DNP Supernova 2.3 gain vs BD G3 2.7, 1.4, & Vutec Silverstar (A Review) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 40 Old 12-08-2011, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently got ahold of a DNP sample and I was comparing it to other higher gain/ambient light screens. Im not a videophile, just an average person trying to make sense of all these screens...so chances are some people will have different views.

I compared the Black Diamond G3 1.4, Black Diamond G3 2.7, Vutec Silverstar (6.0 gain), and the DNP 23-23 (2.3 gain). I have some other normal screen (1.0 white/gray) samples that I compared, but all of these are in the same specialty screens category. Keep in mind these are from samples. I don't have the luxury of buying every screen full size. I also asked for the 0.8 gain material. They didn't send it but instead sent a plain white sample. I don't even see that white material on their website, but I'm not going to review that here. Projector is an Epson 8700UB, ceiling mounted.

Viewing Angle:

1. Surprisingly the Vutec Silverstar had a great viewing angle. Not much of a drop off going from side to side. Plenty of brightness off angle.

2. The DNP 23-23 had a drop in brightness going to the side. It was however a smooth transition and not like a sudden drop with the Da-Lite High Power Screens. Id compare it to a 1.0 gain screen off angle, but plenty bright head-on or slightly off axis. There was also no color shift when going off axis.

3. Both of the Black Diamonds had a good viewing angle, but a noticeable blue/purple tint was present when off to the side. The brightness on both was nice at the sides, but I ranked them last due to the color shift. I'd rather have a consistent color with a little less brightness.

Black Levels:

1. The DNP had slightly better black levels than the BD 1.4 and more than the 2.7. I'd say it had the best of all of them.

2. The BD 1.4 was next.

3. The BD 2.7 had surprisingly good levels for a higher gain, lighter color screen.

4. The Vutec Silverstar was last, but had decent black levels.

Sheen (this was my main concern):

1. All of the screens had a "sheen" that was visible, especially in bright scenes. The DNP 23-23 had the least amount of it though. You could see it in some scenes, but it is very manageable.

2. I almost bought a Vutec Silverstar about 7-8 months ago and didn't buy it because of the sheen that was present. I thought that pixilation and digital noise could be seen easier on this screen for some reason (could have been my imagination). After looking at it again, it's not as bad as I thought before but still present.

3. BD 1.4 had a sheen that was quite present in bright scenes. Darker scenes helped, but was a little noticeable. I assume the BD 0.8 would be the best of the BD's for this.

4. BD 2.7 was the worst of all. The sheen pretty much was visible at all times.

Brightness

1. The Vutec Silverstar was the brightest, but not near the 6.0 Gain it advertises. This is not a scientific calculation of gain.....just my opinion.

2. This was a tie between the DNP and BD 2.7. I couldn't tell too much of a difference.

3. BD 1.4 obviously since it's the lowest gain.

Lights on Performance

1. The DNP performed better at holding black levels than all of the other screens. During bright scenes, all looked pretty nice with the lights on, but this one excelled in keeping the black levels which prevents a washed out picture.

2. I'll have to go back and look again at which I prefer for #'s 2,3, and 4.

Screen Smoothness

1. All of the screens were very smooth. I don't know much about 4k x 2k projectors, but one would assume the smoother the screen material, the more future ready it is for the next step in picture quality (which is a ways off financially for me). I like that in the fact I won't have to spend $2000+ on another screen when I update to 4k in a few years.

In closing, it looks like it's the DNP for me. No screen is perfect, but I can live with the fallbacks of the DNP. In fact, really the only thing is the slight sheen that is present, and the drop in brightness off to the side. But that is to be expected with a higher gain screen. I'll be sitting right in front of the screen, so my friends will be the ones that have to deal with the slightly dimmer picture. Given the fact they are watching a 110 inch image...I doubt they will really care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 12-09-2011, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 39
ParanoidDroid >>> Thanks for the comparison review; I am still waiting for my DNP 23~23 sample to arrive so that i can compare it against samples from Da-Lite Silver Lite 2.5, High Power 2.4 and 2.8, Starbright 7, Mocom Mega Brilliance + Silver Brilliance and the Silverstar material, while at the same time using my high-gain screen as background comparison.
I haven't checked my sample of the Silverstar against the others because the screen comes pre-assembled in a huge crate, which i want to avoid, but i am most impressed with the performance of the Mocom Mega Brilliance screen sample with 7.0 gain.
Whereas on my current 1980"s silver high-gain 76" diagonal curved scren i can hardly discern a 1920x1080 grid of pixels (too small and fuzzy), on the Mocom sample i can clearly see every pixel onscreen for the first time.
Also, my screen has so much gain that at closer range i can clearly see R/G/B "sparklies" especially on white images, but putting up that Mocom Mega Brilliance eliminated the "sparklies" to a very large extent, which surprised me, considering its very high gain of 7.0.
If you are considering spending that amount of money on a high-gain screen perhaps you should contact Mocom and pay $23 for the two samples ? You may be surprised...
post #3 of 40 Old 12-09-2011, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks MC. Im kind of hesitant to buy from Mocom since they are based overseas and don't have a footprint here. I would feel better if they had a US dealer. I know they are trying to get over here, but that could be a while.

DNP is based overseas too, but they are a well respected company and have US dealers too.

Ill prob order a sample anyways as you have me curious.
post #4 of 40 Old 12-09-2011, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParanoidDroid View Post

Viewing Angle:... The DNP 23-23 had a drop in brightness going to the side. It was however a smooth transition and not like a sudden drop with the Da-Lite High Power Screens. Id compare it to a 1.0 gain screen off angle, but plenty bright head-on or slightly off axis. There was also no color shift when going off axis.

Could you elaborate on this please? How far off angle? Outside the width of the screen?

It's very interesting to read your comparison. The DNP screen is intriguing.
post #5 of 40 Old 12-09-2011, 04:27 PM

I'm a newbie on projectors and screens and I'm researching what screen to use on my Epson 6010. Thanks a lot for this review. A question on the DNP 23-23, do you think the drop in brightness may be on such high gain screen only or a lower gain, same model, will not have it?

Of course I would also like to know the answer to DigsMovies question.
post #6 of 40 Old 12-10-2011, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Hey guys, ill comment on the questions probably monday, busy weekend with 2 parties at my place today. Ill get some comments from my friends and see what they think too.
post #7 of 40 Old 02-23-2012, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey guys, ill comment on the questions probably monday, busy weekend with 2 parties at my place today. Ill get some comments from my friends and see what they think too.

Did you end up getting a DNP, or are you still in evaluation mode? If you've had some time with the full screen installed, what are your impressions now?

Thanks for sharing your experience!
post #8 of 40 Old 02-23-2012, 08:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos View Post

I'm a newbie on projectors and screens and I'm researching what screen to use on my Epson 6010. Thanks a lot for this review. A question on the DNP 23-23, do you think the drop in brightness may be on such high gain screen only or a lower gain, same model, will not have it?

Of course I would also like to know the answer to DigsMovies question.

A lower gain screen will have less drop off. Give us a call if you would like to discuss these screens.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #9 of 40 Old 02-26-2012, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Hi guys, sorry I never updated, but I did end up going with the DNP Supernova 23-23 material. I am really happy except for a couple of things.

One is that there are horizontal shadows present in bright scenes. maybe 2,3 inches tall, and 4 or 5 present. I have a picture I can post later to display it. I am currently talking with dnp to try and resolve it. They recomended moving my projector down and seeing if that helps....which I havent had time to do, but they said they will make it right.

Another thing is that the glue they use for the velvet border between the screen and aluminum frame is visible. When light hits it, its like a higher gain portion of the screen. Its not a huge deal as I never focus on the borders. But it appears to be present for all their screens as the sample has it too.

Other than those, it is a beautiful bright screen that handles light very well. The off axis viewing is superb. The BD has a blue/purple tint as u move side to side. This has consistent color all the way around without much light loss.

The screen handles light from above better than at a horizontal angle...but it handles that pretty decent.

Ill get some pictures when I get back to my place as im out of town right now.
post #10 of 40 Old 02-27-2012, 01:28 AM

Hi there

I'm currently using a DNP Supernova Core 100" with the 23-23 material but I'll send it back soon. I have the same issues with horizontal shadows which are up to 6 inches high going from one side to the other. This is very annoying if the camera moves vertically. Here are some pics:

German hifi-forum

My main issue is the screen structure. I'm sitting 9 feet away and its clearly visible to me. HD material looks nearly like SD as if you were projecting on sand, sharpness suffers greatly. Now I'm considering buying a 0.8 DNP or a BD.

Greetings from Germany
post #11 of 40 Old 02-27-2012, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r4Yn View Post

Hi there

I'm currently using a DNP Supernova Core 100" with the 23-23 material but I'll send it back soon. I have the same issues with horizontal shadows which are up to 6 inches high going from one side to the other. This is very annoying if the camera moves vertically. Here are some pics:

German hifi-forum

My main issue is the screen structure. I'm sitting 9 feet away and its clearly visible to me. HD material looks nearly like SD as if you were projecting on sand, sharpness suffers greatly. Now I'm considering buying a 0.8 DNP or a BD.

Greetings from Germany

Very interesting pictures- Thanks for those!
post #12 of 40 Old 02-27-2012, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Yup, looks like the same thing I am experiencing. I wonder if its a bad batch...when did you buy yours?

I did notice some reduced sharpness, but I don't think its so bad that I have to return it. It could be because I am sitting a little further back though (12 feet).
post #13 of 40 Old 02-27-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigsMovies View Post

Very interesting pictures- Thanks for those!

You're welcome.

Quote:

Yup, looks like the same thing I am experiencing. I wonder if its a bad batch...when did you buy yours?

Mine is about 6 months old according to my dealer. He already used it once on an exhibition.

Quote:

I did notice some reduced sharpness, but I don't think its so bad that I have to return it. It could be because I am sitting a little further back though (12 feet).

It is really bad while browsing with huge white spaces. Plus, when I turn my head slightly right and left I see something similar to the rainbow effekt on DLP projectors. No, I see it constantly in white spaces but while turning my head it is really annoying
post #14 of 40 Old 02-27-2012, 02:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:

Hi there

German hifi-forum

You might not get your hopes too high for the BD screens. They have significant optical coating (including the .8 version) and it is visible with a similar "sandy/crystal-like" layer on the screen image, as you saw with the DNP. Some people aren't bothered by this, but it seems you are sensitive to it, so just beware that a low gain rating does not in any way mean "less sandy/sparkly" screen issues, as low gain, dark gray specialty screens tend to employ optical coatings that cause this issue. That's the case with the BD screens, the DNP screens, the Gray Wolf, and the Stewart Firehawk, to varying degrees.

If you are sensitive to uneven illumination (hot-spotting), the BD screens both .8 and 1.4 both hot-spot (if you are nearer one side, the opposite side image will look darker).

The DNP board samples I have show the 23-23 does have quite a bet of sheen. The .8 gain sample less obvious sheen. But I don't know how the .8 gain version plays out in terms of hot-spotting or screen coating artifacts, on a full screen.

Also, be aware if you go with the .8 gain screens (BD or DNP) they dim the image significantly. I have seen numerous projectors struggle somewhat to produce a bright image on the .8 gain screens. Best to keep your screen size 100" or smaller (16:9 diag) if you want decent brightness with one of these gray screens, IMO.

Just giving some things to think about.

All screens have compromises. My Stewart ST-130 screen looks amazing, but it is "compromised" insofar as you can't just put it into a brightly decorated room, or room with ambient light, and expect it to perform like a DNP or BD screen, so I've had to ensure my room is non-reflective to get the best performance. If you have a "challenging" room and need a specialty gray screen, then you just have to hope you don't find the artifacts intrusive.

Rich H

post #15 of 40 Old 02-28-2012, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

You might not get your hopes too high for the BD screens. They have significant optical coating (including the .8 version) and it is visible with a similar "sandy/crystal-like" layer on the screen image, as you saw with the DNP. Some people aren't bothered by this, but it seems you are sensitive to it, so just beware that a low gain rating does not in any way mean "less sandy/sparkly" screen issues, as low gain, dark gray specialty screens tend to employ optical coatings that cause this issue. That's the case with the BD screens, the DNP screens, the Gray Wolf, and the Stewart Firehawk, to varying degrees.

Really? Thats so sad, since it is the only way to achieve a watchable picture during day time without having a bat cave. And this is exactly what I need because I already banned my LCD. This it what it looks like: Picture

I thought this "sandy/crystal-like" layer on my 2.3 gain DNP is the reason why it is not ISF certified other than that 0.8 gain?

I chose the path of integrating a cinema into my living room. I do not have the space for a dedicated theater room and I don't want to buy things twice for enjoying music in my living room. Painting the living room is not an option.

Quote:

If you are sensitive to uneven illumination (hot-spotting), the BD screens both .8 and 1.4 both hot-spot (if you are nearer one side, the opposite side image will look darker).

"Uneven illumination" or hot-spotting is not that much of an issue to me. You barely see it during a movie. Guess I could live with that if its the price. But coating (if I unterstand it right, its those shadow lines?) and this "sandy/crystal-like" layer is a serious problem to me.

Quote:

The DNP board samples I have show the 23-23 does have quite a bet of sheen. The .8 gain sample less obvious sheen. But I don't know how the .8 gain version plays out in terms of hot-spotting or screen coating artifacts, on a full screen.

Also, be aware if you go with the .8 gain screens (BD or DNP) they dim the image significantly. I have seen numerous projectors struggle somewhat to produce a bright image on the .8 gain screens. Best to keep your screen size 100" or smaller (16:9 diag) if you want decent brightness with one of these gray screens, IMO.

Guess I could go with a 0.8 screen due to the fact I'm not able to see 3D. 100" would be ok. The reason I would rather go with a BD is because it has the darker surface. And this is what determines the black level in my understanding. You denied this in the BD-thread but I do not get it

Plus, the rigid BD (zero edge) is cheaper than the rigid DNP (Supernova One).

Quote:

Just giving some things to think about.

Yes, and I appreciate it very much. In Germany it is like no one ever heard about those screens.

Quote:

All screens have compromises. My Stewart ST-130 screen looks amazing, but it is "compromised" insofar as you can't just put it into a brightly decorated room, or room with ambient light, and expect it to perform like a DNP or BD screen, so I've had to ensure my room is non-reflective to get the best performance. If you have a "challenging" room and need a specialty gray screen, then you just have to hope you don't find the artifacts intrusive.

I saw your cinema in the Stewart-thread and it is simply one of the nicest ones I've ever seen. Screen size / viewing distance ratio is perfekt and it looks very comfortable. I'd love to watch a movie there But its not a place for sitting around and talk to your mother in law and I do wan't both.

Kind Regards
Reinhard

Ps: Sorry for my english, I start every sentence with "I"
post #16 of 40 Old 02-28-2012, 10:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 156
There is another option, though complex and expensive - for daytime use, a second screen and projector.

The screen would be quite a dark gray to absorb room light, and the projector a very bright commercial model to get a bright enough image.

The projector's contrast would be intrinsically low, but the on-screen contrast could still be better during the day.

One or both of them could be electric.

Noah
post #17 of 40 Old 02-28-2012, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have had the 23-23 for about 16 months married to a DPI M260 LED. It is is 10.5 ft wide in 2.37. If anyone wants to chat send me a PM perhaps I can get you a sample.

Excellent pic quality and more than except able during the day.

As far as Vutec I like it to but it does have a sheen. Now the 6.0 is hype the folks at VT wil say it's more Like 2.5

Mike Miles

ICR [ Sales Consulting and Small Part-Time AV shop, very small...  ]

Process Integration, Inc. [ contract sales consultant ]

Eastern Shore of Maryland

post #18 of 40 Old 02-28-2012, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Keep in mind that the amount of hotspotting is a function of many things. Screen size, throw distance, seating distance, throw angle and seating angle will all affect hotspotting. Short throws and wide viewing angles is asking for trouble. Sure- there is a subjective element to this issue. Some people are just more bothered by it than others, but there is an objective part as well. Some installations will minimize it and others will be problematic.

The choice for many is not between a a DNP/BD and a white screen. Rather, it is between a DNP/BD and a television. Maybe it is a compromise, but for many people, it is a good one to make.
post #19 of 40 Old 02-28-2012, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Very true. I sit about 14 ft back and the throw ratio is about 2.0 or 16ft from the screen.

Mike Miles

ICR [ Sales Consulting and Small Part-Time AV shop, very small...  ]

Process Integration, Inc. [ contract sales consultant ]

Eastern Shore of Maryland

post #20 of 40 Old 02-28-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigsMovies View Post

The choice for many is not between a a DNP/BD and a white screen. Rather, it is between a DNP/BD and a television. Maybe it is a compromise, but for many people, it is a good one to make.

Hey, the one comes with the other.

I decided to have a projector only. Now I don't know if DNP or BD My DNP 23-23 says I should go BD.
post #21 of 40 Old 02-28-2012, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Yea, mine has some hotspotting, but I was expecting that going into it because its 110 inch and im sitting 12 ft back.

the only thing im bothered by on this screen is the shadows. I can deal with hotspots and the glue I was discussing earlier. The sheen isnt bad.

I put some samples up last night of a basic carada gray and a dalite white 1.0. I just wanted to see the difference since I hadn't looked at samples since my purchase. Those look like sh-t compared to the dnp. I don't think I could ever go back to a "normal" screen even though the normal has a more uniform picture. My wife was amazed at the difference too, especially in lighting.
post #22 of 40 Old 02-28-2012, 01:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

"Uneven illumination" or hot-spotting is not that much of an issue to me. You barely see it during a movie. Guess I could live with that if its the price. But coating (if I unterstand it right, its those shadow lines?) and this "sandy/crystal-like" layer is a serious problem to me.

You may find you notice the BD coating less than the DNP coating. Hard to say, unfortunately, until you see them personally.

Quote:

Guess I could go with a 0.8 screen due to the fact I'm not able to see 3D. 100" would be ok. The reason I would rather go with a BD is because it has the darker surface. And this is what determines the black level in my understanding. You denied this in the BD-thread but I do not get it

There are a lot of issues that get mixed up when it comes to discussing the black levels of a gray screen vs a white screen.

Take a projector putting out an image of a single brightness. What effect does the screen have on the brightness of the image? A screen will not rise or lower the image brightness selectively - e.g. it will not lower black levels while keeping or raising only the bright areas. It will raise or lower the brightness of the ENTIRE image, black bars included.

What determines how much it will raise the image brightness is it's actual screen gain (and to some degree, it's tendency to hot-spot). Take a white screen of gain 1.0 and a gray screen of a real gain of 1.0. It doesn't matter how dark the initial screen you start with on the gray screen. You have to apply significant optical enhancement (optical coating) to raise the brightness to an actual 1.0 gain for the viewer. If it's actually reflecting back at 1.0, it is reflecting the SAME brightness as the white screen, and black bars will be no darker.

So you can take a regular old gray screen at .8 gain, doesn't look very dark, vs a black diamond screen rated at .8 gain, and the black diamond's substrate starts much darker. But if the .8 gain rating is accurate for the BD, it's reflected image is exactly as bright as the lighter looking gray screen, due to the added optical coating on the BD screen, which the regular gray screen has not added.

This gets complicated by the introduction of room reflecting characteristics and hot-spotting. Regarding hot-spotting, a BD screen, if it matches it's gain rating accurately, will hot-spot, be brighter in the center. So the center may measure .8 gain, but that gain will fade off from the center, becoming lower for the rest of the screen. In which case, the black bars on the BD screen may look darker than on another .8 gain screen, because in fact much of the image is actually dimmer on the BD screen than it's .8 gain rating.

Another issue is room effects. A black diamond screen won't "make" the black's darker, but it will maintain deeper black levels if there is ambient light or wall reflections, vs another .8 gain (or 1.0 gain) screen. But if you are watching in a light controlled room, this advantage for the BD screen should essentially disappear (and that is what happens in my room. I have a white 1.3 gain screen and it's black levels look at least as good as the BD 1.4 gain gray screen, because my room reflections have been controlled).

It may be that, despite all this, you'll be happier with the .8 gain DNP or BD screen. Some industry folks have claimed the DNP .8 screen is very free from screen surface artifacts and so it may be better than the BD .8 gain screen in that regard.

I have a sample of the .8 gain DNP and from what I can tell (hard to tell from a sample) it appears to have less obvious sheen or "sandy" texture with projected images, vs the BD screens that I've seen.

Quote:

I saw your cinema in the Stewart-thread and it is simply one of the nicest ones I've ever seen. Screen size / viewing distance ratio is perfekt and it looks very comfortable. I'd love to watch a movie there But its not a place for sitting around and talk to your mother in law and I do wan't both.

We love the room for hanging out and entertaining. My wife had a bunch of friends over recently and they chose to sit in that room for chatting, drinking, since it is so cozy and nice for comfortable conversation.

Maybe mothers-in-law prefer more traditional surroundings?

Rich H

post #23 of 40 Old 02-28-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

There is another option, though complex and expensive - for daytime use, a second screen and projector.

The screen would be quite a dark gray to absorb room light, and the projector a very bright commercial model to get a bright enough image.

The projector's contrast would be intrinsically low, but the on-screen contrast could still be better during the day.

One or both of them could be electric.

Thank you, bad that sounds not that much of an option to me. Guess I would rather always darken the room completly to go with one projektor + screen and just don't watch during day-time or with abmbient lights on.

Quote:

You may find you notice the BD coating less than the DNP coating. Hard to say, unfortunately, until you see them personally.

Yeah and when I see a BD in person its because I own one, since there is no local dealer in Germany

Quote:

There are a lot of issues that get mixed up when it comes to discussing the black levels of a gray screen vs a white screen.

Yes I've seen that and I guess I mix up some facts too

Quote:

Take a projector putting out an image of a single brightness. What effect does the screen have on the brightness of the image? A screen will not rise or lower the image brightness selectively - e.g. it will not lower black levels while keeping or raising only the bright areas. It will raise or lower the brightness of the ENTIRE image, black bars included.

What determines how much it will raise the image brightness is it's actual screen gain (and to some degree, it's tendency to hot-spot). Take a white screen of gain 1.0 and a gray screen of a real gain of 1.0. It doesn't matter how dark the initial screen you start with on the gray screen. You have to apply significant optical enhancement (optical coating) to raise the brightness to an actual 1.0 gain for the viewer. If it's actually reflecting back at 1.0, it is reflecting the SAME brightness as the white screen, and black bars will be no darker.

So you can take a regular old gray screen at .8 gain, doesn't look very dark, vs a black diamond screen rated at .8 gain, and the black diamond's substrate starts much darker. But if the .8 gain rating is accurate for the BD, it's reflected image is exactly as bright as the lighter looking gray screen, due to the added optical coating on the BD screen, which the regular gray screen has not added.

Ok, I think I get what you mean. But here are my thoughts on this:

The black level is determined by the pj, the screen and the room.

The blackest black the pj can provide is when you turn it off. Because everything the pj can provide is light, less light and no light (no light is actually the lowest amount of less light ).

Now comes the screen. I agree with you on the gain facts. If the pj is throwing its 0.01 lumen black at the screen. The grey, the white and the BD 0.8 screens reflect the exact same amount of lumen, here: 0.008. But that is not the point. The thing is whats left and thats the color of the screen itself.

And thats why you need a bat cave for standard white screens. Because in a total black room with all lights off, the grey, the white and the BD looks exactly the same, just black. But the more light is in the room, because of the projektor, the reflections of the wall or because of a window, whatsoever, the more you see the actual color of the screen.

So the actual thing with the BD is, that its possible to project a decent white or color although it has a black surface. So using a white screen with a projector to produce black is like two men trying to make a baby.

Quote:

Another issue is room effects. A black diamond screen won't "make" the black's darker, but it will maintain deeper black levels if there is ambient light or wall reflections, vs another .8 gain (or 1.0 gain) screen. But if you are watching in a light controlled room, this advantage for the BD screen should essentially disappear (and that is what happens in my room. I have a white 1.3 gain screen and it's black levels look at least as good as the BD 1.4 gain gray screen, because my room reflections have been controlled).

So we agree on that: If the room is no bat cave then the best is BD and DNP?

Quote:

It may be that, despite all this, you'll be happier with the .8 gain DNP or BD screen. Some industry folks have claimed the DNP .8 screen is very free from screen surface artifacts and so it may be better than the BD .8 gain screen in that regard.

I have a sample of the .8 gain DNP and from what I can tell (hard to tell from a sample) it appears to have less obvious sheen or "sandy" texture with projected images, vs the BD screens that I've seen.

Maybe it will be the DNP 0.8 for me. I make my decision this week. If I go for the rigid screen the DNP would be more expensive than the BD.
post #24 of 40 Old 02-28-2012, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yeah and when I see a BD in person its because I own one, since there is no local dealer in Germany

What about the Stewart Firehawk? You might be able to find this in Germany. It certainly belongs in any discussion of top tier ambient light screens IMO. I have seen the Firehawk multiple times, including one time vs. the BD. I was impressed. It's also available in an Acoustically Transparent version (and an expensive masking option as well).
post #25 of 40 Old 02-28-2012, 05:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah, I forgot about the Firehawk. I think it's a great choice. It does have all the issues of the other screens (visible screen structure/hot-spotting) but I find them less obvious and most people don't notice the issues at all. I'd think it's one of your best bets!

Rich H

post #26 of 40 Old 03-23-2012, 04:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I am impressed with the dnp screens. The black diamond I find way to distracting and has too many aberrations.

I am going to play with it more as the one I was looking at was a massive curved screen.

Not a big fan of the curved screens.

Geometry plays a big factor in overcoming uniformity issues and hotspotting.

I found with the dnp screen the lens has to be in the screen area
post #27 of 40 Old 03-23-2012, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

joel silver seems to like it
post #28 of 40 Old 03-27-2012, 01:37 PM

I had an environment with lots of ambient light and the DNP was amazing in allowing us to keep the lights on and use the projector.

The location and directionality of your ambient light can make a huge difference in how well the DNP works. Light coming from the same direction as your projector will harm the image. Light coming from above or the sides is rejected wonderfully.

I personally wasn't bothered by hot spotting effects, but everyone notices and finds different things objectionable, so if you can see one in person.

Some comparison pics between a DIY screen vs the DNP with the lights on (last pic is lights off)

and the cat picture with the lights off in my room
post #29 of 40 Old 03-27-2012, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for sharing the pics! Is that the 08-85 or the 23-23 material?
post #30 of 40 Old 03-27-2012, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 117
so what is the typical price range on this dnp screen? say 110" 16:9
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page