screen size vs quality - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-15-2012, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
About 8-10 years ago I bought a PlusPiano projector and a Stewart fixed screen. I was such a novice, I just bought what the dealer suggested, not sure what type of Stewart screen, but suspect a studiotek. It cost $1000 back then, whatever it was, and was 92" 16:9.
Fast forward 10 years, my newest projecter has the output to support a bigger screen. I'd like to buy a 120" screen, but don't want to pay what it would cost to purchase a Stewart screen this size. Been looking at some semi-diy screens in the 300 range.
My concern is that I may have taken for granted the picture quality my original screen provides, and if I buy a cheaper brand screen, even though it's 120", I'll discover the tradeoff in PQ is not worth the increase in size.
So my question is, is the Stewart screen really that big of a deal concerning pq, and is it possible that many cheaper screens will provide almost the same image? If there is a drastic difference, I'll continue to use my 92" screen. Thanks for your advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-15-2012, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpoe View Post

About 8-10 years ago I bought a PlusPiano projector and a Stewart fixed screen. I was such a novice, I just bought what the dealer suggested, not sure what type of Stewart screen, but suspect a studiotek. It cost $1000 back then, whatever it was, and was 92" 16:9.
Fast forward 10 years, my newest projecter has the output to support a bigger screen. I'd like to buy a 120" screen, but don't want to pay what it would cost to purchase a Stewart screen this size. Been looking at some semi-diy screens in the 300 range.
My concern is that I may have taken for granted the picture quality my original screen provides, and if I buy a cheaper brand screen, even though it's 120", I'll discover the tradeoff in PQ is not worth the increase in size.
So my question is, is the Stewart screen really that big of a deal concerning pq, and is it possible that many cheaper screens will provide almost the same image? If there is a drastic difference, I'll continue to use my 92" screen. Thanks for your advice.

There will not be a drastic difference in image quality between reputable screen brands if you are comparing white screens of similar gain and size.

What Plus projector do you have and how far back from the screen do you sit?
post #3 of 8 Old 02-15-2012, 10:24 AM

I have similar issue. Kids told me it's time to supersize theater room screen, dedicated with light control. Currently 106" Da-Lite High Contrast Cinema Vision with Panasonic Pt-ae2000. Looks great. Thinking 133" and same projector until I decide to upgrade. Looking at needing more gain but not "too much"??? Was thinking going to Da-Lite Cinema Vision with claimed gain of around 1.3, at cost of around $1650. Any more help on how to make this expensive upgrade choice when I can't preview other company's screens?
post #4 of 8 Old 02-15-2012, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

davecraze, the PlusPiano projector is gone (480P but was great for a time, cost 3200, which makes me a little sick in today's world, but we all can tell that story), I now have an epson 8350, which I love. I sit about 10 feet from the screen, but have plenty of room to scoot back if needed.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-15-2012, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtoo View Post

I have similar issue. Kids told me it's time to supersize theater room screen, dedicated with light control. Currently 106" Da-Lite High Contrast Cinema Vision with Panasonic Pt-ae2000. Looks great. Thinking 133" and same projector until I decide to upgrade. Looking at needing more gain but not "too much"??? Was thinking going to Da-Lite Cinema Vision with claimed gain of around 1.3, at cost of around $1650. Any more help on how to make this expensive upgrade choice when I can't preview other company's screens?

http://accucalhd.com/documents/accuc...een_report.pdf

Cinema Vision was only measured at 1.04 in this test of screen materials.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-15-2012, 05:56 PM

I saw this report before. I would really love to cut through the endless data and get some honest opinions about how to buy a screen now to enlarge my viewing that will prevent loss of brightness and contrast for now at larger size and be appropriate for later use with new projectors.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-15-2012, 07:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Your kind of stuck gain = artifacts. But with that size unless you buy a $20k, 10,000 lumen projector you will not be bright enough on matt white and it does not have the best contrast anyhow. As projectors get brighter and screens get bigger the trick is to get a match that works well together. If your projector drastically changes you may find your screen is not the best match. Anyhow matt white 4k material is a safe bet or a gray matt material. The cinema vision HC is a nice screen for the price probably the best one I know. The Black Diamond is something special, 1.4 gain and terrific blacks with light rejection. With the need for gain screens and 3d this is probably the most future proof. But all depends what you are looking for and they all have the pluses and minuses.
One day we will have a 2:35 4k projector with 15k lumens and all the issues will be solved but until then the screen is as important as the projector. I have seen a couple good homemade screens but they are one out of about 70 that I see most are ok at best and forget making any good amount of gain in a homemade screen it never works. After trying to build a few I will never do it again especially with 4k coming up I can't get the finish perfect enough.

Jason
Note: Any posts are of my personal opinions and not to reflect upon any business.

Jason@programmergeek.com

908 578-6466

post #8 of 8 Old 02-16-2012, 08:11 AM

Thanks for the input. Can I get samples of material from Screen Innovations? Also, their website says the following:

Black Diamond 4K 1.4 Projection Screen Material....
Maximum Seamless Size

2.40:1 - 142″ diagonal
16:9 -113″ diagonal
4:3 - 93″ diagonal

Am I limited in 16:9 to 113" then for the kind of screen you recommend? Mix of gaming, tv and movies, so not sure if I would want to stretch screen to widescreen formats...
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page