16:10 projector with 16:9 screen- Truthful info sought - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 05-31-2012, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greetings All: I'm seeking facts re: what to expect when viewing images from a native 16:10 projector on a 16:9 screen. See, while it's always ideal to match the screen's aspect ratio to the projector's native aspect ratio, can anyone tell me what to expect if I put a scaler before the input of the projector, (to help mitigate multiple laptop resolution problems), and want to project onto a 16:9 screen. The pixel width for both aspects is the same; it's the vertical pixel count that is different between them. I realize that if the projector is set to display @ 16:10, the image on the 16:9 screen will be overshot above and below the white section of the screen. But what happens when the projector is configured (via its menu/ rs232) to display @ 16:9? Is the content that would normally be displayed at top and bottom of image cut off? Or is the image vertically compressed to show the entire image and the requisite 'un-needed' pixels in the projector engine turned off? Or what? A call to the projector mfr's tech support yielded the answer that I'd see black bars on the sides of the image.. umm.. no, .. so I couldn't get very far with that tech.

I'm finding that many folksactually do not have a clear valid understanding of this.

Which is ok.. as long as you aren't claiming to know and then offering erroneous info.

I would love to hear from folks who truly understand and can explain.

Thanks
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page