2.35:1 or 16:9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 05-02-2012, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello!

I am finally setting up my HT, and will have be using an Epson 8700. I still need some help deciding on a screen, however. My space will be 12 x 16 x 7 (boo, low ceiling) in the basement with full light control + black screen wall and ceiling. Due to time/space/budget constraints, building a stage and using AT screen won't be an option currently. I will be watching 95% movies and 5% TV/cable.

Initially, I was set on getting a 16:9, 120" Vapex fixed screen, but after doing some calculation, this will be a little too tall given the low ceiling (gives me about 18" to place my center speaker under the screen). Instead of just going down to the 106" 16:9 Vapex fixed, I noticed I could get a 120" 2.35:1 Focupix screen and still have enough space around for the speakers.

Given most of my movies are in 2.35:1 format, I figured this will probably be the best way to go. Question #1: in general (ignoring the actual brand/companies I've listed) has anyone gone from a 16:9 to a 2.35:1 and regretted it?

In truth, while I've seen nothing but good reviews re: Vapex screen, I have seen some mediocre reviews re: the Focupix so I've been a little concerned, but for the cheap cost, I figured it wouldn't be a huge loss. Question #2: can anyone recommend an alternate, affordable (~$400) 2:35.1 screen? I suppose someone will probably recommend DIY - while I'm not disinterested, I would appreciate a very detailed recommendation/guide (where and what to buy, etc) as I wouldn't want to mess it up.

Thanks for all the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-03-2012, 04:19 AM

Liked: 52
If you are a movie buff and it looks like you are by your viewing habit you would probably enjoy a 2.35:1. You might want to consider the Panny or JVC with lens memory though. Zooming the Epson manually is a pain and although I really like the Epson its lens shift is sloppy and takes a bit of time to get right. You might find this annoying after a while.

Haven't used those screens so can't comment.
post #3 of 17 Old 05-04-2012, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply BobL! After doing some more research and measurements, I think I'm set on a 110", 2.35:1 screen. Can anyone recommend an economical (~$400) screen brand in that size? It would be nice if Vapex made these

Thanks!
post #4 of 17 Old 05-04-2012, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
While I understand the 2.35:1 screen and 16X9 debate i personally like a 16X9 screen as I can watch HDTV, sports, and (I don't but others do) play video games. NOW as far as price definitely go 16X9 as it is far more affordable and you will get a large screen area for those 16X9 movies.
As for your ceiling being low, I have the same issue. I have maybe at best 7 feet and my screen is only about 16inches above the floor. Feels like an IMAX theater.
Either way you will enjoy it.
Lastly, you can always get a 16X9 screen and make a cheap masking system or buy one when you have a little extra money. If you buy a 2.35:1 you are stuck but with 16X9 you can mask
Here is a link to my masking that is quite good and looks better than most professional setups.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hlight=masking
post #5 of 17 Old 05-04-2012, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd View Post

while i understand the 2.35:1 screen and 16x9 debate i personally like a 16x9 screen as i can watch hdtv, sports, and (i don't but others do) play video games. Now as far as price definitely go 16x9 as it is far more affordable and you will get a large screen area for those 16x9 movies.
As for your ceiling being low, i have the same issue. I have maybe at best 7 feet and my screen is only about 16inches above the floor. Feels like an imax theater.
Lastly, you can always get a 16x9 screen and make a cheap masking system or buy one when you have a little extra money. If you buy a 2.35:1 you are stuck but with 16x9 you can mask
here is a link to my masking that is quite good and looks better than most professional setups.

+1
post #6 of 17 Old 05-06-2012, 02:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd View Post

While I understand the 2.35:1 screen and 16X9 debate i personally like a 16X9 screen as I can watch HDTV, sports, and (I don't but others do) play video games. NOW as far as price definitely go 16X9 as it is far more affordable and you will get a large screen area for those 16X9 movies.
As for your ceiling being low, I have the same issue. I have maybe at best 7 feet and my screen is only about 16inches above the floor. Feels like an IMAX theater.
Lastly, you can always get a 16X9 screen and make a cheap masking system or buy one when you have a little extra money. If you buy a 2.35:1 you are stuck but with 16X9 you can mask
Here is a link to my masking that is quite good and looks better than most professional setups.

It all comes down to what you watch most. I mostly watch scope movies and I did not like that my scope movies, were so much smaller than the 16:9 image. Especially since a scope movie is supposed to be wide. A wide scope image is a lot more immersive. Here is a pic of my 2.40 curved AT scope screen. http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...escreen002.jpg

It all comes down to what you like to watch on your setup. If sports and HDTV are what you will be viewing most, then most certainly, 16:9 is the way to go.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #7 of 17 Old 05-06-2012, 03:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Some of us split the difference and get a ~2:1 screen.

Noah
post #8 of 17 Old 05-07-2012, 05:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

Some of us split the difference and get a ~2:1 screen.

Yes that is another possibility, but then you either have to put up with black bars or deal with masking. No matter what route you go you are always having to compromise something.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #9 of 17 Old 05-08-2012, 12:13 PM

After lots of research I went for a 2.35:1 screen. I've a panny with lens memory and it does the job pretty fast. However I watch 70% movies and 30% TV (sports) in my basement. Here's my setup
LL
post #10 of 17 Old 05-08-2012, 07:56 PM

Nice setup.
post #11 of 17 Old 05-09-2012, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Very nice! Are the surround too high?

post #12 of 17 Old 05-09-2012, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kumarforyou View Post

After lots of research I went for a 2.35:1 screen. I've a panny with lens memory and it does the job pretty fast. However I watch 70% movies and 30% TV (sports) in my basement. Here's my setup

kumar,

3 questions!

What size is your screen, how high off the floor is the screen mounted to the very bottom of the frame and what is your viewing distance?

...Glenn
post #13 of 17 Old 05-09-2012, 12:25 PM

To future proof the screen, I plan to get a 2.35:1 and mask it down to 16.9:1. That way I can upgrade later without buying a new screen. I have the space to do this so it sounds like the best plan for me
post #14 of 17 Old 05-09-2012, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I've been hemming and hawing about whether to go 16:9 or 2.35:1 (or even something else altogether like 2.0:1) on my next screen size upgrade (I've currently got a 92" diagonal 16:9). I still don't know that I'm any closer to making a decision, except that I probably am *closer* time-wise, because I think I want to make the order within the next week, so however the mood strikes me that day is probably how it will go. Today I'm leaning towards 16:9. Both walls I'm considering put the screen on are probably close a square ratio, with high ceilings, so I'm not height restricted. One I take into account the height of the front speakers, it's probably more like 16:9. But I also don't like looking up too much, so that would be another point in favor of going 2.35:1.

In my case (I've got an Epson 8350), I'd be manually zooming/shifting, but I think I'm OK with that (I've been simulating it over the past week). The other factor, though, is that I'm not sure if the gray bars are *that* bothersome, so part of me thinks I should go 16:9 in case I later switch to a 3D projector (and assuming that 3D doesn't go the way of the dinosaur), since most 3D movies seem to be 16:9, or close to that.

As I said, I don't know that I can make up my mind definitively. Whatever I go with I'll hopefully be happy with.

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #15 of 17 Old 05-16-2012, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Here is an crazy good deal and really is the best solution:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

There are a bunch of sizes but here you go 16:9 with 2.35:1 masking on the affordable and from the reviews seems like a GREAT deal!. You can't find masking for less than at least $2000 plus the screen so this is a screaming deal.
post #16 of 17 Old 05-20-2012, 03:34 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kumarforyou View Post

What size is your screen? That is a nice clean setup.
post #17 of 17 Old 05-24-2012, 07:18 AM

Hi,
I have a 2.35:1 fixed screen and a 16:9 electric which comes down
in front when needed

Barry

It'll all work at the same time....one day.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page