best screen for me. i am a screen noob. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-25-2012, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hey guys. i am gonna be purchasing the optoma ml500 and the Epson 710 HD soon and i was wondering what your opinions for these would be screen wise. the room is in the basement and its pretty dark during the day because i have blocked all lighting for when i start to stuff down there for the media room. so no lighting. and i don't wanna spend to much. i am actually trying to go cheap. i hear elite screens are like that. and i could also get behr silver screen paint and go that rout.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2012, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
You're getting annoyed after no response after only five hours when you post a vague, open-ended question late on the Friday afternoon of Memorial Day weekend...

yeah, makes sense to me.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

i am looking at the amount of people who have looked at the thread. lol but whatever. its fine.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:05 AM

Your post reads like you're inclined toward a DIY route rather than a manufactured, or DIY frame with some form of commercial screen fabric. You may want to go that route if only to give you some time to finalize aspect ratio, size with respect to screen wall, room, view distance, screen gain, etc. Suggest you post a similar question, if you haven't already, in the DIY screen subforum. An inexpensive start though would be to purchase several yards of white polyester from a fabric shop (Hancock, JoAnn, Hobby Lobby), cut or fold to a starting size and affix it to the screen wall. Then go from there - lots of good info in the DIY section. If you rule out DIY, at least you'll have a better handle on what to look for in a commercial screen.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

well that's the thing. i see people making these amazing homemade screens. i just wanna know what's the best fabric for one screen and the best materials for a behr silver screen paint screen. like should i use drywall or paneling. etc. i want to do one of each
Old 05-28-2012, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
If you want to buy a cheap screen, I bought a 106 inch Matte White acoustically transparent Accuscreen that I'm thrilled with. You can get it for around 300 bucks online. Sometimes Costco has them on sale for cheaper. The frame is very solidly built aluminum (covered with black felt) and the screen is some kind of washable spandex. I mounted my center speaker behind it and it had no impact on the sound quality whatsoever. You're in a light controlled environment so definitely go for a white screen to get the most pop from your image. I've tried gray screens and paint and find they make the image a little too dull for my taste, even if they improve blacks somewhat.