Would like you opinion: StudioTek 100 or EN4K? - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: StudioTek 100 or EN4K?
StudioTek 100 1 20.00%
Screen Excellence EN4K 4 80.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-27-2012, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I would like your opinion on the following question;

Would you rather have a 10 feet wide acoustical transparent Screen Excellence Enlightor 4K screen (wall to wall) or a smaller 7 feet wide Stewart Screen StudioTek 100 (non transparent) with the speakers along the side?

The screen would be 2,37:1 format and the viewing distance about 10-12 feet. Projector would be something like the Sony VPL-VW1000ES with anamorphic lens. The room is light controlled and the front half of the room i blacked out.

What would you choose and why?

BTW. The speakers are floorstanding models from Vienna Acoustics with matching center channel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-27-2012, 07:53 AM

Liked: 53
The 4K because you'll get better audio with proper speaker placement plus the larger screen will have more immersion. You will get a slightly better picture with the Studiotech 100 and being smaller it will be brighter. IMHO the audio is too big of a tradeoff to go with Studiotech. YMMV.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-28-2012, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
EN4K

I'm going from experience.

By matching center channel do you mean identical floorstanding vertical orientation? How will you do that without an AT screen?
post #4 of 9 Old 06-28-2012, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDUpstate View Post

EN4K
By matching center channel do you mean identical floorstanding vertical orientation? How will you do that without an AT screen?

Please elaborate on your experience! confused.gif
post #5 of 9 Old 06-28-2012, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

EN4K

At the moment I have the flat laying center channel matching the speakers, but using the same floorstanding speaker as LCR could be an option in the future (with EN4K). At the moment this is not an option. First I need to select the best screen option.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-28-2012, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I have a 138" 16:9 EN4K screen. Wall to wall. Check out my pics.

There is no comparison for the level of immersion with the speakers behind the screen, nothing to distract up front.

I came from a 106" DaLite JKP Affinity screen (Probably on par with the Stewart) with speakers behind an AT black screen wall, but the wall to wall screen is just awesome.

My JKP screen was a 0.6 gain gray screen, so the EN4K is a little *brighter" than the solid screen.

Picture quality is outstanding on the EN4K. Unless you are standing one foot from it, you can't tell it's AT.

I upgraded from an old 106" DaLite screen to the 106" JKP, and it was great, but you will always wonder what difference the AT wall to wall will make and you will end up swapping out later anyway. Just do it.
chriscmore likes this.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-28-2012, 01:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:

I have a 138" 16:9 EN4K screen. Wall to wall. Check out my pics.
There is no comparison for the level of immersion with the speakers behind the screen, nothing to distract up front.
I came from a 106" DaLite JKP Affinity screen (Probably on par with the Stewart) with speakers behind an AT black screen wall, but the wall to wall screen is just awesome.
My JKP screen was a 0.6 gain gray screen, so the EN4K is a little *brighter" than the solid screen.
Picture quality is outstanding on the EN4K. Unless you are standing one foot from it, you can't tell it's AT.
I upgraded from an old 106" DaLite screen to the 106" JKP, and it was great, but you will always wonder what difference the AT wall to wall will make and you will end up swapping out later anyway. Just do it.

You are one of the few people that has gone from a solid screen to EN4K and actually gained brightness. smile.gif I also like the EN4K scope screen with speakers behind the screen due to the audio advantage. I voted that way with my wallet. The VW1000 with A-lens will be nice and bright on a 10' wide scope EN4K screen.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #8 of 9 Old 06-28-2012, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I was thinking something similar to the comments above. I visited a DIY cinema a few months back with a 12-foot wide Enlightor 2 screen. The was a very nice experience and afterwards I have not been able to recreate the same immersion in my own home theater. I think it was mainly because the screen filled the entire wall and although the picture could have been even better with a solid screen the total experience was still better with the AT screen. From what I understand from the EN4K review in Widescreen Review the image quality of the EN4K is also quite good, although the StudioTek 100 would still be better. That is also one of the reasons I wanted to start this thread. It will make it easier to make an informed decision (and there is no way for me to preview the different options before I decide one or the other).
post #9 of 9 Old 06-29-2012, 07:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORLL View Post

Yes, I was thinking something similar to the comments above. I visited a DIY cinema a few months back with a 12-foot wide Enlightor 2 screen. The was a very nice experience and afterwards I have not been able to recreate the same immersion in my own home theater. I think it was mainly because the screen filled the entire wall and although the picture could have been even better with a solid screen the total experience was still better with the AT screen. From what I understand from the EN4K review in Widescreen Review the image quality of the EN4K is also quite good, although the StudioTek 100 would still be better. That is also one of the reasons I wanted to start this thread. It will make it easier to make an informed decision (and there is no way for me to preview the different options before I decide one or the other).

A whole front wall of image with speakers hidden and non reflective side walls so that all you see is image is awesome. Does not get much better than that.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Reply Screens

Tags
Displays , Projection Screens , Sony

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page