I will be purchasing a Sony VPL-HW30ES (or possibly a used Sony VPL-VWPRO1 depending on price) and want to make sure I am getting the right screen. This is my first projector purchase ever, and I will be upgrading from a 50" Kuro Elite.
- My room is completely light controlled (pitch black to illuminated on demand)
- Room is 11ft wide x 11ft long (9ft high)
- Distance from projector lens to screen is 10ft
- Seating distance is 9ft from the screen (only one row of seats)
- 3D capability is a non-issue/non-factor in my decision
- Will be sticking with 16:9 format
The first thing I need help deciding on is screen size: 84" or 92"?
Having looked at the sticky and other calculators, it seems that a 92" screen is a tad large given my short viewing distance and short throw distance, whereas 84" would definitely be the more "friendly" size to work with. Thought? Is the extra 8" worth trying to force the bigger screen into my smaller room, or is 84" going to do just fine? Does a smaller screen give a more crisp/clear image?
Second is screen brand. The salesman I usually buy from at my local A/V store is recommending me an Elite Prime Vision (Dream Window) Custom Install screen, white, 1.1 gain. Any foreseeable problems? Is this a respectable screen, especially for smaller sizes?
Thanks guys! Really excited to get this all finalized and setup. Can't wait!