Question about wrinkles - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-05-2012, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've read that manual pulldown screens are the most susceptible to wrinkling due to the force being exerted in the center by pulling it down.
Would purchasing an electric screen alleviate this issue? Or is purchasing a tensioned screen the best way to go. I was somewhat considering the Elite Cinetension 2 but I saw the thread about that screen wrinkling.
If I could save a few $$s, it would help me out with the wife but I know you get what you pay for.

I'm trying to find a retractable screen that will be ceiling mounted on a white ceiling in a room where I've got fairly good control over light (we really only watch movies at night anyway). Planning on buying the Epson 3010.

Trying to figure everything out before I present my plans to the wife for approval, hopefully.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- my electro-industrial music project

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-06-2012, 06:21 AM

Liked: 53
All non-tensioned manual and electric screens develop waves eventually but how noticeable they are is the question. The matte white and high power are the least noticeable with viewing material. With any of them you will probably only notice the waves on very bright scenes of close to a solid color. Like a blue sky or ice that takes up a large portion of the screen for example. The waves aren't from pulling it down in the center, the material needs to be tensioned from all sides to not develop waves. With non-tensioned screens there is no difference in developing waves between manual and electric. Electric is cool and easier to use. A tensioned screen is the best way to go but even a basic matte white pull down will work fine for many.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-06-2012, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the response Bob.

The more I read the more it became clear that the tensioned screen was the way to go.

Trying to keep the budget down on the project, but I don't want to get something that needs to be replace in a couple of years. Also, the lower the budget, the higher success I'll have with the wife on getting the OK to proceed!

So far I think it's going to be the Epson 3010 with a Cinetension2 TE110HW2. Need to replace my Onkyo 707 with the TX-NR709 for 3D.

Having a tough time with the projectors... the Epson or the Optoma HD33. The Optoma with it's off center lens would be a problem with mounting. The Epson's lens is in the center and the joist in my ceiling happens to be dead center in the room so that's why I'm leaning towards it. Plus the extra lumens for a longer throw.

This is my first time doing this so I've had a lot of research and learning to do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old 07-06-2012, 08:46 PM

Liked: 53
The Epson and HD33 differ in their mounting in relation to the top of the screen, assuming you will be mounting the projector on the ceiling. For instance for a 100" screen the HD33's lens needs to be ~8" above the screen material. The 3010 lens needs to be at the same height as the top of the screen material. This can make a difference for mounting and or the amount of black drop (black area above the screen material) that needs to be ordered with the screen. Depending on your ceiling and screen height this might be a factor for which projector will work best in your room.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-06-2012, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I didn't know that about the HD33. I have the manuals for both units here and really hadn't looked through them thoroughly.

I have 8ft ceilings, I guess if I went with the HD33 I'd need to get the Cinetension model with the extra 24 inches of drop. That will cost a few more $$s, which doesn't help my case with the wife. I'm still not sure about how far from the ceiling the actual screen should start. I think the case for the Cinetension is 5 inches + a 6 inch drop. So a total of 11 inches from the ceiling. The room is 12 feet wide and I want the largest screen I can get with out blocking the 2 floor standing speakers in front. So it's looking like 110-120 inches. I don't want to try to get an acoustically transparent screen either as that would also inflate the total cost of doing this.

The room is 17ft long, and I guess the screen would be placed at about 2 1/2 to 3 ft from the wall, in front of the entertainment system. So I'm throwing the image about 13 to 14 feet or so. From the chart I saw posted somewhere, the 3010 should work out well in that situation. Not sure about the HD33.

I've also been looking at the Focupix thread to see if that's a viable screen option. Seems like the Cinetension would be a better choice from what I'm reading.

I did present my idea to the wife over dinner ... at first it was "you're nuts!" but within a couple of minutes she actually thought it was a great idea after I explained that the living room would retain it's look and the screen will be ceiling mounted to be brought down when we wanted to watch a movie.

Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Cinetension2 Electric Tension Acoustically Transparent 92 Projection Screen In Black Case

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page