mounting screen thru a drop ceiling - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-12-2012, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 48
researching some screens as a newbie to the subject. I have a dropped 2x4 panel ceiling and was wondering if anyone put up a screen thru a dropped ceiling? Guess I was wondering what "Ceiling installation" means when you look at some of these screens such as Vapex or Elite. I am totally new to this subject, just picking the best brains on the web. thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-13-2012, 07:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post

researching some screens as a newbie to the subject. I have a dropped 2x4 panel ceiling and was wondering if anyone put up a screen thru a dropped ceiling? Guess I was wondering what "Ceiling installation" means when you look at some of these screens such as Vapex or Elite. I am totally new to this subject, just picking the best brains on the web. thanks in advance

You have a couple ways to go. Companies build recessed in-ceiling screens. These are made with a slot or a trap door. You install these screens flush with your ceiling and they have a ledge for the acoustical grid to sit on. You run tile to sit on this ledge. A cheap route would be to install a regular screen above the ceiling and make a slot in the ceiling using mains and tee's. This slot needs to be located precisely so that it lines up with the drop down screen. Also if electric, you would need to set the upper limit so that the screen retracts to the point that you want. My brother and I put in a set up like this for him, but it was in a plaster ceiling. He has a slot that is just slightly larger than the bottom batten bar and when retracted the batten bar stops in the slot, slightly above finished ceiling height. it works very well. Since part of his ceiling area went to attic space, we boxed in the area for the screen, so that there would not be any thermal loss.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #3 of 8 Old 06-13-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Typically drop ceilings have gaps that are much smaller than the height of a standard electric screen body. I am building a semi-box, 3 inches tall, into which my electric screen will be mounted. The screen casing will occupy space lower than this semi-box, but the ceiling will be mounted flush with the bottom.

post #4 of 8 Old 06-14-2012, 09:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post

Typically drop ceilings have gaps that are much smaller than the height of a standard electric screen body. I am building a semi-box, 3 inches tall, into which my electric screen will be mounted. The screen casing will occupy space lower than this semi-box, but the ceiling will be mounted flush with the bottom.

I am not following what you are saying. I am very familiar with drop ceilings. The slot in the ceiling can be any size that you make it, since you would have to build it yourself using a couple of mains with a short piece of Tee pop riveted to the mains. If it was mine, I would make the slot just slightly larger than the bottom batten bar.

Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #5 of 8 Old 06-19-2012, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

The gap I was referring to isn't horizontal, but the vertical gap between the ceiling and the floor joists it is suspended on. Sorry, that could have been clearer! wink.gif

post #6 of 8 Old 06-20-2012, 08:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

The gap I was referring to isn't horizontal, but the vertical gap between the ceiling and the floor joists it is suspended on. Sorry, that could have been clearer! wink.gif

Okay. For most people there should be plenty of room (if the joist space is clear). With 2 x 10 joists you have 9-1/4" of space, plus the gap between the bottom of the joists and the ceiling grid. We just built a larger wood box, that was attached to the side of a joist. Then we shimmed out the side of the box so that the screen was sitting where we wanted it to drop down. In our case the box was there to seal off the slot opening in the ceiling, to keep from losing conditioned air into the attic above. Half the screen space was above attic space and the other half had a 2nd floor room above it. The box also kept the screen housing from getting dusty.

post #7 of 8 Old 06-20-2012, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Right. That's true. I didn't think of that because my screen happens to run perpendicular to the joists, and has to sit underneath. Ah well...

post #8 of 8 Old 06-20-2012, 03:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Right. That's true. I didn't think of that because my screen happens to run perpendicular to the joists, and has to sit underneath. Ah well...

I just assumed that the screen was going between two joists, since you were talking about placing above a drop ceiling. That is because usually there is not enough room between the drop ceiling and the joists to go the other way with a screen. Now it is all a lot clearer. smile.gif

Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page