Opinions on screen size for my room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 03-28-2012, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Guys,

In the process of finishing my basement and will have a projector in the family area. As it stands I have narrowed my projector choices down to Epson 8350 and the Panny AR100U.

The projector/media area will be in half of a open family room, just as you come down the stairs. (room is located left of stairs) The room is approximately 15' W x 30' D. The finished wall height taking into account drywall as well as pad and carpet on floor is approximatey 91 inches. To allow for clear walk way I am giving myself 12' W to work with.

I am planning on seating being 11-12' from projector screen. At this point I am considering 92" and 100" for screen size. I plan on having tower speakers for my L/R with their height being 40 inches. Sub would be placed in corner in close proximity to L tower.

If i go with a 92 inch screen I will have clearance for the towers to sit directly below and to the inside of the L and R towers. If I go with a 100 inch screen the towers will sit on the outside of the screen and need to be tilted for optimum sound. I would have to more than likely move the sub from the corner to inside the L tower.

I am considering building a bar for seating behind couch/sectional as well.

I greatly appreciate you opinions and comments. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-29-2012, 03:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
At 11-12' you will eventually want larger than 100"

Any chance you can go with a false front wall or in walls to make the screen larger?
post #3 of 14 Old 03-29-2012, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter

Both are an option. I initially was going to go with in wall speakers but have decided to just use in wall for my surrounds. I will be going from an old school 42 inch rear projection so any screen size is going to be massive. With a 100inch screen i will have about 2 feet on either side of screen for speaker placement.

Gaming will make up about 50% of the use. What size do you recommend?
post #4 of 14 Old 03-29-2012, 04:17 AM
Advanced Member

post #5 of 14 Old 03-29-2012, 04:25 AM
Blues In Thirds

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I like the idea of the fake wall as well. That way you can virtually take up the whole 15' for your screen. Is there a reason your sitting so close? You have 30' to play with right?
post #6 of 14 Old 03-29-2012, 04:30 AM
Blues In Thirds

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If OTOH, you are limited to 11-12', I would limit the size of the screen to whatever width allows your head to move no more than 30 to 40 degrees from left to right from the center sitting position. You can do a calculation to get the measurement - and whatever it comes out to - that's what I would use.
post #7 of 14 Old 03-29-2012, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by javry View Post

If OTOH, you are limited to 11-12', I would limit the size of the screen to whatever width allows your head to move no more than 30 to 40 degrees from left to right from the center sitting position. You can do a calculation to get the measurement - and whatever it comes out to - that's what I would use.

Doing this calculation with 12ft distance gives you ~14ft wide @ 30 degrees and just over 20ft wide @ 40 degrees... so you could basically go wall to wall if you wanted to...

Next step though, which is more important to me at least, is the height movement of your eyes. Determine which aspect screen you want and then figure out what height is comfortable to look up at. This will help you back into the width or diag measurement.
post #8 of 14 Old 03-29-2012, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

I had planned on a 16x9 screen. The rest of the room is a play area for the kids. This will be a multifunctional family room not a straight home theater. Only one row of seating unless I decide to build a bar.

I am not planning on a AT screen so taking up the entire wall is not an option. Basically the top of the screen will be 5 inches below ceiling height.
post #9 of 14 Old 03-29-2012, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

5" down on a 91" wall will be pretty darn high if you choose a 100" or so screen.

For reference, when I had a 106" screen, my screen was mounted 18" down from the ceiling... on a 100" wall. That left 25"+ on the bottom.
post #10 of 14 Old 03-29-2012, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

I have the ability to go lower. But that will be the highest the screen will be mounted. I just dont want to see me go with a large screen that forced my L and R channel to be placed close to the boundries of my 12' wall width. I could go a little bigger than 100, but not much I dont think.

I appreciate everyones insight on this. Thanks.
post #11 of 14 Old 03-30-2012, 03:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Broadway View Post

I have the ability to go lower. But that will be the highest the screen will be mounted. I just dont want to see me go with a large screen that forced my L and R channel to be placed close to the boundries of my 12' wall width. I could go a little bigger than 100, but not much I dont think.

I appreciate everyones insight on this. Thanks.

Go with as large as you reasonably can. For me, with a 11' to 12' viewing distance that would be a 106" minimum. For your mains, I would place an absorption panel on the side wall and either a corner bass trap or another absorption panel behind the speaker, since speakers would be close to the side wall. If we can help answer any questions for you, give us a call.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #12 of 14 Old 03-30-2012, 03:38 AM
Advanced Member

I had almost exaxctly same seating distance in Family room at my old house and found 92 inches to be really good. It was quite immersive already and I didn't regret not doing 106, which I had also considered. The latter would not have been overwhelmingly bigger - but 92 was quite good already. .

So if you're starting to approach the point where you are compromising audio quality, I'd stick to the 92. Will be very satisfying already at that size.

There is also personal preference to consider. For context, at the move theater, I'd consider a front row seat to be a bad seat, as I don't like to move my neck/eyes too much or too fast. For me, middle of theater would be ideal.
post #13 of 14 Old 03-30-2012, 05:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 467
I sit slightly forward from middle when I go to the theater. I started off with a 106" diagonal screen viewed from 11.5'. I am currently viewing 106" diagonal from 10'. I have been on this forum for many years and I don't need all of my fingers on one hand to count the number of people that have said " I wish that I bought a smaller screen." I have read 100's if not 1,000's of posts where a person has said "I wish that I had bought a larger screen." or "I am going to go with a bigger screen next time."

When you are coming from a TV, any screen seems large, but that soon wears off. I am not saying to go for the largest screen that can fit in anybodies room, but with today's projector technology, I would not go above 1.5 screen widths for a viewing distance. 1.5 screen widths from a 106" screen is 11.5'. It is also a 37 degree viewing angle. The THX recommended size (diagonal 16:9) for a 12' viewing distance is 107". http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1004723

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #14 of 14 Old 03-30-2012, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

I was looking at those charts. I could make 106 work and have room for speaker placement.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page