Flat vs. Recessed Screen Wall - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-01-2012, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
In planning my theater I will be building a screen wall in front of a poured concrete basement wall. I have the option of making the wall flat or building some degree of recess into the wall, which would give me a little more distance from my planned viewing location and I think would be aesthetically pleasing. Are there any thoughts or experiences with screens that are recessed into the wall? If so, any limitations on the depth of the recess? And how much space should be left around the screen if mounted in a recess? The reason I ask about this is to do the recess, I will recess below a bulkhead around a heat duct, which will place it about a foot below the overall ceiling height of about 8 feet. Then I get into screen size partially determined by where it should be positioned with respect to viewing eye level. A Scope screen would obviously work best because it is shorter in height, but I'm not planning on going the anamorphic lens route, so I don't think that would work well for me. I see that Seymour recommends eye level at 1/6 to 1/3 of the screen height. So with the size screen I can fit in the recess, 1/3 screen height would be at 40" with the Scope ratio and only 33" with 16:9. I'm guessing that's lower then recommended, right?

Planned screen size is 133" Diagonal 16:9 AT shot from an Epson 6010 in a totally light controlled room. Viewing distance about 14' with the recess, 13' without.

Thanks,

Chuck

"The Ginky Weeds" Theater Design and Construction Thread
Sherbourn PT-7030, PA 7-350, PA 7-150, PA 4Z-75, C-12, Oppo BDP-103D
Klipsch La Scala I LCR with Crites AA crossovers & tweeters; Heresy I S&R surrounds with Crites crossover upgrades
Bill Fitzmaurice DIY THT subwoofers (2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-01-2012, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Why AT if hanging on the wall? Going with in wall speakers? In any case, you'll be fine with 133" at 13ft if that works better for your overall plan.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-01-2012, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'd like to do AT because I can place the speakers between the screen wall and the outside wall. The side and rear surrounds and the front effects that will all be in-wall. The LCRs will be bookshelf style. Rounded out by two subs. Klipsch THX Ultra2 system. I like the idea of the center channel firing from mid-screen and it will have a much cleaner look from within the theater.

I need to do more research on where the screen should be located vertically vs. viewing eye level.

Thanks,

Chuck

"The Ginky Weeds" Theater Design and Construction Thread
Sherbourn PT-7030, PA 7-350, PA 7-150, PA 4Z-75, C-12, Oppo BDP-103D
Klipsch La Scala I LCR with Crites AA crossovers & tweeters; Heresy I S&R surrounds with Crites crossover upgrades
Bill Fitzmaurice DIY THT subwoofers (2)
post #4 of 4 Old 04-01-2012, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
There are parameters you can use for angles etc., but nothing compares shooting the image on the wall and sitting in the seat and seeing for yourself.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page