Problem after problem! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-18-2012, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well, about a week ago I got on here just to see if I could blow some money and was scoping out new subs. Man, I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger. 3 days ago my receiver died (2 months old) and just last night, my very old but very trusty screen quit rolling up. I think this thing is about 8 years old, its a 120" 4:3 so it was definately not perfect, always had to hit the stop button at the right time so it would fit in the 16:9 format I always use.

Anyways, 3 questions.

1: Is my screen fixable? The motor took a slightly higher tune, and quit going up or down. I went over and slightly pulled down on the screen, while I had it in 'going down' mode and it basically fell straight down relatively fast. Bad motor? Bad connection? Just old? If it could be fixed, I would like to start there.

2: If I can't fix it, I need some advice. My screen was white, what are the advantages of grey vs white vs etc? What do you all reccomend?

3: If My screen was 4:3 and 120" corner to corner, approx what would my screen size be in 16:9 mode? I can't believe I never measured. I'm assuming its about 96" - 110" or so, but that is purely a guess. I'm on monoprices screens right now and if I have to buy a new one, would like to upgrade. Bigger and better, right?

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-18-2012, 07:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Your screen is 96" x 72"
What screen do you have? Since you are stopping it part way down, I assume that it is not a tab tension screen. If that is the case, to me it may not be worth fixing for two reasons, cost and finding parts.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #3 of 8 Old 05-18-2012, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Richvision. I have no idea what a tab tension screen is. Yes I was indeed stopping it part of the way down.
post #4 of 8 Old 05-22-2012, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekhonda View Post

3: If My screen was 4:3 and 120" corner to corner, approx what would my screen size be in 16:9 mode?

96 inch wide 16:9 format is 110" diagonal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Since you are stopping it part way down, I assume that it is not a tab tension screen.

Hmmm, my tab-tensioned screen doesn't have to be dropped all the way. I have 24 inch of black drop and can stop it anywhere and still get tension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekhonda View Post

Richvision. I have no idea what a tab tension screen is. Yes I was indeed stopping it part of the way down.

tab-tension screens are curved on the sides and have a string that goes through tabs on each side of the screen to pull sideways tension on it to keep it flat.

post #5 of 8 Old 05-23-2012, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

I see, Thanks for the explanation!

No, No tabs to keep tension, although for my screen being 6 or 7 years old, multiple moves, and constantly up and down, I really have never noticed a wrinkle, and I definately stop it in 16:9 mode.

I ended up doing nothing. I dismounted the screen and then a buddy and I rolled it about 3 times aroundand hung it back up and surprisingly the projector fit the screen! (well, ok, it's about an inch into the black on the bottom)

Anyways, Now I basically just have a fixed screen which defeats the purpose of rolling it up and down, but I can live with it for now. Thanks.
LL
post #6 of 8 Old 05-24-2012, 08:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post

96 inch wide 16:9 format is 110" diagonal.

Hmmm, my tab-tensioned screen doesn't have to be dropped all the way. I have 24 inch of black drop and can stop it anywhere and still get tension.

tab-tension screens are curved on the sides and have a string that goes through tabs on each side of the screen to pull sideways tension on it to keep it flat.

The tension cable is following a curve from top to bottom. This means the cable is longer than the screen is tall. As you roll up the screen, you are reducing the length of the screen and the cable the same amount. This means the tension is decreased slightly as you roll up the screen. To keep proper tension on the screen as you roll it up, you would need to reduce the length of the cable slightly more than the reduction of the screen length. At least that is the theory behind using a tab tensioned screen in the fully lowered position.

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #7 of 8 Old 05-24-2012, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Makes sense. I adjusted the drop stop first, and then the tension. So if I ever want to drop lower, I should check the tension afterwards. Thanks!

post #8 of 8 Old 05-25-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post

Makes sense. I adjusted the drop stop first, and then the tension. So if I ever want to drop lower, I should check the tension afterwards. Thanks!

No problem. A lot of people do not know that about tab tension screens, that is why I posted a response to your post.

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page