Black Diamond Zero Edge Upgrade - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 05-06-2012, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
avsform1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 492
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Currently I have a LG CF181 and DLA-RS2 with 106" Draper Onyx HiDef Grey screen. Eventually I will up grade to a new PJ, but in the meantime I want get more use out of the current projectors that I have. With that said I am thinking about upgrading my screen to a Black Diamond Zero edge. A few questions:

1) will the current projectors benefit with an Zero edge screen (14' from the screen, in a completely light controlled.)

2) When I do upgrade to a new PJ, how will I choose a projector that can take advantage of the Zero Edge. (type of PJ I am upgrading to is an RS55, VPL-vw9ES, LED or Laser.

3) Keeping in mind of 1 and 2, Which gain version of the Zero Edge 0.8, 1.4 or the 2.7?
avsform1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old 05-06-2012, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
airscapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsform1 View Post

Currently I have a LG CF181 and DLA-RS2 with 106" Draper Onyx HiDef Grey screen. Eventually I will up grade to a new PJ, but in the meantime I want get more use out of the current projectors that I have. With that said I am thinking about upgrading my screen to a Black Diamond Zero edge. A few questions:

1) will the current projectors benefit with an Zero edge screen (14' from the screen, in a completely light controlled.)

2) When I do upgrade to a new PJ, how will I choose a projector that can take advantage of the Zero Edge. (type of PJ I am upgrading to is an RS55, VPL-vw9ES, LED or Laser.

3) Keeping in mind of 1 and 2, Which gain version of the Zero Edge 0.8, 1.4 or the 2.7?

So you are going to watch with the lights on? Is that what you mean by get more use out of it?
If not I would think you are wasting your money on a product meant to be used in a lighted room.. Look a the picture on the website.. not really a bat cave there..
http://www.screeninnovations.com/com...ond-zero-edge/
airscapes is online now  
post #3 of 6 Old 05-06-2012, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
DigsMovies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Arriving Somewhere...
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsform1 View Post

Currently I have a LG CF181 and DLA-RS2 with 106" Draper Onyx HiDef Grey screen. Eventually I will up grade to a new PJ, but in the meantime I want get more use out of the current projectors that I have. With that said I am thinking about upgrading my screen to a Black Diamond Zero edge. A few questions:

1) will the current projectors benefit with an Zero edge screen (14' from the screen, in a completely light controlled.)

2) When I do upgrade to a new PJ, how will I choose a projector that can take advantage of the Zero Edge. (type of PJ I am upgrading to is an RS55, VPL-vw9ES, LED or Laser.

3) Keeping in mind of 1 and 2, Which gain version of the Zero Edge 0.8, 1.4 or the 2.7?

As to a projector "benefiting from" or "taking advantage" of a Zero Edge screen, keep in mind that the zero edge is just an aesthetic. The zero edge is made to look more like a flat panel, and have more of a room friendly minimalistic look. The choice of using a zero edge is completely independent of the specific projector used.

The choice of screen material is very dependent on the projector and also the room. The black diamond was created for rooms that have ambient light and/or light colored walls and ceilings. It does a good job in those applications, but not without costs. There is a trade-off.

You can get the black diamond screen material in a conventional frame, or in a zero edge frame.
DigsMovies is offline  
post #4 of 6 Old 05-06-2012, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
avsform1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 492
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigsMovies View Post

As to a projector "benefiting from" or "taking advantage" of a Zero Edge screen, keep in mind that the zero edge is just an aesthetic. The zero edge is made to look more like a flat panel, and have more of a room friendly minimalistic look. The choice of using a zero edge is completely independent of the specific projector used.

The choice of screen material is very dependent on the projector and also the room. The black diamond was created for rooms that have ambient light and/or light colored walls and ceilings. It does a good job in those applications, but not without costs. There is a trade-off.

You can get the black diamond screen material in a conventional frame, or in a zero edge frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

So you are going to watch with the lights on? Is that what you mean by get more use out of it?
If not I would think you are wasting your money on a product meant to be used in a lighted room.. Look a the picture on the website.. not really a bat cave there..
http://www.screeninnovations.com/com...ond-zero-edge/


I understand that is esthetics, however SI has the demo with non BD screen and the BD screen in a dark with a PJ with the geometry graph up. The is significant difference from the darkest dark (black) and the light light (green lines forming the pattern). I also understand they are marketing the product and my have the dirt cheapest screen available.

What I want to do is get a really great screen that complements my RS2, significantly, but knowing that the RS2 will be replaced within a a year or 2 and where the new PJ will take advantage of the screen.
avsform1 is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 10-01-2012, 12:35 PM
Member
 
BlakeSI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsform1 View Post



I understand that is esthetics, however SI has the demo with non BD screen and the BD screen in a dark with a PJ with the geometry graph up. The is significant difference from the darkest dark (black) and the light light (green lines forming the pattern). I also understand they are marketing the product and my have the dirt cheapest screen available.


What I want to do is get a really great screen that complements my RS2, significantly, but knowing that the RS2 will be replaced within a a year or 2 and where the new PJ will take advantage of the screen.

Actually, when ever you see a video produced by the SI staff that shows a white motorized rolling up in front of a Black Diamond. The motorized is our own Performance Motorized with our Gama White 1.1 gain 4K rated materials model # TPMEX100GA. This is as good a white screen as any on the market and not a POS screen. I feel obligated to defend our TPM as it has traveled the world with me and gets about as much recognition and props as the Washington Generals. ( google it)

I would recommend you a 1.4 gain Black Diamond Zero Edge to compliment your RS2. Your black levels are already very good, what you need is a little help with POP. The RS2 for its day was and still is a great projector but it is a tad on the dim side. That being mentioned you might think about a new bulb soon.
BlakeSI is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 03-07-2013, 02:10 PM
Newbie
 
Johnny B. Goode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The 2.7 gain BD seems almost perfect as it doesn't have hotspots, wider viewing angle, supports passive 3D etc. Which are the disadvantages? When should one choose one of the lower gain BD?
Johnny B. Goode is offline  
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off