Help with electric screen decision - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-19-2012, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Long time lurker, finally getting a new construction setup. Please help with decisions on a screen.

Going with panny 7000, in semi light controlled environment. Projector at approx 18', shelf mounted, viewing at approx 14-15ft. going with an electric rollup with plasma behind. Dont need AT. Used primarily for TV and movies. Used by kids too, so need to be able to use with lights on in room (dimmed). Want approx 115" screen. Budget $2500? Couple of questions.

Do I need tab tensioned? Not a fan of hour glass figure, but want long term quality with no waves.

Pro is suggesting Vutec, lectric I with reverse roll, 1.3 vuflex pro material.

Should I be looking at something like Stewart G3 and pay the extra for it? Or Seymour XD in case I need to switch to AT later?

Any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-19-2012, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Also, looking at Screen innovations reference G3. Concerned about lunar material being only .8 gain, but screen is grey, any ideas?

Thanks
post #3 of 4 Old 02-19-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by rastamonsta View Post

Also, looking at Screen innovations reference G3. Concerned about lunar material being only .8 gain, but screen is grey, any ideas?

Thanks

A gray screen is fine, but it really should have some gain too.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #4 of 4 Old 02-20-2012, 03:55 PM

I am partial to Draper and Da-Lite screens because that's what I sell online myself. Given that, here is a suggestion for you:

Da-Lite Tensioned Cosmopolitan Electrol. For a 120" diagonal they will start at about $1,600 and $2,200 depending on what fabric you go with. I would recommend one with High Contrast Da-Mat or Cinema Vision. Below is a description of the fabrics:

Quote:

High Contrast Da-Mat - With a special gray surface, this screen material is designed for use with today's high output LCD, DLP and D-ILA projectors. By lowering the black levels of the projected video image, this surface creates a more film-like image and is a good choice when video is the main source of projected information. This screen surface is best used when there is good control of ambient lighting and a moderately wide viewing angle is desired. Screen surface can be cleaned with mild soap and water. Flame retardant and mildew resistant. Viewing Angle: 45° Gain: 0.8

Quote:

Cinema Vision - A unique fabric that offers a bright, uniform image with no color shift at any viewing angle. This surface is designed to provide a higher amount of brightness for lower out put projector types. Its increased reflectivity will help enhance the image brightness in situations where a low level of ambient light is present. This surface is a good choice when producing video images. Screen surface can be cleaned with mild soap and water. Flame retardant and mildew resistant. Viewing Angle: 45° Gain: 1.3

Hope this helps a little!
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page