Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-21-2012, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have a 16:9 120" wide screen, that is 2" from each wall.

My front wall is 131"

My first row of real seating is at 12ft or so, with a back row on a 7" riser at about 18ft.

No problems whatsoever.

Depending on how much of a "purist" you are when it comes to Scope being larger than 16:9, you should make your decision from there.

For me, I don't care that Scope is "smaller" than 16:9 in total area. With the largest 16:9 screen, I am getting the largest Scope image, AND the largest 16:9 image.

You can see my screen wall in my thread...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1319933

Good Luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old 03-21-2012, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
That is great info. Sounds like we have a similar set up. I really wanted the 16:9 but was worried about my risor only being 8"... Your second row doesn't have any problems seeing the full screen? Same seeting in both rows?... I am going to spend some time stalking your build thread.

Thanks,
Pat
post #4 of 17 Old 03-21-2012, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Also depends on high high you mount the screen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
| Xbox Live: Atomic Hamper
post #5 of 17 Old 03-21-2012, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Also depends on high high you mount the screen

+1

I spent a fair amount of time shooting the image the same size as the screen, before the screen arrived to determine what the appropriate height would be to mount it... and also take into account the frame so I could rebuild the fabric frames.

I first started with the top edge, to determine what was comfortable from MY seat for the upper eye movement... that's what's most important. From there, I double checked the lower edge height off the ground and the clearance for the rear seats, (and the first row, since I have a low couch in the very front) Couch is only severe overflow, or for when I go down to listen to music or take a nap, and it's only like 30 inches high.

I don't have my projects notebook here, but I *think* the bottom edge of the screen was at about 19.5" or that was the edge of the frame... can't remember. Seating distance for back row was about 18' and backs of front row is ~12.5'

post #6 of 17 Old 03-21-2012, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Wow... just went through your theater thread and that is exactly what I want to do with my room! Love the clean look and it talked me out of the pain of building a stage. My front row is about 2' closer than yours so I am now thinking 110" or even 100" Seymour AT. My plan is to go with the panasonic AE7000 too, so I may end up asking you about throw distance later but for now, that was very enlightening...

Again, super clean look, love your theater.
post #7 of 17 Old 03-21-2012, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

... or maybe the 120" 2.35... decisions, decisions.
post #8 of 17 Old 03-21-2012, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Trust me... go with the biggest you can. I'll add more tomorrow, but the room came with the 106" and I loved it ... until I got the itch to upgrade... and now I can't believe I ever had less than the 138" diagonal. You'll always wonder what if... now, I can't physically go any bigger without building a bigger space.

post #9 of 17 Old 03-21-2012, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by addupstate View Post

trust me... Go with the biggest you can. I'll add more tomorrow, but the room came with the 106" and i loved it ... Until i got the itch to upgrade... And now i can't believe i ever had less than the 138" diagonal. You'll always wonder what if... Now, i can't physically go any bigger without building a bigger space.

+1

The "Twinseltown" Theater

post #10 of 17 Old 03-21-2012, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Actually, you may need to get the smaller screen first, just to fulfill some cosmic destiny... you won't appreciate the huge screen as much without first paying your dues on a smaller screen first. If you start with the big screen you'll have nowhere to upgrade without renting a backhoe! We all love to upgrade!

post #11 of 17 Old 03-21-2012, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I want as big as I can go, but my false wall leaves just 10.5' to the back of the first row. Now I am leaning toward the 120 2.35. That way, my 16:9 content is about 104" diag (90"w), but I can open it up to 120" for scope. Stil processing though...
post #12 of 17 Old 03-22-2012, 06:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Sexton View Post

Yeah, I want as big as I can go, but my false wall leaves just 10.5' to the back of the first row. Now I am leaning toward the 120 2.35. That way, my 16:9 content is about 104" diag (90"w), but I can open it up to 120" for scope. Stil processing though...

That size and distance sounds about right to me. I am viewing a 106" diagonal 1.78 screen from 10'.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #13 of 17 Old 03-24-2012, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDUpstate View Post

Trust me... go with the biggest you can. I'll add more tomorrow, but the room came with the 106" and I loved it ... until I got the itch to upgrade... and now I can't believe I ever had less than the 138" diagonal. You'll always wonder what if... now, I can't physically go any bigger without building a bigger space.

I was back and forth on 16:9 or 2.35 but decided (using the same logic you did) to go with 16:9. I decided 110w is as big as I can go (might even be too much, but you only live once) for my viewing distance. Was going to go with the center stage xd but noticed you went with the 4k. I heard the CSXD was brighter but the weave could be noticable (sky scenes, hockey, etc). Does Seymour make the 4k (I dont see it on their site) and which would be better for 3d? Also, how far are you projecting to that enormous screen? Sorry to hit you with so many questions but I love your set-up.

Thanks,
Pat
post #14 of 17 Old 03-24-2012, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

No problem... I'll post or pm you in the am. What are the specs/distances of your room again?

post #15 of 17 Old 03-24-2012, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDUpstate View Post

No problem... I'll post or pm you in the am. What are the specs/distances of your room again?

Right now it is 11'5" x 20", with an 8" riser at 13 feet. With the 2' false wall, I think my viewing distance will be about 10.5' to the first row, and around 14.5' to the second. Back wall to new screen wall will be 18'. Thanks for the help.
post #16 of 17 Old 03-24-2012, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member

And projector is going to be at the back wall?

I guess, technically it is the "am" now, but I thought of something I had to get notes down on for myself, so I got up to do that and... well you know the rest... here I am.

Here's my advice... screen size sounds good to me. It's about in the middle of where I was and where I am.
I went with the 4k, because well, it shook out to be the best in a lot of people's opinion, and screen technology doesn't change that quickly, if at all, over time. So I decided to get the biggest, best technology, no holds barred, AT screen I could find and do it once and be done with it. No complaints at all.

The 4k material is specifically called "Enlightor 4K" by Seymour Screen Excellence, or EN4K for short. It is a joint venture that Seymour AV is involved in. The website is www.s-se.us

I had the 4k material up with my old AE4000U from Super Bowl until a week ago, and had no problem lighting it up. I just got the AE7000U a week or so ago, and it will almost burn your retinas in Eco mode, and my throw distance is ~18 ft on a larger screen, so similar to yours... don't worry about that. My Room length is ~22', less 2' for screen wall, less 1' for depth of projector... 18' throw.

I don't think there would be a difference for 3D between the two. The XD could have a problem as you mentioned with noticeable weave, or loss of perceived resolution at closer distances or the upcoming 4k projectors. Chris Seymour posted a while a link to an article about projecting 1080p source material by a 1080p projector and by a 4k projector and it was pretty interesting. So even if it takes a while to get a decent amount of 4k source material, you can still see a significant difference using 1080p material through a 4k projector. So I wanted to get as future proof as I could with the screen purchase I hope to keep for a good long time.

The SSE EN4K screen and frame are all fantastic. Heavy duty, not going to warp or bend, extruded aluminum wrapped in black velvet. Really a classy product.

One note... if you are thinking of doing masking for Scope images, mention that when you order everything. They are magnetic masking panels, and metal bars need to be built into the frame during production for the magnets to work.

Hope that helps.

post #17 of 17 Old 03-24-2012, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for taking the time to respond... that is exactly the info I was looking for!
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page