Basement work being done - urgent question on screens and power requirements for automatic home theatre projector screens - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-25-2012, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

So, our basement is being done up. We are making sort of a home theatre area but we dont have alot of room, so we're making due with what we got. (sadly, it won't be a full private room, it will have an open hallway to the side, etc... a large open concept type basement). Anyways, friend suggested to put in plugs in the ceiling for a projector and the hdmi cables running to where the equipment at the front of the room would be, etc. We assumed we'd get a tv there, so never thought about a projector. Didn't really think we had the room for it, but it appears we may.

Thus, getting what is needed for a projector (if we decide not to get a tv) to be ceiling mounted but today, wife asked about a screen. We assumed a manual screen if we got one, but she asked about an electric one.

I would need to let electrician know tomorrow if we need a regular power outlet in the ceiling at the front of the room as well.

Also, is it just a power outlet where the screen would go for it's power cord? would any other types of cable ports need to be setup in the ceiling for the screen itself?

Sorry....new to this, and sadly, this all came up fairly late so just trying to get whatever is needed requested before the electrician and low voltage contractor do their work this week.

Regards,

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-25-2012, 07:29 PM

Liked: 53
Put a power outlet on the left side of the screen. Many (not all) have their power on the left. This really depends on the screen where everything should go and what wires you should run and to where. Is it going to be controlled with IR, IP, RS-232, 12V trigger or wall switch. You should probably try to figure out what screen and projector you plan to use.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-26-2012, 03:59 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
IR i imagine; that would be like a remote, right?

Sanjay
post #4 of 5 Old 06-26-2012, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
You don't mention anything about what you're planning for power conditioning or UPS. Are you just planning on plugging your equipment directly into a raw wall outlet? My advice is to first start with your power source, which should be a good power conditioner at the least, maybe even a UPS unit. Plan where that would be located. Then run a power bridge to where the pj will be plugged in. I have my receiver, blu-ray player, etc. on a rack, which is where my panamax is located. Then I have bridges going out to my sub and pj. The sub and pj are plugged into the bridges which are plugged into the panamax. The panamax powers everything.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-26-2012, 06:28 PM

Liked: 53
You might want consider running a 12V wire from the projector to the screen. A 12V trigger will lower the screen whenever the projector turns on and raise it when it turns off. Both the projector and the screen have to have that capability but running a 2 conductor wire is pretty inexpensive. You might want to run a Cat% cable from the equipment to the projector. That can be used for IP, RS-232 or IR if needed again inexpensive to do.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page