Tower Speakers behind AT Screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-05-2012, 03:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Am about to embark on kitting out a dedicated theatre and was hoping to use an AT screen. However my current L & R are tower speakers1.095m tall & weigh 42kg or 93lbs so I'm wondering how others have dealt with this situation, does the screen frame interrupt the sound.

Other options are to have them to the side of the screen and go with a matching centre behind / below the screen, but I was hoping to have an identical tower for centre

How have others dealt with this situation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-05-2012, 04:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Have you drawn out a rendering of your front wall yet with the size of the screen you want?
Are these floorstanding speakers and not tower speakers on stands? In other words, how low is the lowest driver? How low will your screen frame sit? Add ~3.5" all around to the screen size for the screen frame.
The stage in some builds serves as a speaker riser. You could do this in your build depending on how low your drivers are. Otherwise, you could build individual sand-filled boxes to raise the speakers to the appropriate height. (tweeters at seated ear level)

Any of these will likely be better than outside the screen. (I did that for a while, and it was great, until I moved everything behind the screen... now it's *really* great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-05-2012, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I am keen to get them behind the screen. The speakers I have are the following :

http://sgraudio.com.au/products/convex/cx4f.html

I have a room that is 6m x 6m, looking to make it about 5m wide and have a storage area outside the main room. So the screen I am thinking about a CIH of about 130"
http://www.projectorscreens.com.au/1...-standard.html

I am open to a stage or stand, but I worry it will elevate the tweeters above ear level. Also the room height is just on or under when lined at 2m
post #4 of 8 Old 05-05-2012, 04:54 AM - Thread Starter

No I haven't mastered rendering a design in sketch up or such, need to look into understanding that better
post #5 of 8 Old 05-05-2012, 05:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewa View Post

No I haven't mastered rendering a design in sketch up or such, need to look into understanding that better

Do sketchup if you want to, but it's not necessary.

I literally have a spiral-bound notebook that I call my "project journal".

It has all my chicken scratch, drawings, measurements, ideas, etc for all my HT stuff as well as other projects and ideas for other things. Easy to refer back to and carry around with you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-05-2012, 05:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewa View Post

Thanks, I am keen to get them behind the screen. The speakers I have are the following :

http://sgraudio.com.au/products/convex/cx4f.html

I have a room that is 6m x 6m, looking to make it about 5m wide and have a storage area outside the main room. So the screen I am thinking about a CIH of about 130"
http://www.projectorscreens.com.au/1...-standard.html

I am open to a stage or stand, but I worry it will elevate the tweeters above ear level. Also the room height is just on or under when lined at 2m

It appears that the lower 4 drivers are doing sub 80hz duty. If that is truly the case, I probably wouldn't worry *too* much about the screen frame. You'll be putting AT material under the screen anyway, so it would be just the frame itself that is the issue, and with sub 80hz, shouldn't be impacted all that much. Just make sure that the tweeters, (on top) are approximately at ear level.

post #7 of 8 Old 05-05-2012, 05:24 AM

Liked: 10
RMK! Has a thread here titled "new space" where he talks about creating his home theater. He uses JTR speakers behind his AT screen. You could ask him.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-07-2012, 05:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuttle View Post

RMK! Has a thread here titled "new space" where he talks about creating his home theater. He uses JTR speakers behind his AT screen. You could ask him.

Or he could give us a call for advice. I use a curved AT screen with all three speakers behind the screen.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page