Need some resale advice... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-04-2012, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have a DaLite 16:9 Cinema Contour 106" Gray 0.6 gain JKP Affinity HD Progressive screen for sale. (I have already listed it in the classifieds and it didn't sell... not even an inquiry)

It is about a year and a half old. Never been touched. Pristine.

What should I be pricing this at to move it?

I already have my new screen, and don't want this one hanging around anymore, but I also don't want to take a bath on it either.

Retail MSRP is $2,200. I'm sure people can get deals out there through whatever distributor they go through.

I listed it on craigslist, and received a few inquiries... currently listed on the 'bay, and moderate traffic, but no bids yet.

Any other places to consider to get this thing moved?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-04-2012, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDUpstate View Post

I have a DaLite 16:9 Cinema Contour 106" Gray 0.6 gain JKP Affinity HD Progressive screen for sale. (I have already listed it in the classifieds and it didn't sell... not even an inquiry)

It is about a year and a half old. Never been touched. Pristine.

What should I be pricing this at to move it?

I already have my new screen, and don't want this one hanging around anymore, but I also don't want to take a bath on it either.

Retail MSRP is $2,200. I'm sure people can get deals out there through whatever distributor they go through.

I listed it on craigslist, and received a few inquiries... currently listed on the 'bay, and moderate traffic, but no bids yet.

Any other places to consider to get this thing moved?

Thanks!

AVS classified and Videogon.com
post #3 of 11 Old 03-04-2012, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I did list it on the AVS forum classifieds. Didn't sell. Not even any inquiries.

Haven't listed it on Videogon yet.

I'm thinking that screens don't hold their value that much, which is surprising, as the technology doesn't change very frequently.

I'm looking for what price it should be listed for so that I can move it.

The dealer I bought it from said that I should be able to move it pretty quickly with a starting price of $1,500, so that's what I've been listing it at... but no traffic.

It's currently on eBay for an $800 starting bid and a buy it now for $1,500. I have quite a few watchers, but no bids yet. I'm also throwing in the original Da Matte screen material for free.

For something that doesn't change that much, and had a MSRP of $2,200 just 1.5 years ago, do I really need to price this thing at less than 30% to get it to move??

Thanks for any input.
post #4 of 11 Old 03-04-2012, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
As a buyer of a used screen and a buyer and seller of many used items I'd offer the following advice. I think the biggest issue with screens though they don't age very fast (i.e., the tech is pretty mature) is that you need to find somebody who wants that size, aspect ratio, and screen material and if you are not willing to ship (I did not look for your ad) they need to be located near enough to pick up. Thus you are going after a very small set of folks.

As for venue in the past I have had better luck with Ebay (even for local pickup only) and Craiglist over Videogon. I have never used the forums here so I cannot comment. Also on Ebay you might not get any bids until the last few hours or minutes. Most folks, myself included tend to snipe our bids.

When I was looking for a used Stewart screen my observation was that screen priced more than 1/4 of retail basically didn't move. The further below that you moved the faster they sold. I paid about 1/4 retail for my screen because it was pretty much the exact size, aspect ratio and screen material I was looking for and was located fairly close (two hours away)--which allowed me to inspect first and avoid shipping damage. The seller had it listed on CL for several weeks and I only contacted him after he hit 25% of retail (as near as I could tell I was the only one who expressed interest). I don't know if a Dalite screen would hold its value more or less than a Stewart but I'd say if you want more than 1/4 retail you might be able to do it but it will probably take some time to move the screen so if you are in a hurry lower the price.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-04-2012, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ideal response. Thanks!
post #6 of 11 Old 03-10-2012, 01:25 PM

Liked: 11
I think it boils down to finding the right buyer, which may be tough for such a specialized item. I sold my Monoprice 133" Grey Screen for $500 on Craigslist, which was about what I paid for it new, less shipping. It took about 3wks to sell. After talking to the guy, the key for him was the size and after seeing it mounted with picture, the quality. For the price, he figured what the heck. Key thing was, it was exactly what HE wanted.

The screen you are selling is more high-end than mine, however if one is going to pay $1K or more for a screen, then new ones start to look alot more apealing. Its a tough deal, because a newbie probably wont spend more than $3-500 for a screen unless they can see it in person and even then it may seem like alot of money for a screen. Someone experienced probably figures, they can get a brand new one for a bit more than what your screen is truly worth. Hard to find just that right person that is in the middle, especially if that person is local. Casting a wider net might get you more intrest, but shipping will likely scare them off. Large 4 piece screens typically ship by freight and can cost more than $130 to ship (at least my monoprice screen did)...thus making the screen seem more expensive.

Bottom line...establish a price you can live with and keep it advertised until it sells. The right person will come along.

Theatre: Epson 6010, Carada BW CS 142", Yamaha RX-A3020, Amp: Emotiva XPA-5, Fr/Rr/Ctr: SVS Ultras, Pres: Def Tech: SM450/SM350, Rr Srd: Def Tech: SR-8040BP, Subs: Dual PB2000, Dual PB1000
BDR: Epson 3010, Vis Apex 135", Denon 4520, Fr/Rr/Ctr/Pres/WideInfinity RS-10/RS-5/CC3/RS-3(4), Subs: Dual PB2000
post #7 of 11 Old 03-10-2012, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 890
The problem with expensive screens as I see it is the casual diy'er can create a 102 inch black out cloth screen for less than $100 and it'll look fantastic. So you lose 1/2 or 1/3 of your market straight away because someone who is really curious about making the visuals better realizes they can cheaply and easily do it themselves and not have to spend that much money. I like my joanns BOC DIY screen better than my 1000$ dalite hccv screen I bought on craigslist for $250 or so. I relisted the dalite hccv screen back on craigslist after a year of use at a bit less than 1/4 normal price and it sold very fast and had multiple inquires.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #8 of 11 Old 03-11-2012, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for all the replies... makes sense.

I tried eBay, and lowered the starting price midway through. I tried CL, but had what I thought would be a good price, and actually had a few inquiries, but no bites...

It's a great screen, and truly has no blemishes. Its never been touched.

I think I'll relist it on CL, and then if it doesn't sell, I'll give it to a friend of mine who is just getting started in PJ/HT. I'd rather he really enjoy it, than take a complete bath on it with a stranger.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-11-2012, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDUpstate View Post

Thanks for all the replies... makes sense.

I tried eBay, and lowered the starting price midway through. I tried CL, but had what I thought would be a good price, and actually had a few inquiries, but no bites...

It's a great screen, and truly has no blemishes. Its never been touched.

I think I'll relist it on CL, and then if it doesn't sell, I'll give it to a friend of mine who is just getting started in PJ/HT. I'd rather he really enjoy it, than take a complete bath on it with a stranger.

Craig's list can take months, if it is free it goes in seconds, if it is $10 it takes weeks. There are more people selling/scamming than buying, at least in my area, being the listing is free, you get all kinds of crap listed over and over..
The idea of giving it to a friend seem like a great idea. You will at least get to keep enjoying it when you go to visit! Not to mention all the big block of favors he will owe you!
post #10 of 11 Old 03-19-2012, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
A couple of further thoughts. On Ebay if you dropped the price halfway through the listing you may have missed a number of buyers. I have auto searches setup for stuff I am interested in. They fire only on new items so if the price is higher than I am interested in, most likely I won't both to put it in my watch list and I'll never see the newer, lower price. Two on Craiglist if you are located 2-3 hours from other large metro areas you might want to try advertising there. The screen I bought used came from a city 90 miles away (some folks like me are willing to drive for a bargain). CLs officially frowns on this so either you will need to stagger your ads or make them different enough that it does not get flagged as a similar simultaneous listing in a different metro area. Finally consider donating it if all else fails. I tried that, for my Carada 4:3 screen, and it did not work out for me (the two charities flaked out in the end). I put it on CL and said free to any (insert tax code number for charities you can get a deduction) non-profits who will provide me a receipt. If you have a fairly high marginal rate like I do it is not the worst outcome if all else fails.
post #11 of 11 Old 03-19-2012, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the replies...

It sold last night on the 'bay.
Reply Screens