110-ish inch Screen - Carada or something else? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-13-2012, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm looking to buy a fixed screen for my home theater (using a 1080p JVC D-ILA projector) and I really don't know what I'm looking for. I honestly can't spend TOO much on it. My brother recommended looking into Carada screens and I noticed that a 110" costs $687. Is there any screen out there that's comparable but cheaper? How about Elite screens? I just need some direction - I know nothing about the projection screen market. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-13-2012, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanathin View Post

I'm looking to buy a fixed screen for my home theater (using a 1080p JVC D-ILA projector) and I really don't know what I'm looking for. I honestly can't spend TOO much on it. My brother recommended looking into Carada screens and I noticed that a 110" costs $687. Is there any screen out there that's comparable but cheaper? How about Elite screens? I just need some direction - I know nothing about the projection screen market. Thanks!

For that price, I think Carada will be very good. If you want to get a cheaper screen, I think you should go with a Visual Apex screen. I have had a visual apex and elite and I think visual apex are better quality and cost about the same. It should be half the price of the Carada. If you can work it in, I say get a Carada Brilliant White
post #3 of 7 Old 02-18-2012, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Thanks for the input! It's a tough decision to make since I'm on a budget. My brother has a Carada and it looks fantastic with his JVC projector, but I don't know if I can swing it... Will there really be any noticeable loss of quality with a Visual Apex screen? What makes them better than Elite screens? And does brilliant white really make that big of a difference?
post #4 of 7 Old 02-18-2012, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 42
well, as a reference, I compared screen samples of the BW carada and the cinewhite of the Elite. NO COMPARISON....the brilliant white smokes the cinewhite that Elite has to offer. The elite seemed to be considerably dimmer with a blue push. The Carada seems to maintain and enhance brightness with little to no color shift. Also, the carada is a non-coated pvc material, so the viewing angle is very wide=very good.....

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #5 of 7 Old 02-18-2012, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanathin View Post

Thanks for the input! It's a tough decision to make since I'm on a budget. My brother has a Carada and it looks fantastic with his JVC projector, but I don't know if I can swing it... Will there really be any noticeable loss of quality with a Visual Apex screen? What makes them better than Elite screens? And does brilliant white really make that big of a difference?

I liked the Visual Apex screen better and it was cheaper. But if you can get an Elite screen for cheaper, you will be satisfied with it. Also, you should look at Jamestown screens, I hear they are affordable too
post #6 of 7 Old 02-18-2012, 08:32 PM

Liked: 13
Deleted.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-19-2012, 11:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 407
You have a few choices. Give us a call for recommendations.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page