Budget Temporary Screen Accuscreen 84in 4:3 from Tigerdirect - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-08-2012, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So looking for a cheap screen to get me by for a bit. Want to build my own 80-90in screen but just don't have the time to do what I want right now, and need something cheap to get me by for a few months. was going to get a FAVI 72in drop down, but that was a bit smaller than I wanted, and would force me to mount my projector in a sport where a future 92in wouldn't work if I wanted to go bigger.

saw this at tiger direct, works out to about 60 shipped. works out to a 77in wide screen, most likely will get some black fabric tape from amazon in a future order to mask it to 16x9.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1609661&CatId=2433

any expereince with this screen? is it any good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-08-2012, 10:43 PM

I currently use an Accuscreen 16:9 92" fixed screen (high contrast gray) and have a few complaints. The biggest issue is that the frame comes in 8 pieces. While this may not seem like a big issue, it seems to result in an unsturdy frame. All of the midpoints bow in and the frame doesn't rest flat.

If I am to understand correctly, the newer models come with four piece frames. If that's the case, I'd be confident that it'd be a much better product. Perhaps you could ask the folks at Tiger Direct if they know what kind they're selling.

I should add that I don't currently have the screen mounted with the proper hardware. That might help to straighten things out and keep it flat. As of right now, I have it hanging from some nails in the studs as a test run.

I am pleased with the picture quality. The gray works well in my room with more lights on than I would ever need. I'm still struggling with the dark room performance. I miss those bright whites. That's beyond the scope of this thread, however. I'll just leave it at, "the picture quality is satisfactorty".

Since you're looking at this as a temporary solution, I don't think you'd be too upset. I don't want to recommend the Accuscreen without knowing for sure whether or not it's the four piece or eight piece frame. Even though it may not be your permanent screen, it seems wasteful to buy something with little future utility.

If I were you, I'd look for a cheaper alternative. Have you considered buying a few yards of blackout cloth and pinning it up to the wall? It might not be pretty but it would be much cheaper and you could then repurpose the material for use behind your curtains if needed.

Sorry for the longwinded reply. All I can really say is that they're fine (and bound to be much better if you get the updated frame) and affordable. The material looks good and stretches out nicely (no wrinkles). All things considered, it would likely serve you well enough. It may be worth looking at even cheaper options if it truly is a temporary screen, though.

Good luck with your decision! Sorry that I can't speak for that particular screen but I'm confident that at least some of the qualities of my 92" gray 16:9 are observable on their other models.

- Stink
post #3 of 3 Old 07-09-2012, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the good info! the part about the unstable frame worrys me, so I think i'll pass on that and look for another option. I was planning to rig something to hang it from the cieling,

Where i'm mounting it is over the balcony to go to the basement. originally and I might still mount it on the wall, but then I would have to mess with a light fixture that would be hanging directly in front of it, and I live in a rental so debating if I want to go thru the hassle and cost of puting something else there.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page