Screen Recomendations for a 131" screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-30-2012, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
So I have a 131" image coming from my HD20 1080p projector, and currently I have it just being projected on my living room wall. What I'd like to do is put in an automated screen that retracts and lowers at the push of a button. Anyone have any suggestions on what I should look into? Thanks in advance.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2012, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

http://www.projectorzone.com/Elite-H...en-67x118-HDTV

Anyone have any thoughts on this one?

Old 02-22-2013, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So here I am a year later, and I have yet to pick up a screen for my Projector. For the past two years, I have been projecting onto a neutral yellow wall. So I could really use some recommendations here on what to look for in a screen. I am using a Optima HD20, and it generates a 131" image on the wall. Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

Old 03-26-2013, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So after looking around, I determined that most motorized screens were a bit more than what I wanted to pay to try out. So I looked around a bit more and found a company out of Canada that sells their own brand, and it looks fairly neat.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370678028403?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I got it 20% off of that price, so I am hoping that it will be a decent screen. I mean, it can't be worse than the yellow wall I currently using. smile.gif

Old 03-27-2013, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 335
That is mighty cheap for an electric screen. Let us know what you thinjk after you get it.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Old 03-27-2013, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolisdead View Post

So here I am a year later, and I have yet to pick up a screen for my Projector. For the past two years, I have been projecting onto a neutral yellow wall. So I could really use some recommendations here on what to look for in a screen. I am using a Optima HD20, and it generates a 131" image on the wall. Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

This is the first time I've ever visited the screens threads (I've got a CIH setup and have only ever looked at that side of the forum when I've visited, however I'm looking at going back to a CIW setup which brought me here).

3 things stand out to me in this thread -

1. No one bothered to offer you any advice
2. You still hadn't done anything after a year
3. How do you find the 131" image as that is what I am looking at having, and how far back in meters do you sit from it?

Thanks in advance and hope you're enjoying the screen (finally) smile.gif

Collingwood Magpies 2010 AFL Premiers
Old 03-28-2013, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

That is mighty cheap for an electric screen. Let us know what you think after you get it.

Will do! According to DHL, it should be here today!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4daisy View Post

This is the first time I've ever visited the screens threads (I've got a CIH setup and have only ever looked at that side of the forum when I've visited, however I'm looking at going back to a CIW setup which brought me here).

3 things stand out to me in this thread -

1. No one bothered to offer you any advice
2. You still hadn't done anything after a year
3. How do you find the 131" image as that is what I am looking at having, and how far back in meters do you sit from it?

Thanks in advance and hope you're enjoying the screen (finally) smile.gif

While I am not familiar with the terms CIH and CIW, I can answer your questions on the other.

1. These forums are kind of slow at times, and I don't think that this section gets a lot of activity. Really, without pictures to entice, most folks wouldn't bother posting anything here.

2. I had one hell of a year in 2012, and a lot of other things took priority of getting a screen, especially since all the ones that I had found before were so expensive.

3. Well, I put the Projector(Optoma HD20) on the pass through window between the kitchen and the living room, and that is the size it makes. It was a little difficult to measure this out, but I got it with a little help. Here is a link to a great website that will tell you about what distance the projector needs to be to get a certain screen size.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-HD20-projection-calculator-pro.htm

Old 03-28-2013, 07:55 PM

CIH - constant image height (the image width can vary but the height will always remain the same)

CIW - constant image width (the image height can vary but the width will always remain the same)

Yep I fully understand projector throw ratios, that was not my question though and maybe my wording should have been different. My query was how does the 131" image look/appear to your eyes (good, ordinary, could have gone bigger, etc.) and also how far do you view the image from. For example, do you sit 3 meters from your screen 5 meters from your screen 7 meters from your screen or whatever distance?

Thanks.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It looks amazing from where I am sitting. I don't believe that I could have went much bigger without it getting outrageous. As it is, it almost fills the whole wall. I will measure the distance tomorrow and let you know how many meters it is.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Okay, to answer your question, the distance I sit is a little over 4 meters from the screen.

Now to the screen itself. Its nice. now, this i my first screen that I have ever had, and it looks a lot better than the yellow wall that I was using. Now, I am sure that a lot of you guys have a lot nicer screens, but for me, for now, this works quite well.

First of all, mine arrived with some slight shipping damage. DHL and/or customs abused the crap out of this thing, and the metal casing has some dents. This doesn't affect it too much, but the control box and remote was also damaged. they all still function, but it was still highly annoying.

Setting it up wasn't too difficult. I think that it was meant to be used in a room with dropped ceilings with removable tiles, as the cord running to the box, as well as the power cord coming out of the box, are both on the shorter side. I think this, as its demonstration video showed it in such an environment and it had a clean install look to it with no power cables hanging around. Speaking of the power cables, it comes with a standard three prong plug on it. I am not too sure if that is normal, but it saved me from have to get an electrician to come wire it up. I do have an unsightly white extension cord going up my living room wall, but I can clean that up later. My biggest problem with the installation was that the dimensions said that it was 6.75 inches from the top of the unit to the top of the screen. So I installed it that high above the image on the wall, and it turns out to be too high. Now I have to lower it, and I am debating on drilling new screws or just using the existing ones and putting links on it to lower it. I will probably end up just lowering it with new screws. I was able to install by myself, but I would recommend having someone help you, as it was quite straining at times.

Anything else that you guys want to know?

Old 04-01-2013, 05:59 PM

Thanks.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just before the screen went up.th_d36ad6dda8dfdd5d77454902ef6f671d_zps1e8bda55.jpg

After:

th_ff2268788d0a1ca76d89a44b312e02a8_zps3f75dc3b.jpg

Not the best pics, but it gives you an idea of my setup.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, I ended up lowering it by drilling new screws 6.5" lower than the originals, and now it all works perfectly! I am just so impressed with how well this screen works compared to my wall. I need to post some pics of the screen halfway down for comparison.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK, after having this screen for a little while now. It has started to develop a vertical line through the middle of the screen. It isn't noticable when the projector is on, but it looks weird if the screen is just hanging down wih an image projected on it.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolisdead View Post

OK, after having this screen for a little while now. It has started to develop a vertical line through the middle of the screen. It isn't noticable when the projector is on, but it looks weird if the screen is just hanging down wih an image projected on it.

How much did you pay for it again?

Old 08-23-2013, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think it was around $180 shipped. It wasn't that much, so I am not that disapointed in the screen. I just wished that the line wasn't there.