High contrast High power problems - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 03-15-2012, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ordered a custom 113" high power high contrast 2.35:1 screen. Was super excited to get it, having owned a high power 2.8 screen for a long time. Only one problem. Its splotchy! I dont know if its just a part of the fabric but this is what i've concluded from it so far..

Its only really noticeable on white images
It appears like the screen is dirty
As soon as you move off axis out of the viewing cone its not visible.

Does anyone else have this problem? It can be pretty distracting when watching movies when a white image moves across the screen and highlights ALL of the flaws on the screen...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-16-2012, 03:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by counterbond View Post

I ordered a custom 113" high power high contrast 2.35:1 screen. Was super excited to get it, having owned a high power 2.8 screen for a long time. Only one problem. Its splotchy! I dont know if its just a part of the fabric but this is what i've concluded from it so far..

Its only really noticeable on white images
It appears like the screen is dirty
As soon as you move off axis out of the viewing cone its not visible.

Does anyone else have this problem? It can be pretty distracting when watching movies when a white image moves across the screen and highlights ALL of the flaws on the screen...

There have been several posts about black lines going horizontally across the screen with the Standard 2.4 HP. Several have corrected the problem buy washing the screen. Start buy putting a complaint in with Dalite, then search this forum for the posts I am talking about, their authors may even post a link if they see this.
Sorry you are having problems, in my opinion, the new fabric (2.4) is nowhere near as good as the old 2.8.
When you get the issue resolved, and you have had time really use the screen, please come back and post a comparison review between you old 2.8 and the new HPHC.
Thanks!
post #3 of 17 Old 03-16-2012, 07:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Yes, I have heard of this issue before on one other customers screen.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #4 of 17 Old 03-16-2012, 07:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
yea, that would be me (i think, anyway)...

fortunately, mike pressed them to replace it for me...

the new one is "better", albeit not "perfect" (my original one was pretty bad, this replacement still has it, but not nearly as bad)... having read a bunch about this screen, it seems to be inherent in the design/manufacturing (with some definitely being better than others), and i've decided to live with it, as the other positives outweigh it...

ymmv... regardless of screen, there's always likely to be some compromises... as much as i loved the black diamond screen this one replaced, it had it's drawbacks as well...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #5 of 17 Old 03-16-2012, 08:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

yea, that would be me (i think, anyway)...

fortunately, mike pressed them to replace it for me...

the new one is "better", albeit not "perfect" (my original one was pretty bad, this replacement still has it, but not nearly as bad)... having read a bunch about this screen, it seems to be inherent in the design/manufacturing (with some definitely being better than others), and i've decided to live with it, as the other positives outweigh it...

ymmv... regardless of screen, there's always likely to be some compromises... as much as i loved the black diamond screen this one replaced, it had it's drawbacks as well...

I was not going to mention names.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #6 of 17 Old 03-16-2012, 08:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

lol... you've always treated me well, you can use me...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #7 of 17 Old 03-17-2012, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

ya no kidding, the black diamond im not a huge fan of, as it seems to have some hot spotting pretty bad. for $3000 dollar screen it should make a reel to reel projector look like a 100" 4k OLED tv lol...

I feel bad being so picky cuz this was a custom cut screen, but maybe they'll analyze the **** out the next fabric the cut so they dont have to do it again lol
post #8 of 17 Old 03-17-2012, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

why the hell couldnt they just keep the old formula and match it with a grey base? the 2.8 is sooooooo nice.
post #9 of 17 Old 03-18-2012, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:

why the hell couldnt they just keep the old formula and match it with a grey base? the 2.8 is sooooooo nice.

It's all about the MONEY!!
post #10 of 17 Old 03-20-2012, 10:50 AM

Liked: 11
I have the same problem. I initially bought the HCHP 2.4 screen. It was blotchy, sent it back and the replacement had the same defects. I then sent it back and went with a regular 2.4 (non HP) and it too has the same problem, however it is no where near as noticeable as the HCHP screens. I think it is an issue of the optical coating not being applied evenly. The darker areas might be where not as much light is reflected back. I'm sticking with this screen though. I'm going to try and wash it today and see if that helps any. Even with the defects it is hard to find a comparable screen if you want to go big.
post #11 of 17 Old 03-20-2012, 10:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

ya no kidding, the black diamond im not a huge fan of, as it seems to have some hot spotting pretty bad. for $3000 dollar screen it should make a reel to reel projector look like a 100" 4k OLED tv lol...

I feel bad being so picky cuz this was a custom cut screen, but maybe they'll analyze the **** out the next fabric the cut so they dont have to do it again lol

actually, i'd still have my bd if it had played nice with my 3d pj...

as noted, it does have some drawbacks, but the positives are very good as well...

- chris

post #12 of 17 Old 03-20-2012, 01:15 PM

Liked: 18
I had the same problems on my 2.4 HP screen. My first screen had a "bubble" of sorts where it wasn't properly tensioned due to the snaps being off, second had darker horizontal lines, and my third has a small (1" square) dark spot near the center.

While my current screen isn't perfect, it's leaps and bounds the best of the 3.

Mike @ AVS was extremely helpful in getting things resolved. DaLite was willing to swap out the screens.
post #13 of 17 Old 03-30-2012, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNate View Post

I had the same problems on my 2.4 HP screen. My first screen had a "bubble" of sorts where it wasn't properly tensioned due to the snaps being off, second had darker horizontal lines, and my third has a small (1" square) dark spot near the center.

While my current screen isn't perfect, it's leaps and bounds the best of the 3.

Mike @ AVS was extremely helpful in getting things resolved. DaLite was willing to swap out the screens.

As they damnwell should be...your money didn't turn out to by slightly defective (worth only 90 cents on the dollar), you guys should keep making them replace them until they're perfect. If they changed manufacturing plants to save money and their products are now inferior, it should cost them to replace it 20 times, if they spend up all the money they saved with this new process by replace defective products, maybe then they'll go back to making the same high end products they used to make.
post #14 of 17 Old 06-28-2012, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thanks to all for posting this information as the HCHP was going to be my next screen soon. I'll contact Da-lite to see if the problem has been resolved or what...
post #15 of 17 Old 07-26-2012, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
I'm thinking of getting the HCHP screen... has this issue been resolved at all?
post #16 of 17 Old 08-18-2012, 12:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 22
Bump...
post #17 of 17 Old 09-20-2012, 11:49 AM

Liked: 11
I had the HCHP, 2 to be exact, last year that had the darker stripes problem. Ended up going with a regular 2.4 HP and it still had the problem, yet not as bad as the HCHP. I held off on replacing it again until a couple of weeks ago hoping that Da-lite fixed the issues since it had been around 10 months. I am happy to say the new HP screen Da-lite just sent me has no dark lines, spots, etc. It looks great and I am 100% satisfied. So there might be a chance that the HCHP problem was fixed as well.
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page