Mitsubishi HC4000 projector. The seating will be about 13-15 feet from the screen. The new Foot Lambert calculator shows that my screen brightness is only around 9-10fL which is on the lower side considering that it will only darken as the lamp life ages.

Where I'm located (in India), I have a choice between two screen materials for a custom made fixed frame screen of the above dimensions - a high gain screen and a high contrast screen. I don't have details of the exact gain measurement, but I tried keeping a sample on top of my existing 16:9 manual pull down screen and it seemed to be slightly brighter (the brochure for my manual pull-down states its 1.0 gain but I'm not sure), but I also noticed some kind of reflective shine when looking at the material sideways. The higher contrast screen sample definitely darkens the image compared to the high gain screen, and even compared to my manual pull-down.

My question is this - if I go for a high gain screen, what are the disadvantages? Will I have a problem with the viewing angles, considering a I have a U shaped seating of spread across 11 feet width? I know that there is a great deal of info available on the screen coating, reflectiveness etc in the USA, but the suppliers here do not seem to have that much info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-28-2011, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 36
check out www.carada.com I just bought their 'precision' frame with their Brilliant White, for I needed more gain going almost a foot bigger diagonally. The material is just awsome, and I haven't even calibrated yet. SO, if you need that extra 'punch', without getting a high power, then this is a great candidate.

Black levels will slightly suffer, but you can calibrate for that. As for the viewing cone; very good!

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #3 of 11 Old 09-28-2011, 02:37 PM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Be careful with the Carada Brilliant White. I see many installs which exhibit little to no screen gain with this material.
post #4 of 11 Old 09-28-2011, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post

Be careful with the Carada Brilliant White. I see many installs which exhibit little to no screen gain with this material.

I totally disagree. look here at my DIY vs ELITE 1.1 vs BW....the proof is in the pictures my friend.....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1361319

Terrence

post #5 of 11 Old 09-29-2011, 07:38 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post

I totally disagree. look here at my DIY vs ELITE 1.1 vs BW....the proof is in the pictures my friend.....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1361319

Compare it to a real gain material like StudioTek 130 and see what you get. It may also vary by sample. But, I can tell you with certainty that Brilliant White is usually not much brighter than a piece of printer paper which is about 0.96 gain. This paper test along with a comparison to StudioTek 130 will show you your relative gain since both are pretty consistent.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-30-2011, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I just calibrated my PJ with the disney WOW disc, and I am not, and don't want to be a professional calibrator, but to my eyes, the carada BW DOES THE JOB. Surprisingly, it delivers a fabulous picture with minor adjustments to brightness/contrast/tint, etc. I'm no CMS dude, but I have had almost 15 years experience with digital projectors....experience is knowledge!!!

Terrence

post #7 of 11 Old 09-30-2011, 12:15 PM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Here is a photo showing the visual difference between StudioTek 130 on the left. Carada Brilliant White is in the middle, SnoMatte 100 is on the right and the background material is Carada Cinema White. It is obvious the gain of the Brilliant White material is nowhere near what the StudioTek 130 is.
LL
post #8 of 11 Old 09-30-2011, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

umr,
I'd like to see this pic of yours, but I can't view it....

Terrence

post #9 of 11 Old 09-30-2011, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

just viewed it and I think the BW is the best of the bunch. The snow white is way too bright and the studiotek, while you think it has more gain, I think the BW beats it. Can you show this showdown with some visuals on the screen?

Terrence

post #10 of 11 Old 10-01-2011, 07:54 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post

just viewed it and I think the BW is the best of the bunch. The snow white is way too bright and the studiotek, while you think it has more gain, I think the BW beats it. Can you show this showdown with some visuals on the screen?

I screwed up in labeling the post. The left is the StudioTek 130 and the right is the SnoMatte 100.

Judging too bright off a photo is silly. The actual light level in the photo is determined by f/stop, shutter speed and ASA. The photo just shows the relative gain of these three materials.

You need to target a certain foot Lambert level for a front projection screen. This is done with lumen levels, screen size and screen gain.
post #11 of 11 Old 10-01-2011, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I'm just chiming in here to agree with umr on the relative gain of the Carada Brilliant White. Comparing a bunch of samples recently, the BW fell somewhere around the JKP HD Progressive 1.1 in gain, but no where close to the 1.3 gain of the Studiotek 130. While I don't know what your DIY screen is made of, comparing my DIY screen to samples, I found that it seems to exhibit around 0.8 gain overall (HD Progressive 0.9 was the closest material in brightness to it). While the Elite and Carada materials (which I have up for testing) would both appear brighter than it, they aren't close to the Studiotek in gain despite their ratings.

Neither of us are saying the Brilliant White can't work well for some people, just that the rating of 1.4 on the gain is significantly off and shouldn't be trusted, unlike the 1.3 gain on the Studiotek 130, which is far more accurate in it's ratings.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, www.hometheaterhifi.com
Displays Editor, AnandTech.com
Contributor, HDGuru.com and Wirecutter.com
ISF Level II Certified Calibrator, ReferenceHomeTheater.com
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page