Size vs Quality - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 10-23-2011, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I remember when I bought my first projector about six years ago. It was a Sanyo Z2, which was a 2003 model so I felt I was getting a good deal on it. The day it arrived, I had already created my DIY screen goo screen, which was around 115". I took it out of the box, connected everything, and then fired it up. I'll never forget how I felt when I saw that the image was literally taking up the entire wall in size, much MUCH larger than the dimensions of the screen I had created. On the one hand I was not happy that I hadn't been more careful learning about throw distance and all that, but on the other hand seeing an image that size blew my mind! The movie 50 first Dates was on, and to have Drew Barrymore and Adam Sandler life size in my room was pretty cool.

Anyway, since that time I've had a few variations of screen type and size, over the course of living with two projectors (I upgraded to a Mitsu 4900 in 2007). I've definitely observed the improvements in PQ from a screen that is slightly smaller in size, but I think when it all comes down to it, I'd rather have a screen that is maxed out in size vs having the absolute best PQ.

I have always found videophiles amazing. On the one hand I understand them, because I am just as detail oriented and picky about audio. I'm an audiophile. On the other hand, they tend to focus on things that, quite often, I just don't seem to observe as easily as they do. I remember when I posted some screenshots from my 4900 when I first got it. To me,they looked great! But I'll never forget how at least half the comments seemed to pick up on deficiencies that I just didn't see at all.

So what I'm curious about is how many of you guys would rather have a bigger screen, even if at the expense of image quality just a bit? I'm not talking about putting up a 200" screen and having a completely washed out image...I'm talking about maybe going 20" more than what you probably should in terms of size, just because the idea of a larger screen appeals to you more than preserving every last bit of PQ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 10-24-2011, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I didn't read your whole post, but I fit right in the middle; good pic and good size. I've upgraded my first DIY 16:9 grey screen to a DIY 104" 2.40:1 white screen. GOING SCOPE WAS THE BIGGEST AND BEST IMPROVEMENT FOR ME. Now I just bought a 115" Carada BW precision scope screen; almost a foot larger, and as large as the wall could do. I LOVE IT.....SO, if size does matter, please do yourself a favor and get a scope screen (if you don't already have one).

BTW seating distance is crucial imo.....i sit 12 feet back and it's perfect!
LL
LL

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #3 of 23 Old 10-24-2011, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
post #4 of 23 Old 10-24-2011, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

nice one Tryg

Terrence

post #5 of 23 Old 10-24-2011, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
yeah but i think boobs have to be proportional to her body. i mean if she it 100lb 5'0" with D's COME ON!!!!!. with that being said i would rock the biggest thats proportional to the wall space and seating distance now if she had c's thennnnnn
post #6 of 23 Old 10-24-2011, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

my screen is just the way I like it; a size C

Terrence

post #7 of 23 Old 10-24-2011, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post

I didn't read your whole post, but I fit right in the middle; good pic and good size. I've upgraded my first DIY 16:9 grey screen to a DIY 104" 2.40:1 white screen. GOING SCOPE WAS THE BIGGEST AND BEST IMPROVEMENT FOR ME. Now I just bought a 115" Carada BW precision scope screen; almost a foot larger, and as large as the wall could do. I LOVE IT.....SO, if size does matter, please do yourself a favor and get a scope screen (if you don't already have one).

BTW seating distance is crucial imo.....i sit 12 feet back and it's perfect!

Aw man, seeing that shot from ESB reminds me of when I saw it as a kid! That screen rocks!
post #8 of 23 Old 10-24-2011, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryg View Post

it's a lot like boobs...

lol
post #9 of 23 Old 10-24-2011, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Summa,
I like your APT setup, but ya gotta do something with those white walls! How long to you plan to live there, cause you can always repaint the walls and ceilings. Is that a bass trap in the corner? I used to have an apartment, but thankfully I live in a house with it's own walls. It's bad enough with the epik tower sub I have; it shakes the foundation! BTW, nice Mags you got

Terrence

post #10 of 23 Old 10-24-2011, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Summa,
I like your APT setup, but ya gotta do something with those white walls! How long to you plan to live there, cause you can always repaint the walls and ceilings. Is that a bass trap in the corner? I used to have an apartment, but thankfully I live in a house with it's own walls. It's bad enough with the epik tower sub I have; it shakes the foundation! BTW, nice Mags you got

Yep, those are my GIK corner traps, although I'm about to remove them for a while. I was in another apartment in this same complex for a few months this summer, and the Maggies seemed to really like NOT having the traps around. The sound I was getting was amazing, much better than how they sounded here, even though the layout of the floor plan is about the same. So the only panels I'm gonna keep up are the ones at the first reflection points for now and go from there.

If I renew the least for another year, I may very well consider painting the walls....I used to have a man cave with dark walls and the PQ was significnatly better...although for an apartment setting, I'm still really happy with how well things look and sound here. I picked up a little M8 subwoofer from Outlaw Audio (after selling my bigass SVS PB13), and after putting it up on an Auralax Subdude, the isolation is very good. So between the size of the screen i put up this week (120"), the detail of the Maggies, and this powerful little sub, it's a really impressive HT experience

That Epik sub you have must ROCK!!
post #11 of 23 Old 10-24-2011, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I'm at 136" wide from 12', so I like a fairly immersive picture too. I thought I might be pushing it light wise (RS20 on a 1.3 gain AT screen), but in practice it hasn't been an issue, perhaps because the room is a bat cave. And I wouldn't go smaller, it's the perfect size for my preference (watched movies on a temp screen for two weeks before ordering my screen frame / material, to make sure I had my size / aspect ratio nailed down to my satisfaction).
post #12 of 23 Old 10-25-2011, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

I'm at 136" wide from 12', so I like a fairly immersive picture too. I thought I might be pushing it light wise (RS20 on a 1.3 gain AT screen), but in practice it hasn't been an issue, perhaps because the room is a bat cave. And I wouldn't go smaller, it's the perfect size for my preference (watched movies on a temp screen for two weeks before ordering my screen frame / material, to make sure I had my size / aspect ratio nailed down to my satisfaction).

That's the size I was hoping to fit in here, too....only problem was that I wouldn't have enough room for my Maggies flanking the screen if I did, so I had to settle for the 120". But 136" at 12' sounds perfect to me!
post #13 of 23 Old 10-25-2011, 03:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 248
I have a 9-10ft seating distance to my screen and I use a variable image size system (zooming) with 4-way masking. So I can have scope images up to about 10 1/2 feet wide, and 16:9 content up to around 136" diagonal. Or...anything smaller than that as well.

Basically I put the biggest screen I could on my wall with 4 way masking so I'd never feel I was lacking options for image size.

One reason I did this is that I found, when first experimenting projecting image on my wall, that I really preferred a variety of image sizes. This depended on the quality of the source (DVD, or so-so Blu-Ray transfer, or great Blu-Ray transfer etc), and on the type of film, my mood, etc.

To my surprise I use the full size of my screen even less than I thought I would. I've long noted the sacrifices in image quality that happen as you blow up an image (though sometimes it can be amazing how little quality you sacrifice, with a great HD transfer). So I tend to find an image size that maximizes PQ with immersiveness.

So, I guess in answer to the OP: No, I don't necessarily find bigger=better. It often depends...
post #14 of 23 Old 10-25-2011, 07:50 PM

I'm tying to decide on my screen size right now! I just got the Epson 3010 and I'm having a hard time deciding between 120" Dia, 133" or 150". I'm setting 11' from the screen. My kids all say go biggest! I just know it will need to be cheap... maybe FAVI 150" electric on ebay for $400? or Elite Manual Series Black M150UWH2 Projection screen for about $200?

Choices, choices...... At least with my room size and projector throw distance I know 150" is max!
post #15 of 23 Old 10-25-2011, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael F. View Post

I'm tying to decide on my screen size right now! I just got the Epson 3010 and I'm having a hard time deciding between 120" Dia, 133" or 150". I'm setting 11' from the screen. My kids all say go biggest! I just know it will need to be cheap... maybe FAVI 150" electric on ebay for $400? or Elite Manual Series Black M150UWH2 Projection screen for about $200?

Choices, choices...... At least with my room size and projector throw distance I know 150" is max!

I just picked up an Elite manual 120" off Amazon (free shipping with Amazon prime!) and for the money it's a great little screen...well packed and I'm happy with the image. How do you like the 3010? I really want to pick up one of those, but the lack of lens shift makes it a tough go for me.
post #16 of 23 Old 10-26-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post

I just picked up an Elite manual 120" off Amazon (free shipping with Amazon prime!) and for the money it's a great little screen...well packed and I'm happy with the image. How do you like the 3010? I really want to pick up one of those, but the lack of lens shift makes it a tough go for me.

So far I love the 3010. I just need a screen to really check it out. The only problem I have with the 3010 so far is the Auto Iris is noisy. Sounds like a hard drive running sometimes.
post #17 of 23 Old 10-27-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post

I just ordered my 150" elite from Amazon last night. Got free super saver shipping but it said it did not qualify for Amazon Prime. Guess I will have to wait a few more days for it to arrive. This will give me more time to paint the room darker.

Nice thing was I was able to use AMEX points to pay for half of it!
post #18 of 23 Old 11-09-2011, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

I have a 9-10ft seating distance to my screen and I use a variable image size system (zooming) with 4-way masking. So I can have scope images up to about 10 1/2 feet wide, and 16:9 content up to around 136" diagonal. Or...anything smaller than that as well.

Basically I put the biggest screen I could on my wall with 4 way masking so I'd never feel I was lacking options for image size.

One reason I did this is that I found, when first experimenting projecting image on my wall, that I really preferred a variety of image sizes. This depended on the quality of the source (DVD, or so-so Blu-Ray transfer, or great Blu-Ray transfer etc), and on the type of film, my mood, etc.

To my surprise I use the full size of my screen even less than I thought I would. I've long noted the sacrifices in image quality that happen as you blow up an image (though sometimes it can be amazing how little quality you sacrifice, with a great HD transfer). So I tend to find an image size that maximizes PQ with imersiveness.

So, I guess in answer to the OP: No, I don't necessarily find bigger=better. It often depends...

is there any way of determining before buying a screen to determine at what point the degradation occurs for those various sources? (ie Xbox, HD Cable, Blu-ray etc)
would it not be difficult to tell on say a bedsheet

id hate to have bought this great sony95 and then go buy a 120" stewart 1.3 gain screen only to find out that PQ has been severely reduced due to excessive blowing up of the image.

any thoughts on this? thanks!
post #19 of 23 Old 11-09-2011, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

you will not see image degradation at 120" diag with the sony....

Terrence

post #20 of 23 Old 11-09-2011, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

you will not see image degradation at 120" diag with the sony....

KBMAN,

How do you think a JVC RS20 would fare with a 120" Wide / 130" Diagonal 2.35 Scope screen using an A-Lens?

Throw distance will be 16ft and viewing distance will be 12ft.

...Glenn
post #21 of 23 Old 11-09-2011, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post

is there any way of determining before buying a screen to determine at what point the degradation occurs for those various sources? (ie Xbox, HD Cable, Blu-ray etc)
would it not be difficult to tell on say a bedsheet

id hate to have bought this great sony95 and then go buy a 120" stewart 1.3 gain screen only to find out that PQ has been severely reduced due to excessive blowing up of the image.

any thoughts on this? thanks!

It depends on how you are zooming the image. If you are at the shortest throw, it will be brighter. But at long throw, it would be a better image. I had my RS40 on a 106in screen at 12'5" then at 19ft. At 19ft, the picture was so much better. I went up to 135in and it was still good. 3D just suffered.
post #22 of 23 Old 11-10-2011, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
i will be moving to a new house and the basement is 30' x 16' the throw distance is 16-18'..my first row of seats are 15' then the second row is 18' with a standing bar behind that...my projector is sanyo z2000..i need a new screen should i go for da lite high power 119" or the 133"....
will i lose alot of image degradation,, i have 92" now
post #23 of 23 Old 11-10-2011, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baumann View Post

KBMAN,

How do you think a JVC RS20 would fare with a 120" Wide / 130" Diagonal 2.35 Scope screen using an A-Lens?

Throw distance will be 16ft and viewing distance will be 12ft.

...Glenn

It IS doable, however I haven't used an A lens on my RS20, so I can't really give you a definitive answer on that. @ 115" diag, I see NO PQ loss on my setup. My projector is at 12 feet minimum throw, and seating is the same. You might need to run in High Lamp mode, and I think it will work out for 2.35 movies (since you are gaining approx. 33% more resolution for 2.35:1 material with an A lens).....At the end of the day, I would say GO FOR IT!!!

Terrence

Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page