Sony VPL-HW30 and Carada Screen, reccomendations/questions. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-13-2012, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys, doing some more research on the projector and screen. He is pretty ready to pull the trigger on the Sony HW30 over the JVC RS45 primarily due to the ability to game on the Sony while still getting excellent black levels in movies and such.

We're going to go with a 118" Carada screen, most likely the criterion series. What i was curious if you guys think we should stick with the classic cinema white, or go for one of the others like the high contrast grey or the brilliant white. I'm guessing the classic cinema white should be fine since its a pretty bright projector, but, you guys are the experts ;-).

Here is a pic of the room, its captured from a youtube video from the video tour of the house for the seller, so im sorry for the crap quality, but it at least gives you an idea. The screen in the picture is a 120" according to the previous owner.

The lighting is very controllable in the room, i wouldn't say 100% but 85-90%, and i plan to take care of that window with a covering that will eliminate any outside light from it. Throw distance from projector to screen should be around 16'.

Klipsch RF-62 L/R, RC-62 C, Energy C-100 SL/SR, HSU VTF-15H, Marantz SR5003.

"All speakers sound good when you're on a coke binge in the middle of an orgy." - Heebdawg16
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-15-2012, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

135 views and not one person has anything at all to input?

"All speakers sound good when you're on a coke binge in the middle of an orgy." - Heebdawg16
post #3 of 5 Old 04-15-2012, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I would go with either the Brilliant White or the CCW, Unless you are really worried about the black levels. I have a 106 inch BW with the Sony 95 and I love it. The actual gain of the BW has been measured closer to 1 instead of 1.4. I think you would be happy with the BW, I know I am. Hope this helps.
post #4 of 5 Old 04-15-2012, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarki View Post

I would go with either the Brilliant White or the CCW, Unless you are really worried about the black levels. I have a 106 inch BW with the Sony 95 and I love it. The actual gain of the BW has been measured closer to 1 instead of 1.4. I think you would be happy with the BW, I know I am. Hope this helps.

Thank you. I read a review earlier today on a website from 2004 that the Cinema white seems to only reflect about 65% of light thrown at it and you can clearly see light passing through it, etc. So i was kind of worried about that. I also read that the brilliant white is a much thicker material so i was kinda leaning towards that.

I figured i probably wouldnt need the grey given the projector and all, but thats why i posted a pic of the room.

I really appreciate you giving me some info, i'll likely go with the brilliant white. Especially in hindsight i was worried about viewing angles but looking at that pic the screen is gonna take up most of that wall anyways so its not like anyone is gonna be way off angle

post #5 of 5 Old 04-16-2012, 06:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 405
For a 118" screen go with the Brilliant White fabric. If we can help you, give us a shout. In that room viewing angle would not matter, even if you were looking at a High Power. Room is just too narrow for it to make much difference.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page