Which Screen For My New Theater? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 01-20-2012, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What would you put in this theater?

I'm in the final stages of turning an unfinished basement storage room into a raging inferno of auditory and visual ecstasy, or at least a nice place to watch a movie

I'm kinda stumped on which way to go for a screen. Still debating between 16:9 and 2.35:1. Also not sure if I want to go with an AT material like the seymour XT in order to get better speaker placement or a solid screen. My current thought is either a 110" 16:9 or a 120" 2.35:1, but I'm worried that might be too big. Also worried I might see the texture of an AT screen from the front row. I'm willing to spend up to about $600 but if I can get good results with $200 and a little work I'd just as soon do that. Here's what I have so far:

The screen will be mounted on a false wall about 30" in from the front wall.
11'x23' room, almost 8' ceilings, 10" stage, 12" riser for the back row.
Flat Black ceiling, nearly black carpet, side walls are a medium tan.
Dedicated room, no windows, controlled light via cans, sconces, rope light.
Epson 1080UB projector with 500 hours on the bulb (1600 ANSI lumens, 50,000:1 contrast)
Projector is ceiling mounted 14' from screen.
Two rows of seating at 9'6" and about 13'.
Room is intended for 30% movies, 50%HDTV/sports, 20% gaming

What do you suggest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-21-2012, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My finished room dimensions will be close to yours and I went with the 120", 2.35 screen from Seymour AV and love it.

Tom
post #3 of 17 Old 01-21-2012, 06:50 AM

Grandview and Dragonfly are also good choices.
post #4 of 17 Old 01-21-2012, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by z-man99 View Post

What would you put in this theater?

Two rows of seating at 9'6" and about 13'.
Room is intended for 30% movies, 50%HDTV/sports, 20% gaming

What do you suggest?

With just the above info I would stick to a 16:9 screen. 70% of your screen use is 16:9 format material (HDTV/sports & game consoles) etc.

Also, given the width of your room an AT screen would be preferred if wanting a large screen. Can you move your seating back 2 or 3 feet? With a 120 inch screen a first row at 13' and second at 16' would be better. I just have a single row at 12'8" from a 126' 16:9 screen. We like it yet 14 or even 15 would have been optimum IMHO.

I went round and round with your same decision with exception to the AT. It came down to the amount of viewing in the two formats. 16:9 won. I just went with the largest 16:9 that "felt good" with our seating distance etc. That way you get the largest 2.35:1 projection when viewing that format as well. If your PJ is good with black levels the "white bars" shouldn't be an issue. If they are you could always implement a form of masking etc.

Cheers

Love DIY
post #5 of 17 Old 01-21-2012, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

KJ-

I think you are giving very logical advice on the 16:9 choice. I just love the look the cinemascope screen in the room. The bummer with a 2.35:1 is how much screen size you lose when HDTV or games are projected.

The carpet guy is here as I am writing this, so the riser (and seating positions) are pretty much set in stone at this point. So if I do a 110" 16:9 AT screen, given my seating distances, am I going to have problems with seeing screen texture (still leaning towards the Seymour material) or enough lumens?
post #6 of 17 Old 01-21-2012, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

KJ-

I think you are giving very logical advice on the 16:9 choice. I just love the look the cinemascope screen in the room. The bummer with a 2.35:1 is how much screen size you lose when HDTV or games are projected.

The carpet guy is here as I am writing this, so the riser (and seating positions) are pretty much set in stone at this point. So if I do a 110" 16:9 AT screen, given my seating distances, am I going to have problems with seeing screen texture (still leaning towards the Seymour material) or enough lumens?

I am sitting 13' from a 125" 16:9 diagonal Seymour XD screen and you cannot see any texture. Just make sure if you do get a Seymour screen to have them do the max tilt to remove moire.
post #7 of 17 Old 01-22-2012, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:

KJ-

I think your PJ will be fine for a 120 inch screen. Especially a screen with greater than 1.0 gain. The Seymour XD claims 1.2. Seymour also claims you shouldn't see the texture of their XD AT fabric at greater than 8 ft viewing.. Their actual comment is something like: "if sitting at 8 ft or closer you will see the texture.". Your first row at 9+ ft may be OK, I just know sitting at 9 ft from my 126 would be unacceptable unless viewing thee best HD/1080p material. And even then the overall size of picture starts to effect the enjoyment (another IMHO statement of course) :-)

Not knowing your speaker and/or sub arrangement, do you need the false wall 30 inches out? Could you make do with say 12 - 15 inches to gain a foot + or so of viewing distance?

My HT room is actually wider than it is deep. This worked out well for me to use my large powered towers for mains and side surounds yet I went with inwalls for rears given the three ft distance from rear wall to couch. My large center then sits below the scream angling upward directly at head level at seating distance etc. My screen was actually my last purchase / instal. The entire size and format decision actually came down to hanging a sheet on the front wall and experimenting with different size projected images, speaker separation/widths etc. All obviously given a limited, "fixed" viewing distance, kind of where you are at now. That may be a good approach for you as well to help decide on a screen size/format.

Cheers

Love DIY
post #8 of 17 Old 01-26-2012, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses so far. I set up a roll of white seamless photo background paper where the screen will eventually go to try out a few different sizes. By the way, it looks way better than it has any right to look on this bright white paper. In fact, it has a little better gain and slightly better contrast than what my sample piece of Seymour material creates!

After screening a few movies with the family, the wife and kids have spoken in favor of the biggest screen possible. That's going to mean a 120" 16:9 screen. Going that big really jams the speakers into the corners, so AT it is, even if I do lose a little brightness and contrast. I'm not a fan of 120" in the front row but the kids like it there and I'm closer to the equipment rack if I sit in the back anyway! Besides, at 13-14 feet I know I won't see the screen texture.
post #9 of 17 Old 02-28-2012, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Tamas - do you mind posting or sending a pic of your screen wall with the Seymour screen installed? I'm curious how the 120 inch 2.35 looks on a 12foot wall.

McIntosh MX151 Owner's Thread

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz

Audioxtream.com
post #10 of 17 Old 03-06-2012, 03:23 PM

I'd be interested in seeing this too. I am caught in between a 110" or 120" on my wall that is 13' wide. I am leaning toward the 120 myself.
post #11 of 17 Old 03-06-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhightower View Post

I'd be interested in seeing this too. I am caught in between a 110" or 120" on my wall that is 13' wide. I am leaning toward the 120 myself.

Here's a 124 inch with a 12ft wide wall. I went with the 120 inch after seeing this pic. I think this looks great. If you have a 13ft wide wall, I would go 130 inch.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...2&postcount=14

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz

Audioxtream.com
post #12 of 17 Old 03-06-2012, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Here's a 124 inch with a 12ft wide wall. I went with the 120 inch after seeing this pic. I think this looks great. If you have a 13ft wide wall, I would go 130 inch.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...2&postcount=14

How many fl will you have with your projector on that size screen? Assuming a utility gain of 1?
post #13 of 17 Old 03-06-2012, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

How many fl will you have with your projector on that size screen? Assuming a utility gain of 1?

Haven't measured but it's plenty bright. What projector do you have?

Owner, AudioXtream.

Audioxtream.com
post #14 of 17 Old 03-06-2012, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Haven't measured but it's plenty bright. What projector do you have?

I was sort of playing devils advocate. Big screens are nice but if you do not have the light output to support an image at a reasonable brightness or a high gain screen, you will end up needing to replace projector lamps well before their useful end of life to maintain a good image.
The projectorcentral calculator will tell you what fl you can expect with a given projector, screen size and gain.
No one in this thread has mentioned these facts... Big is better but a dim images just sucks.. and spending $300 every 6 or 12 months to maintain the image is even worse.

Rule of thumb is 12fl, some say 8 or 9 is ok, but if you start with 8 or 9 400 hours later you may be at 4 or 5.. just one more thing to consider when buying projector and screen.

Oh, and if calibrate you projector, you light output may be a lot less then the calculator says..
post #15 of 17 Old 03-06-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:

The projectorcentral calculator will tell you what fl you can expect with a given projector, screen size and gain.

Be careful with the calculator, as you will not really know which picture mode and lamp output mode was used in those calculations.........therefore, you do not know how many lumens were used in those calculations. Although, I believe they are using the high spec. output with some lamp degradation built in.

If you plan on using dynamic mode then you will probably be safe, but if you use "best mode" you may be too dim.........hard to say??
post #16 of 17 Old 03-07-2012, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

The point I was making is folks should at least have some clue how the size of the screen effect the image other than size..
post #17 of 17 Old 03-07-2012, 06:41 AM

Quote:

The point I was making is folks should at least have some clue how the size of the screen effect the image other than size..

Agreed! That calculator is good for relative comparisons........screen size, gain and throw distances.

If wanting better absolute numbers then maybe this calculator should be used:

http://http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com/

Here's the thread discussing it:

http://http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1360824&highlight=elite+projector+calculator
Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page