post #1 of 4 Old 06-14-2012, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I'm looking at at:
135 inch 16:9 screen -$175
139 inch 16:10 screen - $190ish

How will 16:9 content look on the 16:10 screen? Does that mean I'll get black bars? And how about 2.35:1 content? I know I'll get bars, but will the image be slightly bigger on a 16:10 because of that extra space?

I'm mainly getting the screen for my movie watching, tv shows, and very slight gaming. It's just a few dollars difference AND I'll get a few inches more (that's what she said). Will I experience any adverse effects if I go w/ the 16:10?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-14-2012, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedawg85 View Post

So I'm looking at at:
135 inch 16:9 screen -$175
139 inch 16:10 screen - $190ish

How will 16:9 content look on the 16:10 screen? Does that mean I'll get black bars?
If you have a standard FHD projector (1920x1080) Yes: either the top and/or the bottom of the screen won't be illuminated, or (if you zoom the image) the sides of the image will be cut off.
Quote:
And how about 2.35:1 content? I know I'll get bars, but will the image be slightly bigger on a 16:10 because of that extra space?
If you zoom the projected widescreen image to fill the screen to its edges, there will be larger areas at top and/or bottom which are not illuminated by the projector. Some people like to cover the non-illuminated screen areas with a dark non-reflective cloth, similar to what's done in commercial movie theaters. This usually works more easily with screens which have a 2.35:1 size ratio to start with.
Quote:
I'm mainly getting the screen for my movie watching, tv shows, and very slight gaming. It's just a few dollars difference AND I'll get a few inches more (that's what she said). Will I experience any adverse effects if I go w/ the 16:10?
Unless you have a 16:10 projector (i.e. one intended primarily for use with computers instead of home theater), parts of it won't be illuminated. If you watch much 4:3 ratio source material, you would be able to zoom them to get a slightly taller image, though.

I'd suggest saving your pennies and spending them on a quality Blu-ray movie wink.gif

Selden
post #3 of 4 Old 06-15-2012, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Wow, good info thanks! appreciate it.

Like you said, I'll save the $ instead! Just gotta buy my screen before July 1, damn Amazon starts charging tax to us Texas folk!
post #4 of 4 Old 06-15-2012, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
As Seldon said, if you have a 16:9 projector, then you want a 16:9 screen. 16:10 would just be a bother in every case. We have 16:10 at work, but so are the projectors.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page