Thoughts on screen for bright room? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-23-2012, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a bright living room, since none of the windows in the house have any blinds. So I'm getting the Panasonic PT-AR100 projector because it has a more powerful 2,800 lumen bulb. The projector will be hung from the ceiling approx 15-17 feet away, and seating position is 12-15 feet away. We will be watching TV mostly at night when the room is dark, but we still want to be able to use it sometimes with a decent appearance during the day. I like the idea of a wide viewing angle because of the room layout and being able to peek at the screen from the neighboring room.

I have no idea which electric screens to consider that would perform decent in a bright room during the day with this high power projector. What is the largest size I should consider at that viewing distance? 120" or 150"? Material? White or gray? I'd like the frame to be white in color to blend in with the interior decor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

If you want to watch during the day, you're going to need to do something about the windows. You could install roller shades; get the thickest opaque variety. It's been awhile, but I think I spent around $30 a window. We've since installed nice window treatments that look better and block the light more effectively (they have a reflective inner layer), but those black-out roller shades did pretty well.

A screen that copes with ambient light would be a good idea; DNP Supernova, Screen Innovations Black Diamond, and Stewart Firehawk seem to be the best in breed, but there may be other less expensive options out there that folks here can suggest.

My projector is supposedly a 2500 lumens machine (SIM2 C3X-E), and it's done pretty well on a 100" Dalite High Contrast Cinema Vision. But I'd still like better perfomance during the day, so I'm looking at DNP and SI in particular. If you do much daytime viewing I think 120" might be pushing it. Keep in mind that if you get your projector calibrated for best gamma and color perfomance, you're likely to get significantly lower than 2800 lumen output, and in any event as the bulb ages you'll lose brightness.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I may be selling my 142" 2.35.1 Black Diamond 1.4 gain screen that is excellent for ambient light if I can get a good deal on a 184" AT Screen.

Anthem Statement D2v3D, Paradigm Sub 2, Paradigm S8s with C5, Anthem Statement M1 Amps, 174" AT Scope Screen, Epson 6010 3D Projector
Old 03-23-2012, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have a 106" Dalite High Power in my non light controlled living room. Obviously it is better at night but can be used during the day.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by studlygoorite View Post

I may be selling my 142" 2.35.1 Black Diamond 1.4 gain screen that is excellent for ambient light if I can get a good deal on a 184" AT Screen.

List the old screen here on AVS and if we can help you with selection of the new screen give us a call.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Old 03-23-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Binegar View Post

If you want to watch during the day, you're going to need to do something about the windows. You could install roller shades; get the thickest opaque variety. It's been awhile, but I think I spent around $30 a window. We've since installed nice window treatments that look better and block the light more effectively (they have a reflective inner layer), but those black-out roller shades did pretty well.

A screen that copes with ambient light would be a good idea; DNP Supernova, Screen Innovations Black Diamond, and Stewart Firehawk seem to be the best in breed, but there may be other less expensive options out there that folks here can suggest.

My projector is supposedly a 2500 lumens machine (SIM2 C3X-E), and it's done pretty well on a 100" Dalite High Contrast Cinema Vision. But I'd still like better perfomance during the day, so I'm looking at DNP and SI in particular. If you do much daytime viewing I think 120" might be pushing it. Keep in mind that if you get your projector calibrated for best gamma and color perfomance, you're likely get have significantly lower than 2800 lumen output, and in any event as the bulb ages you'll lose brightness.

Agree with your post. Best to do as much as you can to temper some of the ambient light.

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Old 03-23-2012, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Do these brightly-lit environment screens such as the DNP Supernova compromise the image when the room is dark? So at night would the screen then appear too bright?
Old 03-23-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Not that I could tell. In fact, one of the nice things about screens like the Supernova is that they practically eliminate the bounceback of light from the walls and ceiling created by the projected image. I've got a white ceiling that reallly lights up during lights-out viewing, just from the image coming off the screen. That light reflects back onto the screen as well as to the viewing position.

As far as brightness is concerned, that's a function of the gain you choose (and how big your screen is). The .8 gain Supernova or Black Diamond won't be too bright in the dark, but will still handle the ambient light in the day. (Then the quetion is: does the .8 give a bright enough picture for your daytime viewing) I don't think BD's 1.4 would be too bright for the darkened room either. I haven't seen the higher gain samples yet.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 29
SilverStar is great for ambient light situations, but it is rigid. You could hide it behind a retractable ArtScreen such that it looks like a big painting or mural when not in use.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

List the old screen here on AVS and if we can help you with selection of the new screen give us a call.

I am waiting for quotes from SmX and SeymourAV, you wouldn't have any comments on these would you? Or know of any others?

John

Anthem Statement D2v3D, Paradigm Sub 2, Paradigm S8s with C5, Anthem Statement M1 Amps, 174" AT Scope Screen, Epson 6010 3D Projector
Old 03-23-2012, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDBear View Post

I have a bright living room, since none of the windows in the house have any blinds. So I'm getting the Panasonic PT-AR100 projector because it has a more powerful 2,800 lumen bulb. The projector will be hung from the ceiling approx 15-17 feet away, and seating position is 12-15 feet away. We will be watching TV mostly at night when the room is dark, but we still want to be able to use it sometimes with a decent appearance during the day. I like the idea of a wide viewing angle because of the room layout and being able to peek at the screen from the neighboring room.

I have no idea which electric screens to consider that would perform decent in a bright room during the day with this high power projector. What is the largest size I should consider at that viewing distance? 120" or 150"? Material? White or gray? I'd like the frame to be white in color to blend in with the interior decor.

By the way, the DNP Supernova 08-85 has superb off-angle perfomance. I didn't see any color shift, and very little drop off in perceived brightness. The 2.3 gain 23-23 has a nice wide viewing cone before it starts to dim, and even then the drop-off is gradual. I don't recall seeing negative color effects on that one either. Both Supernova materials beat the Firehawk and Black Diamond handily with respect to off-angle viewing, in my opinion.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

After looking at these choices it looks like the DNP Supernova Flex Classic would be ideal for what I need (since it has to be electric retractable). Screen Innovations told me they're coming out with Black Diamond Stealth this summer which will be retractable but that might be too long to wait. Any others I should consider that is similar to DNP Supernova Flex Classic?
Old 03-23-2012, 03:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by studlygoorite View Post

I am waiting for quotes from SmX and SeymourAV, you wouldn't have any comments on these would you? Or know of any others?

John

For woven AT screens, we carry Seymour, Screen Excellence and SMX. I have owned Seymour Center Stage and I currently own Screen Excellence EN4K. If you would like to discuss more, please shoot me an email.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Does anyone know a good distributor for DNP Supernova Flex Classic 118" who can just sell me one for DIY install without a long sales pitch about other system components? I called DNP and they gave me numbers of system integrators and I've been on the phone for an hour listening to suggestions about my projector, automation controls etc. without getting pricing info ("I'll call you back with pricing...") My install is very simple, I plan to do it myself.. I'd order it online if I could.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I think AVS sells DNP. Give Mike a call; his contact info is a couple of posts above in this thread
Old 12-31-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I have a similar question. I have a 106" DaLite High Power screen and was wondering whether a high contrast grey screen would be better in handling ambient light. My projector is in a living room (white walls) with a skylight that can't be closed.