Need help finding budget screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 04-26-2012, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, I am about to take a plunge into this home theater experience. I have found a good deal on a projector. I'll be getting a new 8350 Projector for $875 locally and I was wondering what kind of screen do i need.

My original thought was to spend $1,000 total on a PJ and screen. Once i found the deal on the PJ, i started to look for a good 120" screen. I am shocked at how expensive the screens are. There are screens that are 3/4 price of what i paid for the projector. what is so special about the screens?

The person that is selling me the Projector also has Elite Screen Fixed Frame 120 inch Elite Screens R120H1 ezFrame Fixed Projection Screen (120" 16:9 AR)(CineGrey) for additional $400. This goes well beyond my budget. Is it really worth the extra $400?

I was thinking of this ebay screen
http://www.ebay.com/itm/72-X-110-Pro...item20b4d73dfd or this one sounds good http://www.ebay.com/itm/9x10-Blackou...item4cfd44b647 and get some 2x4" wood from home depot and make my own frame and staple the screen to the wood and just hang it up on a wall with some clamps or something.

are there any better alternative screens that don't cost 1/2 my projector? maybe a better ebay screen fabric? I have no idea what i am looking for. I read up on the grains and stuff and i think higher the grain, better it is. but other than that, its all blurry for me. I am still trying to comprehend about the projector and if the $875 spent on the 8350 is worth it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS: I can not paint the wall due to we are renting the house and plus the wall is not smooth at all, it is white and has bumps on it like stucco. Maybe if the paint was on the white side, it might be doable. but i would hate to sand down the wall to make it smooth. I don't want all that dust in the room as i have to sleep in it at night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-27-2012, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The screen is every bit as important as the projector and should not be thought of as an accessory. Sometimes a given budget that is allocated more towards the screen and less towards the projector will render a better result. All too often people obsess on the projector and treat the screen as an afterthought. The screen is the critical interface between your projector and your biology...much as a loudspeaker is to a receiver. The more you spend on a screen, the more you will be enjoying the equipment upstream of it.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-29-2012, 02:25 AM

If an expensive screen isn't in your budget right now I'd say yeah go with something like blackout cloth. You can probably even find it locally for cheaper - I think my first blackout cloth screen cost $20 for the cloth and $30 more for velvet for the frame. Do a search in the DIY Screens section and you'll get more info.

After you have it up if you're still interested many of the screen companies will send samples on request. Then you can compare and decide if a better screen will be worth the difference.

XBL GT: Big Bucket
post #4 of 13 Old 04-29-2012, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

I was thinking, if I buy all the materials for the frame and a good screen fabric from eBay, it still isn't going to be cheap. probabley will cost me float to $200. I was thinking, are there any decent screens out there for about $300? If the screen is that much important, I do not wan to skimp on it but also it's hard to justify the $400+ price on a screen. Maybe I'm just a noob that still has not figured out how important is screen.

I like the idea of a fixed screen, it would look nice to hang up a big 120" screen on the wall. Hopefully I have enough room to project that big of a screen. I think my room is 14 ft in length. I'll have to get a tape and measure it out this afternoon and post the official dimensions.

What is the best screen I can get for approx $300? I dought an electric screen is in my budget. I know there are some manual pull down Elite screen that are very cheap such as this one here http://www.provantage.com/elite-scre...2~7ELSC06P.htm is this any good? This cost less than the fabric from eBay. I was thinking a grey screen as I will have some ambient light from the blinds as this will be in the master bedroom with 3 windows.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-30-2012, 02:40 PM

For the 8350 the throw range is 11'9"-25'1" for a 120" screen.

Contact the guys at the AVS store here. They'll have some suggestions.

I haven't really done a lot of looking but I know the Elite Sable Frame is around that price, but it only comes in white, not grey. I'm sure there are others out there though.

XBL GT: Big Bucket
post #6 of 13 Old 04-30-2012, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

I actually just finally decided to open the box and just see how it looks on the wall and OMG This is AMAZING. i don't think i need a screen. The image looked sooo good. All i did was just made a shelf with heavy duty clamps and a heavy duty shelf from home depot and put the projector and hooked up the laptop via HDMI and right out the box it is nice. I think i projected about 150" diagonally and man it was awesome. I want to get 150" screen because going down to 120" seems small compared to 150" lol I want to say the front of the lens is about 14 Ft from the end of the other side of wall and about a bit over 8ft off the ground.
post #7 of 13 Old 05-01-2012, 08:28 AM

I'm on my fourth screen and third projector in the last 1 1/2 years. Projectors will always go out-of-date but a good screen will last a very long time. Don't get too hung-up on a 150" screen size. Sit a good 50" Plasma in front of it and you will see what you are losing in contrast and detail....
post #8 of 13 Old 05-01-2012, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Up your $300 and spend $400 total by skipping a handful of lattes and get this:

http://www.visualapex.com/Projector-...mber=VAPEX9120

Done.

post #9 of 13 Old 05-02-2012, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
The Visual Apex (VAPEX) fixed screens are nice quality for the price as well. Nicer than the Elite EzFrame. $400 will get you a 120", $350 will get you a 106". Only in white though.

If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
post #10 of 13 Old 05-03-2012, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
What about Accuscreens? http://accuscreens1-px.rtrk.com/index.asp

I have their 106" AT screen from projector people..paid just over $200 for it. Using with my first projector, the Mits HC4000. Very satisfied.
post #11 of 13 Old 11-10-2012, 04:11 PM
b8b

I too am looking for a budget/best-bang-for-the-buck screen. I am considering Jamestown Home Theater Screen for$300. Last HT setup I did a Do-able screen for only $30 and some labor, but now I need 130"+, so that's out...
post #12 of 13 Old 11-11-2012, 12:28 PM

radi4fun: Wow! How did you get an 8350 for $875? I've looked on eBay and the cheapest is around $1100...
post #13 of 13 Old 11-11-2012, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by b8b View Post

I too am looking for a budget/best-bang-for-the-buck screen. I am considering Jamestown Home Theater Screen for$300. Last HT setup I did a Do-able screen for only $30 and some labor, but now I need 130"+, so that's out...

Yes. JT screen would be the option for OP.
My 120" should arrive tomorrow.

OP, there is a lead time of about a month on JT. Just so you know..
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page