Please, help to solve a dilemma with a PJ screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-16-2012, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I am a projector noob but did some research and I've pretty much decided on BenQ W7000 for its outstanding sharpness, naturalness of the picture and outstanding 3D performance (according to testimonies and reviews, at least). I hope the contrast ratio won't me much of a disappointment after Panasonic GT20 plasma. Won't it?

But that's not my dilemma. The dilemma is which screen I should choose. I have a small room (12,25 square meters / 130 square feet) and I have two loudspeakers positioned near the short wall. It is the perfect position for them and it is impossible to move them apart any further. The distance between the speakers is around 160 cm (63").

On one hand, I want the screen to be as big as my room allows it. So the screen could be approx. 203 cm in width (80"), 100" diagonal 16:9. On the other hand, if I want this screen to lower enough to allow for a comfortable vertical angles it will block the speakers. I am concerned not only because the sound will be compromised but because my speakers (studio monitors, to be precise) are front-ported and produce massive amounts of air pressure on bass-heavy material. Will acoustically transparent screen be the solution for me? Will the screen wobble?

The alternative being, there's a free zone between the speakers which could be filled with a projector screen of 63" width. But I'm afraid this won't satisfy me in terms of immersion. Excellent 3D needs a large screen size.

So I'm asking you to share your thoughts. Is there anything that could be done to overcome these technical difficulties? Which PJ screens I should look at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-16-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 112
How about building a false wall using acoustically transparent fabric and an acoustically transparent screen? This puts all of your speakers behind the screen and you can take the screen as far to the walls a you like.

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 Old 04-16-2012, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post

... I am concerned not only because the sound will be compromised but because my speakers (studio monitors, to be precise) are front-ported and produce massive amounts of air pressure on bass-heavy material. Will acoustically transparent screen be the solution for me? Will the screen wobble?

Of course, it depends on the type of AT screen (perf or fabric) and to some extent the brand within that type. But my experience with the Seymour XD fabric as well as a lot of "testimony" on the Seymour forum tells me that you should not have a problem with your bass-heavy drivers provided that they are placed several (>~3") inches back from the fabric's back surface. (Airscape's false/screen wall suggestion is right on the mark.)
I would not expect similar results from a perf screen but I have no experience with them.
From an aesthetic perspective, you cannot beat an AT screen
post #4 of 11 Old 04-16-2012, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Here is a thread that may give you some ideas
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ht=screen+wall

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 Old 04-16-2012, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the suggestion, but I forgot to mention that there's a balcony at the back of my room, behind the speakers, so I'll still need it. That's why I need only motorized in-ceiling screen.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-18-2012, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've been browsing the market for AT motorized screens... I would've chosen Seymour AV, but their smallest screen is 85" width which wouldn't fit in my room (the case is too wide).

I've been only able to find 2 screens which would fit my need...
1) Projecta Tensioned Elpro Electrol (86"/16:9) 117x200cm High Contrast Cinema Vision Sound
2) Screen Excellence Performance Motorized 90" 112 x 200 PF 80

Which one is better? Or maybe there's a better (and cheaper) one out there?
post #7 of 11 Old 04-18-2012, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

You do realize that all the major manufacture will build the screen to your size needs at no or limited additional cost. Give the sales guys at AVS a call and they can help you with this.

Doug

post #8 of 11 Old 04-18-2012, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I highly doubt Seymour AV will make a 80" width screen just for me...
post #9 of 11 Old 04-19-2012, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Can't hurt to ask, you never know. Chris at Seymour is very responsive!
post #10 of 11 Old 04-19-2012, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The screen need to be made.. what is the difference if the make it one size or the next.. obliviously you will pay for the next size up from whatever it is you need.. if larger than the largest standard size you will probably pay more..
If you don't ask, you won't know, call AVS or the screen company sales staff directly.

Doug

post #11 of 11 Old 04-19-2012, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I wrote Chris yesterday after posting my previous message, waiting for the answer. Can anyone comment on two previous screens vs. Seymour AV's?
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page