Are perforated screens just as good as non-perforated...? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 73 Old 05-31-2012, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow a screen thread is now, almost, a speaker thread. Only in America and only on AVS!

A few quick comments.

Please no flames but it was mentioned, or misread by me, that speaker sensitivity is not important or critical in deterring if said speaker will fill a room. Well from what I know speaker placement (wall mount, corner, mid room etc), distance to main listening position AND speaker sensitivity determine required amp power.

Next reference level volume was mention a few post back. I thought ref was 85 - 90 dB with 105dB+ peaks. Yeah 105 peaks are not to to bad but sustained 90db ish material is still pretty loud.

As far as brand A vs brand B that is always like discussing religion and politics it seems. I think sensitivity, dispersion (both horizontal and vertical) and seating distance will determine speakers that can make the grade.

There are several great speakers that can make the grade up to 10' from the MLP but at 16' (1st row) and 20' (second row) narrows the field.

Mike Miles

ICR [ Sales Consulting and Small Part-Time AV shop, very small...  ]

Process Integration, Inc. [ contract sales consultant ]

Eastern Shore of Maryland

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 73 Old 05-31-2012, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Sorry one more speaker post in a screen thread.

HTG74, Are you sure you didn't see reviews on the Paradigm Sub2?

Now back to screens (with a speaker twist ).

HTG74 has about an 18' wide room so why not go 16ft wide. Kidding...

A 14 footer will be about 15' wide with frame and will be 2.5 to 3' off the floor so finding good speakers that will fit under the screen (not to mention the viewers head will be above the tweeter and midrange driver, not to to bad for row 1) and floor standing units will be 16' apart (and can only be a foot or so in width to fit in the room) you almost have to go AT.

Now you can get a smaller screen but that is blasphemy!

Mike Miles

ICR [ Sales Consulting and Small Part-Time AV shop, very small...  ]

Process Integration, Inc. [ contract sales consultant ]

Eastern Shore of Maryland

post #63 of 73 Old 05-31-2012, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 53
High sensitivity doesn't mean poor sound. There is a 5.5 db difference between an S8 and Triad Platinum. They are both great speakers, the difference is in the design. The Triad has two 10" woofers while the S8 has four 7" woofers. If everything is equal the Triad should easily play lower but it doesn't. Why?

By designing the S8 to with -2db at 39hz they are pushing their drivers to its frequency limit. When you do this you have more distortion, to reduce the distortion you have to reduce output. The Triads are -3d at 60hz with larger woofers. They are designed to be used with a sub so they didn't design their speakers to play the lower frequencies that the sub will handle. This is going to have more output and cleaner.

To get more output on the higher frequencies they use a control lens. This is similar to cupping your hands around your mouth when yelling. The sound will travel farther. A speaker without a control lens, wave guide, horn or compression driver is giving up some dynamics compared to a speaker with these features.

This control lens will determine the off axis response of these high frequencies. This can have advantages and disadvantages depending on the room and how it interacts with it. The dispersion properties of a speaker are going to determine an acoustical treatment plan.

Each one of these speakers sound terrific if used in its intended application. I wouldn't use a Triad platinum in a 2 channel system without a sub. You'll see alot of people using the S8 that way.

Use the equipment that is right for your application. HTguy you really should be researching a good HT designer first. Trying to figure out your equipment first is putting the cart before the horse.
post #64 of 73 Old 05-31-2012, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobL View Post

HTguy you really should be researching a good HT designer first. Trying to figure out your equipment first is putting the cart before the horse.

Yes, I am...

But I like hearing others opinions, on here, as well.

That way I can talk to the designer somewhat intelligently - and give him ideas that I have learned here.

So, I am basically looking at JBL Synthesis K2 9.4 Array, Triad Platinum 9.12 set-up , and Porcella (not sure what set-up).
post #65 of 73 Old 06-01-2012, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 775
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeTheaterGuy74 View Post

Well, according to every Sub 2 professional review I have read on the net, everyone raved about the Sub 2 saying that is was their new reference sub, giving it 5 out of 5 starts, naming it the product of the year, etc...

I didn't read one professional review where it didn't get 5 out of 5 starts and the reviewer wasn't raving about it...

So, again, I am only going by what I "know"...

Understood.

There is no "mass produced" consumer application with the LMS Ultra. I wouldn't doubt that the Sub 2 is a great sounding product, I would expect nothing less one of the most expensive subs available on the consumer market. It will be hard to get that kind of output with such a small foot print.

All I'm saying is that you could get 4 LMS Ultras, the amplification to push them and have them custom installed for less than one Sub 2. I would bet that 1 properly setup Ultra would get close to the Sub 2. Now, only 2 of the Ultras would wipe the floor with the Sub 2.

Sorry I'm contributing the off topic ramblings. I'm going to stay out of the LCR discussion as I see you have a few others that are jocking their opinions. Honestly, I haven't heard any of the options you are now considering, but if I had to I would put my money on the K2 Synthesis.

Keep in mind though, the Klipsch commercial line I referenced in my earlier post is made and used for full size movie theaters vs home applications. Meaning... BIG sound, maybe too large for your application.
post #66 of 73 Old 06-01-2012, 01:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Understood.

There is no "mass produced" consumer application with the LMS Ultra. I wouldn't doubt that the Sub 2 is a great sounding product, I would expect nothing less one of the most expensive subs available on the consumer market. It will be hard to get that kind of output with such a small foot print.

All I'm saying is that you could get 4 LMS Ultras, the amplification to push them and have them custom installed for less than one Sub 2. I would bet that 1 properly setup Ultra would get close to the Sub 2. Now, only 2 of the Ultras would wipe the floor with the Sub 2.

Sorry I'm contributing the off topic ramblings. I'm going to stay out of the LCR discussion as I see you have a few others that are jocking their opinions. Honestly, I haven't heard any of the options you are now considering, but if I had to I would put my money on the K2 Synthesis.

Keep in mind though, the Klipsch commercial line I referenced in my earlier post is made and used for full size movie theaters vs home applications. Meaning... BIG sound, maybe too large for your application.

The LMS 5400 is one of if not the best sub driver out there. I would definitely consider four of them (sealed application) for your room.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #67 of 73 Old 06-01-2012, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Nah, I suggested them too. The Jubilee is sold as a commercial product for theaters and the like, but it was designed by Paul Klipsch as the Klipschorn replacement. Indeed, many people use them in the home. I will too some day (although I really like my Klipschorns, for HT and for stereo music, including low volume jazz trios).

post #68 of 73 Old 06-01-2012, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

The LMS 5400 is one of if not the best sub driver out there. I would definitely consider four of them (sealed application) for your room.

Agreed. You can't really go wrong with it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post

Nah, I suggested them too. The Jubilee is sold as a commercial product for theaters and the like, but it was designed by Paul Klipsch as the Klipschorn replacement. Indeed, many people use them in the home. I will too some day (although I really like my Klipschorns, for HT and for stereo music, including low volume jazz trios).

Yeah, I hear they are all around spectacular. I've heard they run about $7,500 a piece new... Not sure exactly how accurate that is given I only have one source of info.
post #69 of 73 Old 06-01-2012, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Sounds about right, but for a pair.

post #70 of 73 Old 06-02-2012, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post

True that there aren't mag reviews of the Jubilee for example, but there are some for other high sensitivity speakers such as the Klipsch La Scala II (stereophile liked it quite a bit) and the Klipschorn (precursor to the Jubilee).

I have never heard them, but those La Scala II speakers are probably the ugliest speakers I have ever seen, lol...

I realize they will be hidden behind the screen, but wow...lol
post #71 of 73 Old 06-02-2012, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Matter of taste I guess. I much prefer the woodwork of the La Scala bass bin than looking at a huge speaker grill. Same for Klipschorns... Ièd rather look at a nice veneer front panel than a black speaker grill.

post #72 of 73 Old 06-09-2012, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You just confirmed I'm not crazy! biggrin.gif
post #73 of 73 Old 06-09-2012, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You just confirmed I'm not crazy! biggrin.gif

I have 2 on order now... My room is only 1400 cubes so I'm hoping it will pressurize the space "signifigantly"....
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page