How to get wrinkles out of Stewart Firehawk - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-14-2012, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I bought a Stewart firehawk from someone and he improperly rolled the screen. It's a fix frame. How do I get the wrinkles out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2012, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Provided the screen has no creases I would leave it fitted to the frame for A week or 2 and they usually disappear,

But if they remain as A last resort you can use A hair dryer held A few inches away aimed directly "behined" the wrinkles applied in A circular motion @ the back side of the screen paying careful attention not to over heat the vinyl ..

This will heat up the vinyl and course it to shrink back taking the wrinkles with it
Never perform this on the front of the screen surface or you will very likely damage it..
Old 05-01-2015, 03:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question

1. Anyone tried the hair drier solution with success

1.5 How do I clean the screen from "finger prints" "hair line dirt".
Strwart help text says mild detergent - can I use normal "washing up liquid"? (I am Swedish so not sure if that is covered in "detergents" )
"For tougher spots, use a solution of mild detergent and water. Rub lightly using a sponge. Blot with a damp sponge to absorb
excess water. Residual water marks will evaporate within a few minutes."

2. I have a severely wrinkled firehawk G3 that I just bought secnd hand and it has:
- wrinkles from "double folding" like it has been rolled flat and then folded over
- small indents in the screen material, but it does not seem like material has been scuffed, just a small dent into the material.

3. How did it happen?
- the guy who sent the screen rolled the screen material flat over two frame pieces just convered in one layer bubble wrap. Frame probably slid inside tube and made dents (unwise packing )
- The rest of the frame was also packe in bubble wrap and put in a long carton but no tape used to hold it together and too much "air" in the box so that it could move around.
- Package then likely very badly handled by transporter - you know how shipping can thrown our stuff around like a rag doll

4. Any tested Ideas that work? Do I dare using the blow drier?
It has only hung for a day but I can not see any improvement.
Will let it hang for a week and hope to get answers here by then since I think it will not improve.

Here are some photos of the issue

Livingroom
JVC DLA-X30@108" 16:9
Denon AVR3805, Emotiva XPA-5
Oppo BDP-93,PS-3,HTPC
JBL Ti6K,Ti1K,XTi20,REL Q150
Bedroom
Pioneer KRP-500M
Denon AVR3802,HTPC
QLN 603,601MK2,Wharfdale DFS

Last edited by [Europe]Boogiem; 05-01-2015 at 03:43 AM.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:42 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 133
I would agree with the previous poster, give it 1-2 weeks in a normal environment.

I had to clean my Da-Lite High Power screen on Saturday because I hadn't used it in a long time. Although the coating was supposed to be strong, my first session (warm water with a drop of Palmoilve) left noticable water stains.

I then switched to the mildest detergent I could think of, i.e. the Pampers baby wipes "sensitive" of my daughter. I had not thought it possible that the screen (from my old showroom) had collected so much patina, these baby wipes did a very good job (although I had to squeeze these to have a "wet" sponge and changed them repeatedly when they got to dry).

Just make sure that the manufacturer really recommends liquid detergents (I once ruined a Da-Lite Cinemavision screen listening to the erroneous advice of the local distributor).

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
Old 05-04-2015, 07:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 639
I would try the blow dryer technique (behind screen) and give it time - with a fixed frame that helps.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hello,
Mark Robinson here from Stewart Filmscreen. If you can find a way to do it, take the screen and frame outdoors, and allow sunlight to heat the screen from the back. This is much safer than attacking with a blow drier or heat gun. The fabric has a pretty strong memory for a nice flat condition and will get there. It may take a long time. I would expose the screen, in the frame, for an hour or so, with the back side facing the sun. This will make the screen fabric quite pliable and aid in the release of creasing.

For cleaning, the Simple Green "Clear" product is quite good. Avoid cleaners with alcohol E.G. window cleaning products. There is another product made by the "Mister Clean" folks, it's a sponge that you wet. I have used these when the screen is really soiled as sort of a last resort. I am unfamiliar with available products in Europe, but steer clear of achohol type cleaners and you should be o.k. You have to remember that you might need to treat the whole surface, especially if the prior owner was a smoker.

The creases will come out over time, no question about it. Be patient and enjoy your screen!

Mark Robinson
Vice President of Technology
Stewart Filmscreen

Old 05-11-2015, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by m Robinson View Post
Hello,
Mark Robinson here from Stewart Filmscreen. If you can find a way to do it, take the screen and frame outdoors, and allow sunlight to heat the screen from the back. This is much safer than attacking with a blow drier or heat gun. The fabric has a pretty strong memory for a nice flat condition and will get there. It may take a long time. I would expose the screen, in the frame, for an hour or so, with the back side facing the sun. This will make the screen fabric quite pliable and aid in the release of creasing.

For cleaning, the Simple Green "Clear" product is quite good. Avoid cleaners with alcohol E.G. window cleaning products. There is another product made by the "Mister Clean" folks, it's a sponge that you wet. I have used these when the screen is really soiled as sort of a last resort. I am unfamiliar with available products in Europe, but steer clear of achohol type cleaners and you should be o.k. You have to remember that you might need to treat the whole surface, especially if the prior owner was a smoker.

The creases will come out over time, no question about it. Be patient and enjoy your screen!
I had the same problem with my old Stewart screen and as posted above this worked on my screen. I called Stewart and they emailed me what is posted above. The only thing I didn't do is put it outside I just used a blow dryer and after a few times doing this they all went away. So don't worry it's all good they come out and my screen was in storage for a few years.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...oot-boxes.html
The STONE HAMMERS sub box build 4/20 cubic boxes tuned @ 16hz.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...land-area.html
2015 GTG meet Plainfield IL. (Chicago land area)
Old 05-11-2015, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I just had the same issue and Mark's advice is sound obviously. I did use a heat gun on the back to get a severe crease out. As long as you don't focus on one area to long, you shouldn't have any problems.

My cleaning didn't go as well. I used a damp cloth and it looks like I may have damaged a spot by rubbing it.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Stewart Firehawk G3