Screen with no wrinkles!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-26-2012, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

After reading some of the threads, I read that most retractable screens tend to get wrinkles over time. I'm looking for a 120" diagonal screen, what screen do you guys recommend, something that will never get wrinkles (or less likely)?

Also, electric or manual? I've read that many are having problems with the motor after only 1-2 years... When the electric motor dies, can you still retract the screen manually?

Also, are tensioned screens better? any good one that you guys recommend. Also, the screen cannot be permanent, it has to be installed on the ceiling.

Thanks guys, any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-27-2012, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Waves as opposed to wrinkles, but yeah, most non-tensioned screens over 100" tend to develop waves. The solution (not perfect but better) is tab-tensioned and very stiff construction. You can see my quick review of Elunevision on the page thread of its thread.
thinkbig12 likes this.

post #3 of 6 Old 06-27-2012, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 48
My impressions are that:
- Retractable screens are more prone to wrinkles than fixed screens.
- Vinyl screens are more prone to wrinkles than fiberglass-backed screens.
- Non-tensioned vinyl screens are more prone to wrinkles than tensioned ones. (Fiberglass material doesn't stretch so it doesn't need tensioning.)
- Screens using thinner material are more prone to wrinkles than those with thicker material.
- Screens with smaller diameter rollers are more prone to wrinkles than those with larger diameter rollers.

I would read the AVSforum threads on whatever screens you're considering to see if owners are experiencing problems. Does the manufacturer stand behind their product? Will the company you buy the screen from go to bat for you if your screen has wrinkles during the warranty period? I bought my Da-Lite Contour Electrol HP 2.4 from AVScience. I haven't had any problems with the screen, but I felt confident that if I did my AVScience sales rep would make it right.
thinkbig12 likes this.
post #4 of 6 Old 06-27-2012, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
did you get this one: http://eastporters.com/estore/cart.php?target=product&product_id=278&category_id=59

What is a 1.0 Gain, is it any good?

I'm debating on getting the Elite tensioned screen versus the Elunevision tensioned one.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-27-2012, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 190
post #6 of 6 Old 06-27-2012, 01:47 PM

Liked: 14
All I can say is, I got my projector setup five years ago with a Sony VW60 projector and an Elite 120 inch motorized gray non-tensioned screen.

With my setup, you might expect waviness problems. I have my satellite receivers, HTPC and Onkyo directly under the screen. The significant heat from these components comes out the front and is also vented in the back of the screen. The screen itself comes down in front of a south-facing bay/bow window. blocking out the sun. This means that sunlight gets to parts of the back of the screen from time to time.

With all of that heat and sunlight, I still don't have any wrinkles or waviness in the screen.

Maybe I'm lucky.
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Onkyo , Sony

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page