New Home Theater Setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-20-2012, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Folks,

Would like to get some recommendations on screen size for my home theater. The wife and I are finally ready to start building out our dedicated home theater room. The room dimensions are 20' deep by 14'10" wide. The wall where the screen will be is 14'10" wide by 8' tall. My ceiling angles down from 10ft in the back where the projector will be mounted to 8 ft in the front. We are going to paint the room a deep purple as the wife wants to do a mediterranean type of theme with love sacks and pillows on the floor. I know I know....sounds fruity but for me to be able to put in the components I want, she gets to decorate the room

I am looking at getting the Epson 8350 as my project since I really dont care about 3D and everything i read indicates that it is the best bang for the buck and Amazon has it for $1099. My question is how big of a screen should i get for this setup. I want 16:9 and am thinking about a 120" screen. Since this will be a dedicated theater room with a deep purple color, do I need to look at a grey screen with this projector? We have little kids so sometimes I would assume my wife would want some low light on in the background.

THanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-21-2012, 08:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 518
In a 120" size and at your price point, I would look at something with around 1.3 gain and I would use a white screen. A Da-Lite Cinema Vision would work. So would a Carada 118" Brilliant White. You could also look at an SI 120" using Solar 4K. You will want to pay attention to throw ratios for some of these screens so that you do not get hot spotting. If you would like a more detailed explanation for screen choices, shoot us an email.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #3 of 3 Old 06-21-2012, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 35
If you don't mind spending some extra coin compared to some I would look into the Stewart ST130 material at 1.3 gain.

According to most a great screen!

...Glenn smile.gif
Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page