Best 120" screen for Epson 8350? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-26-2012, 02:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm looking for a good quality screen for a light controlled home theater room. Using the above projector. I'd like a 120" screen minimum. I honestly don't know what to buy so any help would be awesome! Fixed screen would be my first choice but a manual or electric is okay if the price is right and the screen is good.

My budget? Lets say up to $500. I want the best bargain I can get and I prefer to buy from Amazon. I can raise the budget a little if need be but I'd hate to spend too much on a screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-26-2012, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Well after a lot of searching I bought this:

Elite Screens R120WH1 ezFrame Fixed Projection Screen (120" 16:9 AR)(CineWhite)

Not sure if it is worth the $516 asking price but it was the best screen I could find on amazon at the size I wanted and with good user reviews. That could also ship out today and deliver tomorrow.

I hope I'm impressed considering I could build one for $100-$120. I would think this will be better than using seamless photography paper for a backdrop though. I hope so anyway.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-26-2012, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There is really no such thing as a "good" 120" screen for under $500. In 3-4 years you will know what I mean as they start to sag and discolor.. Pairing a Good projector with a cheap screen is like putting truck tires on a Ferrari.

If you want to know if a product is "good", please tell us your definition of "bad" for an understood point of reference. Do you want subjective opinions or objective facts?
- FunHouse Media
post #4 of 5 Old 01-26-2012, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked: 972
the 8350 is a $1000 dollar projector. You don't need a $5000 screen for a $1000 projector. I'm sure the Amazon screen will be fine.

You can make a screen easily enough using JoAnn's blackout fabric that costs about $6 a yard. I have a high contrast cinema vision DaLite elite screen that I'm not too happy with. I'm going to try a DIY screen instead using the blackout fabric. It has a max height of 54 inches because that's how tall the roll is, but having bought the material and compared side by side I prefer the blackout screen material over the DaLite HCCV material - so I'm going to give it a shot.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #5 of 5 Old 01-27-2012, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Good luck with that. I was going to build my own screen too using arctic white seamless photo paper but I ultimately decided to just buy one. There are plenty of $130-$300 screens out there and I had hoped that spending around $500 would net me a good screen. You are right though; I don't have a top shelf projector so a top of the line screen doesn't make much sense.

I'm sure I will be happy with the screen. The real question is did I buy the right projector. I'll find out later today.
Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page