Stewart screens - FireHawk, StudioTek, or...? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-29-2012, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi:

I am looking at getting a Stewart Cina-W (curved) screen.

I am looking at 14' wide screen.

My room measurements are 18' wide x 26' long x 10 feet high.

There will be two rows of seating - 1st row will have 3 curved seats; 2nd row will have 5 curved seats.

Now...

I really do not wish/want to paint the entire room flat black - or dark flat gray, etc...

We would rather have theater crimson red and gold colors...

I also would like the stair lights (those mini night lights) to be kept on during the movie - other than that, the room will be totally dark.

I was looking at the StudioTek screen, but in reading reviews of it they all seemed to say that with the StudioTek screen your room has to be painted black, including the ceiling, and there can be NO light whatsoever - meaning you cannot see your hand in front of your face.

What would be the appropriate Stewart screen type for my room?

I have not bought the projector yet, but I am looking at a high lumen (6000+) like a Runco, DPI, or Barco.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-29-2012, 10:55 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeTheaterGuy74 View Post

Hi:

I am looking at getting a Stewart Cina-W (curved) screen.

I am looking at 14' wide screen.

My room measurements are 18' wide x 26' long x 10 feet high.

There will be two rows of seating - 1st row will have 3 curved seats; 2nd row will have 5 curved seats.

Now...

I really do not wish/want to paint the entire room flat black - or dark flat gray, etc...

We would rather have theater crimson red and gold colors...

I also would like the stair lights (those mini night lights) to be kept on during the movie - other than that, the room will be totally dark.

I was looking at the StudioTek screen, but in reading reviews of it they all seemed to say that with the StudioTek screen your room has to be painted black, including the ceiling, and there can be NO light whatsoever - meaning you cannot see your hand in front of your face.

What would be the appropriate Stewart screen type for my room?

I have not bought the projector yet, but I am looking at a high lumen (6000+) like a Runco, DPI, or Barco.

Thanks!

Hi Home Theater Guy,

Sounds like a great space. If you do the Red/Gold motif I would highly recommend you keep the front wall where the screen is installed completely black, and if possible keep the side walls a neutral dark gray or black for about 3 feet out into the room. This will keep those colors from polluting the screen and skewing your perception of the correct color provided you get a professional to calibrate it.

With the kind of light output you will have from whichever 3-chip DLP you go with you won't need a Firehawk screen. I would advise you on a Stewart StudioTek 130 which has less hotspotting, color shift, and the same gain characteristics.

Kevin Miller
ISF Technician
Co-Instructor ISF Level I & II Seminars
Display Product Development Consultant
kevin@isftv.com
Co-founder tweaktv.com
post #3 of 6 Old 05-29-2012, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Kevin:

Thank you very much!

Yes, I forgot to mention that the front wall and surround will be black...

I have attached pictures of theaters we like.

Great to hear that I can use the StudioTek Screen in my set-up.

It is supposedly the "reference" screen for many...

BTW: Does anyone know who makes the seats in the last picture - I love leather, but those seats look comfy!

Thanks again!
LL
LL
LL
post #4 of 6 Old 05-29-2012, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

In the right room, I would go with the StudioTek. If you have a long throw ratio and the proper seating location, hot spotting will not be a problem with the Firehawk. This is important. I have a Firehawk, and I was concerned about hot spotting. I wanted to be able to use the system when there is some light in the room, and some of my walls are a light tan color, so I went with the Firehawk. I'm not seeing any hot spotting when watching actual content, and I've been looking for it. This is a relief. I'm using a bright projector (Sony 1000). Throw ratio is about 1.9. Not everyone needs the ambient light properties of the Firehawk, but those that do shouldn't be afraid of hot spotting, as long as they pay very careful attention to proper application and installation. I'll admit, I find the light grey color of the Firehawk very pleasing when it's not being used in my non-dedicated room.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-29-2012, 01:07 PM

Liked: 53
Seating looks like Acoustic Innovations. Many furniture companies will make the chairs to your liking. Fortress Seating has a similar model called the Guild.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-29-2012, 05:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeTheaterGuy74 View Post

Hi Kevin:

Thank you very much!

Yes, I forgot to mention that the front wall and surround will be black...

I have attached pictures of theaters we like.

Great to hear that I can use the StudioTek Screen in my set-up.

It is supposedly the "reference" screen for many...

BTW: Does anyone know who makes the seats in the last picture - I love leather, but those seats look comfy!

Thanks again!

If you like those designs, then you should talk with Dennis Erskine, who does our theater design service. I am almost positive the first theater is one of his. If we can help you shoot us an email.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page