Inexpensive Starter Screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-04-2012, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I am building a projection setup for the first time in my basement. I am looking for an HD projector like the Epson 8350 (or Panny/NEC equivalent - are they better? I have no need for HD and want good bang for buck). I have a few noob questions.

Room dimensions are 22' by 14'. There are 10-foot ceilings, walls are wood so painting is not an option. The room has some small windows (it is a basement, they are small windows) but direct sunlight is not a problem. And the screen will be used mostly at night. I would like an inexpensive screen, it does not have to be retractable but nice if it was, but it needs to work with my 10' ceilings.

I plan to have a 110" or 120" screen 42" off the floor, which means there is 2-3 feet of space at the top of the wall that will not receive projection. Do screens usually have excess material so the 16:9 projection area can hang several feet below the screen mount? Or will I need to mount the screen a few feet short of the ceiling?

Can someone give me a link to Projector People or Amazon for a good solution?

Thanks!

Andrew

--------------------------------

I posted this in the projector forum but add it here in case someone has an opinion.

I plan to flush mount the projector on the ceiling. I can mount it as close or as far as needed (room dimensions are 22' by 14'. There are 10-foot ceilings). Is it better to mount close or far away for best performance on a 110" screen? If I were to mount it at the back of the room on a shelf (22' throw) would there be a brightness degradation?

I ask this because I used the online projector tool (cant post link) and it seemed like brightest performance was if it was placed close.

Also, If I offset the projector to the side, does it impact performance? This would allow me to better hide it and it appears the Epson allows some offset. All things equal, I will do this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-04-2012, 02:10 PM

You ask some very loaded questions here, but I will get the ball rolling.

1. First off, since you are ceiling mounting you need to make sure whatever screen you look at is angular reflective, NOT retro-reflective. Most inexpensive gain screens are glass-bead, which is retro-reflective and won't perform well in your situation.

2. The distance you hang the projector from the screen will be PJ dependent. As a general rule, most PJs give the most light when they are placed as close to the screen as possible. However, you get better viewing angles (less hot-spotting) the farther you move the PJ back. So it is a bit of a compromise either way.

3. Most screens only have a few extra inches of material at the top, so you will likely have some blank wall above the screen. HOWEVER, most lower price DLP PJs do not have any vertical lens shift, so if you decide to go with one of these you won't really have any choice as to what height you mount the screen. It will be whatever height is determined by the PJ offset. If you go with an LCD or LCOS/SXRD PJ you will have vertical lens shift, and be able to decide (within a range) at what height to mount the screen.

It's toe-tappingly tragic!
post #3 of 3 Old 06-04-2012, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnz34me View Post

You ask some very loaded questions here, but I will get the ball rolling.

First off, since you are ceiling mounting you need to make sure whatever screen you look at is angular reflective, NOT retro-reflective. Most inexpensive gain screens are glass-bead, which is retro-reflective and won't perform well in your situation.

Thanks. The loaded questions are just from the fact I am learning.

I assume that a product such as the Elite MaxWhite screen has such a gain profile, as it appears that gain is angular independent? Is my understanding of the gain chart correct?

http://www.elitescreens.com/index.ph...mid=23&lang=en
Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page