help with screen selection - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-26-2012, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Help with screen selection: I have tried to find my answer via “search” but it seems that there are too many variables involved and therefore no easy “comparison” chart. Perhaps some of your experiences will help to steer me in the right direction

Here's a picture of the basement theater area. Open concept but with zone lighting control for theater, bar, game area etc. (Window light will not effect theater area )

Expected use:
- Movies = 50% of time ( lights dimmed in theater and dark throughout other zones )
- Sports = 25% of time ( lights dimmed in theater but mostly on in other zones)
- Episodes = 25% of time (lights dimmed in theater but mostly on in other zones)

Theater details
- Maximum screen size (including frame): 91” W x 61” H
- Aspect Ratio: thinking about 16:9
- Room Size: 19' deep x 15' wide (projector would be mounted approx. 14' from screen)
- Projector: 99% decided on Panasonic AE 7000 (2000 lumens)
- 3D: Not high on my list of wants

Looking at:
- Elite ezframe ciniwhite 1.1 gain R92H 84.6” W x 50” H
- Da Lite Cinema Contour 1.0 gain 86” W x 51” H

I would like to maximize the available screen area but at the same time don't want to give up contrast, black level, etc. Am I looking at the right screens...are there better choices?

Yes....center channel will be hidden below ...also when I wired basement I was not sure if I would go with a large TV or projector so I wired for both.
LL

Kindest Regards

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-27-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 37
A Vutec Vu-Easy with 92" (16x9) image would have an OD of 50x85 and would come in at under $1K. Or you could get a Stewart of the same size for a little over $2K.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-27-2012, 03:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1487 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71_1 View Post

Help with screen selection: I have tried to find my answer via “search” but it seems that there are too many variables involved and therefore no easy “comparison” chart. Perhaps some of your experiences will help to steer me in the right direction

Here's a picture of the basement theater area. Open concept but with zone lighting control for theater, bar, game area etc. (Window light will not effect theater area )

Expected use:
- Movies = 50% of time ( lights dimmed in theater and dark throughout other zones )
- Sports = 25% of time ( lights dimmed in theater but mostly on in other zones)
- Episodes = 25% of time (lights dimmed in theater but mostly on in other zones)

Theater details
- Maximum screen size (including frame): 91” W x 61” H
- Aspect Ratio: thinking about 16:9
- Room Size: 19' deep x 15' wide (projector would be mounted approx. 14' from screen)
- Projector: 99% decided on Panasonic AE 7000 (2000 lumens)
- 3D: Not high on my list of wants

Looking at:
- Elite ezframe ciniwhite 1.1 gain R92H 84.6” W x 50” H
- Da Lite Cinema Contour 1.0 gain 86” W x 51” H

I would like to maximize the available screen area but at the same time don't want to give up contrast, black level, etc. Am I looking at the right screens...are there better choices?

Yes....center channel will be hidden below ...also when I wired basement I was not sure if I would go with a large TV or projector so I wired for both.

Since you are not interested in 3D and you are going with a 16:9 screen, why pick the Panny 7000 over the other contenders (Epson 5010, JVC RS45 and Sony HW30AES). In best image mode (the mode that you and most everybody else uses) those other projectors beat the Panny 7000 and a couple of them smoke it in lumen output.

Panny 7000, best image mode calibrated 442 lumens: http://www.projectorreviews.com/pana...nce.php#bright
Epson 5010, Best image modecalibrated 630 lumens: http://www.projectorreviews.com/epso...nce.php#bright Other reviews have shown the 5010 with higher lumens.
JVC RS45, best image mode calibrated 892 lumens: http://www.projectorreviews.com/jvc/...nce.php#bright
Sony HW30AES, best image mode calibrated 814 lumens: http://www.projectorreviews.com/sony...nce.php#bright The Sony and JVC put out more lumens best image mode low lamp than the Panny 7000 can do with high lamp.

Now lumens is not the only thing to judge a projector by, but if you are not doing a 2.35 screen and 3D is not high on your list, I think you should take a second look at the other projectors listed above.

Screens need to be matched to the room, viewing conditions and the projector. If you would like help with selection, shoot us an email.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page