Dalite HP screen suffer from burn in ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 12-31-2011, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello and Happy New Year to Everyone !!!

I just purchased a used 119" electric Dalite HP screen in very good condition (manufactured 3 years ago).

The one issue the screen has is it has a clearly defined approx 8-10 inches band at the top and bottom of the screen that is brighter than the middle section...clearly visible during bright scenes.

It looks like the bands described has something to do with the previous owner using a 2.35:1 projector...

My question is can the Dalite HP screen suffer from some sort of 'burn in'? or is it something to do with general dirt built up on the screen and need a good clean ? or maybe the screen was exposed to sunlight over the years ?

I've email Dalite but hopefully will get a faster response from someone in this forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-01-2012, 03:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Try cleaning it. Just use a soft cloth and warm water. Work from top to bottom, and not in circles, then go over it again with a dry cloth. The screen will look very dim with a projected image at first, but it brighten back to normal as it dries, which usually takes a half hour or so..
post #3 of 15 Old 01-01-2012, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post

Try cleaning it. Just use a soft cloth and warm water. Work from top to bottom, and not in circles, then go over it again with a dry cloth. The screen will look very dim with a projected image at first, but it brighten back to normal as it dries, which usually takes a half hour or so..

Yes I'll give it a wipe tomorrow and see what happen.
post #4 of 15 Old 01-03-2012, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

I tried soft cloth and warm water in a small area. Does not work so far...
post #5 of 15 Old 01-03-2012, 11:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Was the previous owner possibly using some type of masking?

Jason
post #6 of 15 Old 01-04-2012, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Was the previous owner possibly using some type of masking?

Jason

I emailed the seller and he said he did use (sometimes) a 2.35:1 aspect ratio projector but there was nothing placed directly over the screen. I pick up the projector from him and he seem a very helpful and honest person. I don't think he saw the marks because he was using an older projector where as i'm using the new Epson 5010 which is very bright so I can see it very clearly.

I will try and post some images in the next day or two ...
post #7 of 15 Old 01-04-2012, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
I got the same thing after shipping the screen over the Atlantic. However it was only the top part that was darker.

I got rid of it by applying LOTS of warm water. Just a little didn't help, but when I applied a really wet cloth so water was literally running down the screen I managed to get it off. Be careful not to apply any pressure when you rub the screen though as this can rub off the reflective layer.
post #8 of 15 Old 01-04-2012, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousmurf View Post

Hello and Happy New Year to Everyone !!!

I just purchased a used 119" electric Dalite HP screen in very good condition (manufactured 3 years ago).

The one issue the screen has is it has a clearly defined approx 8-10 inches band at the top and bottom of the screen that is brighter than the middle section...clearly visible during bright scenes.

It looks like the bands described has something to do with the previous owner using a 2.35:1 projector...

My question is can the Dalite HP screen suffer from some sort of 'burn in'? or is it something to do with general dirt built up on the screen and need a good clean ? or maybe the screen was exposed to sunlight over the years ?

I've email Dalite but hopefully will get a faster response from someone in this forum.

If it is 3 years old it is the 2.8 HP. You can use denatured alcohol on a soft micro fiber cloth with NO water. keep the rag wet and wipe gently. Have your projector on, displaying the white blank screen, this will help you to see see what it clean and what is not. Make sure you have ventilation and DO NOT SMOKE and keep all flames out of the room!!
I have done this to my screen and it worked great, but you will probably have to clean the entire screen so make sure you have several new clean cloths. Depending on how dirty it is, you may find a wet and dry rag use in succession works best.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-04-2012, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

got some photos last night using a point and shoot camera.... I should have find a movie/scene with bright white back ground which would show the lines even more.

Thanks for the feedback. Drexler;airscapes: was the markings on yours as bad as mine ? I look at the screen again last night and it does not look like dirt built up and the screen look very clean.

I will try warm water / denatured alcohol on each corner of the screen and see which method works better and will report back.

[for those looking to purchase the Epson 5010/6010...IGNORE these 'screen shot'. My picture taking skill is very limited. They look much better/sharper in person].

post #10 of 15 Old 01-04-2012, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

If it is 3 years old it is the 2.8 HP. You can use denatured alcohol on a soft micro fiber cloth with NO water. keep the rag wet and wipe gently. Have your projector on, displaying the white blank screen, this will help you to see see what it clean and what is not. Make sure you have ventilation and DO NOT SMOKE and keep all flames out of the room!!
I have done this to my screen and it worked great, but you will probably have to clean the entire screen so make sure you have several new clean cloths. Depending on how dirty it is, you may find a wet and dry rag use in succession works best.

I've used mild dish soap and warm water in cleaning my screen, and I smoke like a chimney. Works great.

Curiousmurf, if you move the projector vertically up or down, do these lines stay in the same place? Just making sure it's a screen issue and not a projector issue.
post #11 of 15 Old 01-04-2012, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post

....Just making sure it's a screen issue and not a projector issue.

It's a new projector and I have tested this theory. Unfortunately it's the screen. I can even see it without turning on the projector.
post #12 of 15 Old 01-05-2012, 12:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Yep, mine looked the same.
post #13 of 15 Old 01-07-2012, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter

Today I used dishwashing liquid and warm water to clean the screen...wiping horizontally. About half the shade of the dark areas comes off.

Very happy with the result as the lines in the screenshots are harder to notice now..but I can still see it. Wish I could totally clean the dark areas.

I don't have denatured alcohol to try but google said it's pretty much the same as methylated spirit which I tried in one corner of the screen but didn't notice any improvement.

Did anyone managed to clean all of the darker areas ? or your results similar to mine ?
post #14 of 15 Old 01-07-2012, 05:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
just because i'm curious... not saying that it can't, i honestly don't know...

how could a screen "burn in" from use with a projector? i can understand how it could fade from exposure to a lot of sunlight, but i'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around burn-in/fading from a pj...

someone want to help get my tiny brain wrapped around this?

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #15 of 15 Old 01-07-2012, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

i got a reply from Dalite and they said their screen do not suffer from burn in. So burn in is not the cause.

I'd still like to find out what's the cause of the dark areas so I can prevent it from happening again...
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page