High gain AT screens??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-30-2012, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Does anyone know if there any AT screens with a higher gain than 1.16?

I have a 1.16 AT 140" scope screen but I would dearly love to have a higher gain than this.

Why is is so hard to make higher gain AT screens?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-30-2012, 04:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Stewart 5D and Ultramatte 2.0 are 2.0 gain screens, their Active 170 is 1.7 gain. Many woven type screens can't have a coating applied to them to add gain. If they have gain it is often because they are a whiter white then their reference. You'll usually only find gain AT screens on the vinyl based screens that can be perforated.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-30-2012, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobL View Post

Stewart 5D and Ultramatte 2.0 are 2.0 gain screens, their Active 170 is 1.7 gain. Many woven type screens can't have a coating applied to them to add gain. If they have gain it is often because they are a whiter white then their reference. You'll usually only find gain AT screens on the vinyl based screens that can be perforated.

Bob do you know which one is best for just 2D viewing and can you just buy the fabric only?
post #4 of 8 Old 05-01-2012, 12:29 PM

I tend to lean towards the Active 170 or 5D. The ultamatte 200 is best when you have a long throw projector and few home theaters have that long of a throw. Both will look great in 2D. The 5D is the obvious choice if you ever think you will go with a passive 3D system as it can hold polarization. The 5D will do better with ambient light.

The 170 has a larger viewing area and would be a better choice for viewing without ambient light or if you have seating to the side. Both are good choices but which is better has more to do with your room and viewing conditions.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-01-2012, 12:38 PM

I don't know if they sell just the fabric alone. I am pretty sure you can get it with snaps or grommets if you plan to make your own frame. It is not the type of fabric you would just attach to a frame with staples or something similar.

Stewart is a custom company and even their "standard" sizes are individually made and the material is cured and hung. Their screens do need to be stretched onto their frames so you get that perfect flatness and uniformity. Relative to the cost of the screen material their frames are inexpensive. Granted their frames might cost more than a cheap screen altogether but the material is what's really expensive.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-02-2012, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't know if they sell just the fabric alone. I am pretty sure you can get it with snaps or grommets if you plan to make your own frame. It is not the type of fabric you would just attach to a frame with staples or something similar.

Stewart is a custom company and even their "standard" sizes are individually made and the material is cured and hung. Their screens do need to be stretched onto their frames so you get that perfect flatness and uniformity. Relative to the cost of the screen material their frames are inexpensive. Granted their frames might cost more than a cheap screen altogether but the material is what's really expensive.

Looks like these screens are micro perf (not woven) I'm told you have to setup the rear speakers further away with them 12" is this true?

My speakers from my current AT woven screen are in wall THX Klipsch and they are up close to the current screen, I could not place the screen further away from the speakers due to restraints from motorized masking, main curtain etc etc.....
post #7 of 8 Old 05-02-2012, 02:45 AM

Speakers perform better if placed 12" behind the screen, this is true of woven screens as well. However, the closer the speaker is to the back of the screen the more this effects perforated screens sound, it effects woven screens too just not as much. I'd say 6-8" or greater is better for perforated screens with 12" being ideal.

The woven screen is probably the best choice in your situation. You just need a brighter projector:-)
post #8 of 8 Old 05-02-2012, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Speakers perform better if placed 12" behind the screen, this is true of woven screens as well. However, the closer the speaker is to the back of the screen the more this effects perforated screens sound, it effects woven screens too just not as much. I'd say 6-8" or greater is better for perforated screens with 12" being ideal.

The woven screen is probably the best choice in your situation. You just need a brighter projector:-)

Easy to get a brighter projector, but they will never be as good as the RS65!
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page