Screen Shipping Question to you all - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-24-2012, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ordered a screen the other week (no need to blast the company ordered from, screen brand or shipping company yet as I am just looking for some opinions). The box showed up damaged and a look inside showed the it ripped through the wrapping and tore some of the black velvet off the frame. I contacted the company, declined the product and a new screen is to be manufactured for me at no charge and no additional shipping. I contacted the company and asked for a refund of the entire shipping charge and they still should have to send the new screen for free. The company said they already paid the shipping company and I would need to contact them directly. I asked if this is a shipping company they use frequently and they were not sure as the person was not in the logistics department. I then indicated that I feel they are pushing this to me and it should be them to contact the company. They said they would not.

I can't help to think this is a like hiring a general contractor and his subcontractor messing up the work and the general contractor says it is not his problem and I have to get the subcontractor to issue a refund. Maybe my analogy is off.

While I am appreciative that they are willing to replace the screen and there is no further shipping, I feel irritated that the shipping company essentially still gets paid for this shipment when they screwed it up. The shipping fee was $127 so it was not cheap.

Just looking for thoughts on whether I am being petty or not. I am not a person that looks for something for nothing but am in the service industry and feel the shipping company should refund the shipping fee and eat this one. Further, I feel I should not be the one to have to make the calls and it irritates me and makes me think less of a company who pushes their clients off on a third party that they choose (not me). They certainly would likely have more weight in such a request than I would, at least that is what I think. Let me know what you all think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2012, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Let it go.

Are you trying to make the shipping company pay for their damage?

You initially paid for shipping of one screen to your home/work in undamaged condition.

Assuming that the replacement arrives unscathed, you have received one screen shipped undamaged.

No harm, no foul.

Let the manu take it up with the shipper for the additional shipping.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken2011 View Post

I ordered a screen the other week (no need to blast the company ordered from, screen brand or shipping company yet as I am just looking for some opinions). The box showed up damaged and a look inside showed the it ripped through the wrapping and tore some of the black velvet off the frame. I contacted the company, declined the product and a new screen is to be manufactured for me at no charge and no additional shipping. I contacted the company and asked for a refund of the entire shipping charge and they still should have to send the new screen for free. The company said they already paid the shipping company and I would need to contact them directly. I asked if this is a shipping company they use frequently and they were not sure as the person was not in the logistics department. I then indicated that I feel they are pushing this to me and it should be them to contact the company. They said they would not.

I can't help to think this is a like hiring a general contractor and his subcontractor messing up the work and the general contractor says it is not his problem and I have to get the subcontractor to issue a refund. Maybe my analogy is off.

While I am appreciative that they are willing to replace the screen and there is no further shipping, I feel irritated that the shipping company essentially still gets paid for this shipment when they screwed it up. The shipping fee was $127 so it was not cheap.

Just looking for thoughts on whether I am being petty or not. I am not a person that looks for something for nothing but am in the service industry and feel the shipping company should refund the shipping fee and eat this one. Further, I feel I should not be the one to have to make the calls and it irritates me and makes me think less of a company who pushes their clients off on a third party that they choose (not me). They certainly would likely have more weight in such a request than I would, at least that is what I think. Let me know what you all think.

The shipping company does not get paid. The shipping company has to ship the replacement screen for free or refund the shipping costs to the vendor if the vendor uses another service. In your scenario, it would be in the shippers advantage to mess up all the time and double his profit. It does not work that way.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Old 05-28-2012, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Completely agree with the responses. Your order was damaged and the merchant you bought it from is replacing it at absolutely no cost to you. I don't understand what your gripe is, nor why you want to get involved with the shipper. By the way, given what you described I wouldn't hesitate to buy from your merchant. Sounds like they have outstanding customer service and support.