Do I have a better screen option... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-24-2012, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 185
posted this in the PJ area and realized quickly it was a mistake, sorry...

Not IF but WHEN I get a PJ am I best off...

Simply selecting the best "screen" paint I can find for my space and painting the entire wall I will be projecting on?

I say am "I" be best off because I bet the following items do not bother most people like they would me because, well, I'm an aesthetics freak.

1. I considered a fixed screen. Seemed like a decent option. Then I realized that because I will use the PJ for sports/tv content AND film, there will of course be unused screen for different content. Nice image with massive spaces of framed white/grey screen. Probabaly not an issue (rightly) for 99% of the population. This would drive me nuts.

2. I considered a motorized drop-down screen. This also initially seemed like a good option. But I would rather not have the case hanging from the ceiling. and I'm not yet convinced (from the units I've seen) that the screen will be as uniform (read: flat) as I would like (like a fixed screen built into the wall) and that would drive me nuts. Never mind I run into the unused screen issue again.

The option that I think would work best for ME: simply painting the entire wall. No masking. No unused white/grey space. Perfectly flat (or made perfectly flat, if necessary). No, not absolutely perfect, but the best for me, perhaps.

My question: what's the image quality sacrifice over using a screen? If it's that significant perhaps I'll reconsider, but I've read that so many have seen great results with simply painting that I'm really interested in the option.

Paint the wall. Done.

Opinions? I'm sure there has to have been at least a few guys like me who felt the same- or at least didn't have the WAF for a fixed screen. Am I underestimating the retractable screen?

thanks.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2012, 01:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked: 533
The perceived contrast is higher when the image is surrounded by a black border.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Old 04-25-2012, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

The perceived contrast is higher when the image is surrounded by a black border.

Makes sense. I'm thinking I could "live with" incorporating a border and then I could just get away with painting the "screen" the most desirable grey (ambient light going on).

Then, on some films I'd simply have the grey on the top and bottom, framed in, which I could live with.

James

Old 04-25-2012, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Either way you are going to have bars on 2.35 material since projectors are native 16:9, and it sounds like you aren't going to get as complex as a scaler and A-lens. Your best bet is to get a real screen and mask it.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^ Ok...you're exactly right...

Is it as simple as cutting a fabric/screen material to size, stapling/adhering it to the wall and framing it up with a molding of my choice, or am I better off stretching it across a frame I build and mounting said frame to the wall?

Now I'm trying to find out if there's any paint formulation that can match a fabric/screen choice as I'd rather simply paint a rectangle on the wall and frame it up, but if there's a considerable improvement using a fabric/screen then I'll bite the bullet.

thanks

James

Old 04-26-2012, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
If you're looking for DIY, you'll get better responses in the DIY section. With that in mind, I would stretch fabric across the frame and then hang that on the wall. If you just staple or adhere fabric to the wall, it will sag, ripple, or print the wall imperfections. If you have as much OCD as you say, that will piss you off more than anything.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDUpstate View Post

If you're looking for DIY, you'll get better responses in the DIY section. With that in mind, I would stretch fabric across the frame and then hang that on the wall. If you just staple or adhere fabric to the wall, it will sag, ripple, or print the wall imperfections. If you have as much OCD as you say, that will piss you off more than anything.

lmao...yep, it would.

Make the screen, fasten it to the wall.

duh.

thanks.

James